Water Filtration System (water purity)

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Water Filtration System (water purity)

Postby jtwain80 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:25 am

Water is used in a lot of recipes, with no current way to increase its purity. Here's an idea for dealing that:

Make a new buildable structure called Water Filtration system. Fill it with 100l of water, fuel it with charcoal (for filters) and let it run. When it's done, you get 10l of water at a higher purity level. If you want, you can collect 100l of higher purity water and put it back into the system, to produce even higher purity water. The amount of purity increase can be adjusted for whatever balance seems appropriate. Alternatively, set it up similar to smelters, where there are X slots, and you put in either buckets of water or charcoal. The more coal you put in the greater the purity increase, but the fewer buckets of water increased, similar to the lime / ore system.

High purity water wouldn't be self replicating in this system. The purity of water you reach is always dependent on how much effort you're willing to put into it, rather than just reaching high purity once and then maintaining. Carrying buckets of water, and making coal clamps, is the negative pull forcing players to balance work with reward, which in my opinion is a good model for purity mechanics.
jtwain80

Re: Water Filtration System (water purity)

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:30 am

I like it!
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:41 am

It's a decent idea, but there's one thing missing. Purity needs to have long term grind, not just short term. Somehow there has to be caps or limitations on how high the water P can get, and that cap should be something you can work to increase. I expect at some point we'll be able to plant trees and get better charcoal, naturally it would make sense if there was a lockstep method between the two. Better charcoal = slightly better water. Better water = slightly better tree, rinse and repeat.

Water P would always start at 1, but with better filtration available, how high you can filter the water would increase as your town progressed.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:16 pm

If you're using 100L of water, you should get 100L out. One could argue that some is lost during the filtration process, but not 90% of it.

Distillation was a known method by this point in time, too, and it could be used for water or for alcohol (if introduced).
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Sevenless wrote:Water P would always start at 1, but with better filtration available, how high you can filter the water would increase as your town progressed.

This makes for some interesting PvP happenings, if there was a way to decrease the purity of the opponents water supply.

I like the idea in general, especially with Sevenless addition of multiple stage purity enhancements.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Osmedirez » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:30 am

It seems like having water of different types of high purity would also be interesting.

IE - salt purity, mercury purity, etc..

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the purity system, but wouldn't mixing things of different purity types reset the purity level? ie - 75% salt mixed with 75% lead wouldn't give you a higher purity, right?

In that case, I could see different types of processing done for different purities, which would involve more work for a town, a lot of work for a hermit, but would be good for increasing specialization later on, perhaps..

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but it would increase the grind (4X the work for access to all purities) and could be make the process of crafting more complex.

Mostly this makes sense for food that requires water, but it could be relevant to metal crafting, pottery, tanning..?
"We've come for The Darkness"
Osmedirez

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:01 am

Osmedirez wrote:It seems like having water of different types of high purity would also be interesting.

IE - salt purity, mercury purity, etc..

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the purity system, but wouldn't mixing things of different purity types reset the purity level? ie - 75% salt mixed with 75% lead wouldn't give you a higher purity, right?

In that case, I could see different types of processing done for different purities, which would involve more work for a town, a lot of work for a hermit, but would be good for increasing specialization later on, perhaps..

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but it would increase the grind (4X the work for access to all purities) and could be make the process of crafting more complex.

Mostly this makes sense for food that requires water, but it could be relevant to metal crafting, pottery, tanning..?

No you understand the system right, x4 the work if you want all purity types. It's a little mind boggling for a town to try and do all the purities it needs honestly. I'm thinking after a couple months trade might step in. Town A) specilizes in lead, makes awesome lead stuff and sells it to town B) which specializes in mercury.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby radkid1 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:14 pm

use it make salt to
Image Image
radkid1

Return to Ideas & Innovations