Snap Crackle and Pop - Thought on PvP

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Snap Crackle and Pop - Thought on PvP

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:24 am

Would be interesting if non-partied players in the area could make noise upon entering the player's "area of view".

In the forest, a gentle crack of a twig. On quarries the sound of a kicked stone tumbling down a slope. On pavement the sound of a boot scuffing the hard stone tiling.

The chance of hearing the noise could be equipment and proficiency check based. Soft moccasins would severely reduce the chance of making noise, but would give up the combat advantage provided by other harder, european soled shoes. The hearing check based on Frontiers and Wilderness, while the sneaking check would be Cloak and Dagger.

With player radar, this isn't exactly a crucial element of gameplay. But often people working in town don't notice a warparty creeping up to their walls, and semi afk characters would have something to perhaps catch their attention if they were looking off the screen. Mostly, it's an atmospheric addition to gameplay, and it would fit nicely into proficiencies being for non-critical, but helpful elements of gameplay.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Re: Snap Crackle and Pop - Thought on PvP

Postby Droj » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:26 am

We've got one for bears, so I guess it's feasible.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby painhertz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Would you like the game to fight for you too?
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:27 pm

painhertz wrote:Would you like the game to fight for you too?

Honestly, it makes no difference to me pain. As I said, with player radar already in this is a completely aesthetic addition to the game. It does not impact gameplay at all.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Sacre » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm seeing people walking in and out of other people's sight radius just to create that noise a million times already.
Sacre

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Sacre wrote:I'm seeing people walking in and out of other people's sight radius just to create that noise a million times already.

Eh, that could easily be handled by a cooldown mechanism. You can only hear a player once per 10 minutes, to prevent noise spam.

Anyway, since it's an aesthetic thing I doubt it'll happen, but a thought is a thought :)
Sevenless

Postby Sacre » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:06 am

Sevenless wrote:
Sacre wrote:I'm seeing people walking in and out of other people's sight radius just to create that noise a million times already.

Eh, that could easily be handled by a cooldown mechanism. You can only hear a player once per 10 minutes, to prevent noise spam.

Anyway, since it's an aesthetic thing I doubt it'll happen, but a thought is a thought :)

This suggestion seems more and more stretched. If it only happened once per player every ten minutes, people could just walk into sight range and walk back for five minutes, then come back without making noise and jab the other player if he's AFK, without him noticing.
Sacre

Return to Ideas & Innovations