Sitting and sleeping

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Sitting and sleeping

Postby aragaer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Currently there is no furniture in game and these two actions would make it necessary to have beds and chairs.

Sitting - while sitting you have a buff that increases (marginally) effectiveness of all healing stuff and maybe the rate of healing itself. Eating while seated is better than eating while running. You can seat by the fire, in lean-to, on a log, but having a bench is better while comfy chair is even better. "Better" means higher bonus. Or maybe some other bonus (faster training?)

Sleeping - Another buff that builds up while you're sleeping and drains while you're not sleeping. The buff itself could be higher food effectiveness or training speed again. Bed could be proper bed, makeshift bed made of branches and grass and portable bedroll.
aragaer

Re: Sitting and sleeping

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Sitting is one thing. I can see that as being maybe useful.

But you should never have an element of a video game where it's beneficial to not play it.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby aragaer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:46 pm

If you mean "not playing while my character is sitting or sleeping" then I'd add that I've thought of both as of short intervals of time, about a minute long each. I often find myself having to wait while my phlegm is recovering before I start digging again, being able to sit down to speed that process up would be handy.
aragaer

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Sleeping has a use in HnH: it removes travel weariness while offline.

I could see a buff that is built up over time while a person slept. Give a small bonus to proficiency gain as if the person had, say... 10% more BBile. The bonus would last X minutes for every hour the person was logged off up to a fixed set of time. Heck, you could tie it to the quality of the bed so better beds provided a slightly better bonus.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:00 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Sleeping has a use in HnH: it removes travel weariness while offline.

I could see a buff that is built up over time while a person slept. Give a small bonus to proficiency gain as if the person had, say... 10% more BBile. The bonus would last X minutes for every hour the person was logged off up to a fixed set of time. Heck, you could tie it to the quality of the bed so better beds provided a slightly better bonus.

I don't see that buff being good enough to actually bother with, yet at the same time I can't think of a buff that is, but isn't to the point where you'd be forced to log off to get it.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Bluestone » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:20 pm

I think it would be a good thing to let sitting increase the rate that your humours regenerate after eating food. Sometimes waiting for those bars to tick up is very tedious when you are completely safe (as safe as you can be in salem anyway lol) and just waiting for more phlegm or whatnot, to do a mundane task like digging.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby staxjax » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:48 pm

aragaer wrote:I often find myself having to wait while my phlegm is recovering before I start digging again.

Get more phlegm. With 15 phlegm and labouring there is no waiting for your phlegm to regen.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Bluestone » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 pm

staxjax wrote:
aragaer wrote:I often find myself having to wait while my phlegm is recovering before I start digging again.

Get more phlegm. With 15 phlegm and labouring there is no waiting for your phlegm to regen.

I beg to differ, it depends how much digging you are doing.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Sacre » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Maybe having humours regenerate at a rate so slow that it'd only be feasible to do if you actually DID go to sleep IRL as well? That way you get a little kickstart on the new day. :p
Sacre

Postby staxjax » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Bluestone wrote:
staxjax wrote:

I beg to differ, it depends how much digging you are doing.

No it doesnt. With 15 phlegm and labouring, eating food will regen your phlegm faster than you can lose it from digging.
Last edited by staxjax on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations