[Suggestion] Sending tile on grid update

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

[Suggestion] Sending tile on grid update

Postby APXEOLOG » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:28 am

This is suggestion to loftar.

Could you think about sending not all grid on grid's update but the only set of updated tiles? Terraforming makes my internet feel bad and even with good internet there is pain to process terafforing from 3-5 ppl at once.

EDIT

Or maybe at least merge grid changes from different ppl and send them at once to avoid traffic-spamming
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Re: [Suggestion] Sending tile on grid update

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:17 pm

I have wanted to do something like it, but the issue is more complex than it at first may seem.

In particular, I can't just send "tile updates", because such a protocol would an ACKing scheme of its own. It could be possible, instead, to send differential updates to clients re-requesting previous mapcuts, but since clients may have missed some diffs in a stream of updates, such a thing would require the server to keep pair-wise diffs between a history of some size of previous versions of the same mapcuts, and that's when I start to think the complexity of it seems absurd. :)

Also, even more importantly than preserving bandwidth I think would be the client's ability to recalculate map meshes from data asynchronously, so it doesn't have to freeze up all the time during digging. That part would be my first priority.
loftar

Re: [Suggestion] Sending tile on grid update

Postby APXEOLOG » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Ok that would be pretty fine too
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Return to Ideas & Innovations