Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Salem

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Fishing Artifacts & Chumming the Waters

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:53 am

Day 42: Fishing Artifacts & Chumming the Waters

Fishing Bonus speeds up fishing and net animations, decreases wear (in place of flora and fauna which does it currently), increases the chance of getting perfect fish, and increase the amount of fish you get when casting a fishing net. Additionally Fishing bonus increase the chance to get rare items when butchering fish.

Artifacts
Shark Tooth
Glossopetrae (also spell power and feral defense)
Rainbow Fish Scales
Fish Hook (also Piercing, common combat)
Any Lure (most lures will have been removed but the few that remain should also be artifacts) (also affluence, rummaging, productivity)
Whale Bone Buttons (also defense stats)
Fibre Netting (also weaving, productivity, and rummaging)

Clicking a Bucket of Chum on Deep Ocean Tiles will empty the bucket has a chance of spawning a shark, but it will be enraged meaning it deals more damage but has a higher chance of giving rare items. Swimming in the ocean and receiving blood damage, IE from a cannonball, being run over with an ocean craft, receiving an attack from other players, or from creatures, also has a chance of spawning an enraged shark.
pistolshrimp

Re: Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Sa

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:01 am

Day 43: Harbor District

New District in Providence. The Den and the snake oil salesman are moved here, to enter here one must have less than 100 affluence slotted or an eye-patch, hook hand, or peg leg. Affluence requirement to get into den removed and replaced with criminality bonus requirement. Den Master also sells laced porcupine spines.

Hookah Changes: As madness changes removed the negative penalty of madness hookah's function needs to be changed. Hookahs continue to give inspiration as well as gives a "Confidence" buff which lasts 4 hours. Confidence increases what ever artifact bonus you have on by 10%. The Hookah at the mason's lodge and the Den can now both be smoked in the same day.

A Tavern will be in here for alcohols.

Harbor District Executioner: For 150 silver instead of killing you this executioner will either Chop Hand, Chop Leg, or Gouge Eye. Currently Chop hand replaces hand with a hook and disables the use of some equitable items. Chop leg will replace leg with a peg leg and disables the use of run or sprint. Gouge Eye permanently replaces one of your eyes with an eye patch and reduces inspiration regeneration rate. However these replacement body parts now have artifact bonuses as well.
Hook - Adds Piercing Bonus
Peg Leg - Adds Fishing Bonus
Eye Patch - Adds Criminality

Black Market Vendor - Sells and buys alternate items, a few ideas:
Buy Silk
All Alcohols

Sells
Decorative Lace moved to Black Market Vendor
Molasses
English Tea Leaves - When boiled drinking English tea increases passive inspiration regeneration by 10% for each sip up to 100%.
pistolshrimp

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 am

Day 44: Book Rework

I think the capability to write books for fun should still be preserved but it has overall been an underwhelming mechanic as has historically only really rewarded trolling. Instead of replacing this mechanic I want to add to it. What I would change about it is that the Nobleman Barnes has his bestsellers list started fresh and that the font book font be changed to not a script based font. Our current font is virtually unreadable and books were printed back then rather than completely handwritten so we aren't really losing anything historical. I personally really like IM FELL DW Pica which is a good mix of readability and thematic feel.

New item for Nobleman Barnes:
Bookmarks
1 Bookmark for each Proficiency type, they do nothing on their own.

New Books.
All inspirationals can be placed inside a book press, additionally can all leaves, and all Proficiency Bookmarks.

Inspirational Books:
When 2x Leather and Amber-Coarse Grain Thread and any number of inspirationals are put into a book press it will make an inspirational book.
They can be Studied and are consumed just like inspirationals. The Proficiencies gained are equal to the sum of what was placed in the book press. If a Book mark is placed in with the inspirationals that Proficiency will NOT be counted. The Bookmarks is consumed when the book is made.

Example: Lets say 2x meatshreds are placed inside the resulting book would Give:
30 Cloak & Dagger
300 Flora & Fauna
500 Hunting & Hideworking
260 Sparks & Embers
100 Sugar & Spice
Costing a total of 1,190 inspiration when studied.

However if a Flora & Fauna Bookmark was used then the result would be:
30 Cloak & Dagger
260 Sparks & Embers
100 Sugar & Spice
Costing a total of 890 inspiration when studied.

If a Flora & Fauna Bookmark, Sparks & Embers Bookmark, and Cloak & Dagger Bookmark was used the result would be:
100 Sugar & Spice
Costing a total of 600 inspiration when studied.

The idea is that with this mechanic you can tailor books not only to grinding profeciencies but also towards unlocking particular skills.

Uses:
The number of uses of an Inspirational Book is generally 1,but this number can be higher, generally by chance, which is increased by:
*Your Arts & Crafts Proficiency
*The amount of paper inserted into the press when crafting the book, up to the Number of unique inspirationals used. The press accepts up to 200 pieces of paper but you receive no extra bonus for pieces of paper part the amount of unique inspirationals used, so in the 2x meat shards example above only 1 piece of paper would add a chance bonus.
Additionally each bookmark counts as one piece of paper.
*If we have an Author Profession this should automatically give +1 use on each book made.

Naming a Book:
Inserting a Scribbled Piece of paper will use up to the first 50 characters as the books name. A Scribbled Piece counts as a paper item when crafting your book and therefore increases the chance of extra uses.

Nobleman Barnes Bestsellers List Changes:
Nobleman Barnes Now has 4 Lists which keep track of inspirational Books. Nobleman Barnes does not keep track of written books any more.
All Time Best Sellers List
Best Selling
Hot Titles
New Titles

New Titles:
This is a list the last 50 Named Books that were crafted. When a new book is crafted the last one will fall off the list. This list is emptied at the end of each season.

Hot Titles:
This is a list the last 50 Named Books that were purchased. When a new book is purchased the book that hasn't been purchased in the longest amount of time falls off the list. This list is emptied at the end of each season.

Best Selling:
Top 10 Books purchased this season.

Hovering over books on any of these lists shows the Author, the Uses and the amounts of each Profiecenies gained when studying that book, as well as a the price of the book. A books price is an equation from the total inspiration from all uses + 100 base silver. Each time a book is purchased on the same account the price for that account goes up by a set amount based on the book price equation. Not doubled, but lets says like 25%. This should reduce the ease authors currently have at artificially inflating their own book sales, but not make it impossible.
pistolshrimp

Postby reeper_aut » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:51 am

not sure how you copy those books so you get into leaderboard.
do you require all the materials?

i take it that those leaderboards also feed into status?

currently # of books sold drops if the book is consumed (contracts, dopped on water, etc).
guess that's different here?
reeper_aut

Postby Taipion » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:23 pm

- There should be no leaderboard at all for "inspirational books", full stop, this just does not make sense.

- The 4 lists for the books-leaderboard should be for written books only instead of inspirationals, otherwise just as you said.

Crafting inspirational books (besides "written" books) is a nice idea, but a little too much work for what it does as you described it.
Such books having many uses might work out, but it's pretty much impossible to balance due to the variety of possible options.

Instead, these inspirational books could be used unlock a specific skill, yea, really! :D
- The unlocked skill can not be named or selected directly.
- The unlocked skill requirements need to be surpassed by the books inspiration points for each profession that the skill requires respectively.
- The unlocked skill is chosen, also considering the statement above, to be that one skill that is closest to the inspiration points (for each profession) of the book.
- To read a book that unlocks a skill, the reader needs to have literacy (!) and 80% average profession levels of what the skill requires. (or maybe another % of the prof lvls, just a question of balancing)
- Certain skills (like, basically only cain & abel, or what else...?) are either exempt from being directly unlocked by books, or have severe side effects that need to be high enough to offset the "shortcut" like adding (several) madness lvls, whereas it is possible (albeit rare) to gain so many that you'd instantly die. ¦]
- There may be a general side effect of reading books in general, higher for higher end skills, like: sudden loss (or gain!) of inspiration, madness lvls or black bile, directly triggering madness episodes or other things...
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:14 pm

I'm glad this one was a little controversial.

Taipion wrote:Crafting inspirational books (besides "written" books) is a nice idea, but a little too much work for what it does as you described it.

If anything this mechanic seems more OP to me than too much effort for that value. I personally feel what makes this suggestion meaningful and worthwhile for the effort is precisely the ability to buy the book, not the crafting of it. Buying the book gives you an exact copy of the book and all its uses and gives players to essentially ability to convert silver into proficiency points.

Here's another example, you take 100 Sand, put in all the other bookmarks so you end up with a 25,000 Natural Philosophy Inspirational Book, lets say you get 2x bonus uses at crafting. Now you go buy 10 of those books, the cost increase is probably not too bad at that point, or you could use other players or accounts. 3 x 25,000 x 10 = 750,000 Natural Philosophy for just the cost of digging 100 sand and silver.

The overall idea is that it can turn any inspirational into a perfect efficiency inspirational, or be tailored towards certain goals, ie like having a book collection that can be used towards getting an alt to the place you want it without having to have a ton of inspirationals lying around.

I have like 20 books I've collect of found an if some broke into my claim and dropped them all in the river I wouldn't bat an eye. That's how trolly and pointless most of these player written books are. I do think we should keep track of these too, and actually encourage them more, but I am still trying to figure out how, I would like to have a written book leader board, but I was going to move that off of Nobleman Barnes and put an NPC in the library, sort of Nobleman Barnes was for Selling and the Library NPC for reading and collecting.

Taipion wrote:- There should be no leaderboard at all for "inspirational books", full stop, this just does not make sense.
Instead, these inspirational books could be used unlock a specific skill, yea, really! :D
- The unlocked skill can not be named or selected directly.
- The unlocked skill requirements need to be surpassed by the books inspiration points for each profession that the skill requires respectively.
- The unlocked skill is chosen, also considering the statement above, to be that one skill that is closest to the inspiration points (for each profession) of the book.
- To read a book that unlocks a skill, the reader needs to have literacy (!) and 80% average profession levels of what the skill requires. (or maybe another % of the prof lvls, just a question of balancing)
- Certain skills (like, basically only cain & abel, or what else...?) are either exempt from being directly unlocked by books, or have severe side effects that need to be high enough to offset the "shortcut" like adding (several) madness lvls, whereas it is possible (albeit rare) to gain so many that you'd instantly die. ¦]
- There may be a general side effect of reading books in general, higher for higher end skills, like: sudden loss (or gain!) of inspiration, madness lvls or black bile, directly triggering madness episodes or other things...

I do like some of these ideas, and I have a second part to books called Human Leather Bound Books, which I will post in 2 days after I do Human Leather today, which I might make use of some of these ideas.

reeper_aut wrote:not sure how you copy those books so you get into leaderboard. do you require all the materials? Currently # of books sold drops if the book is consumed (contracts, dropped on water, etc). Guess that's different here?

Yeah, you would buy an exact copy of the book and the leaderboard would keep track of books sold, not books in existence. It pushes some of the value away from the book existing and onto the book being worth buying, although just like in real life the best selling can be inflated buy one person buying a lot of the same book, however the cost goes up per account to reduce spam. The way I see if is that any book can be purchase a bunch of times by the same person and that will mostly likely be reflected in the hot titles list, but for a book to get into the best selling it will most likely need to be a useful book that appeals to a large number of players.

reeper_aut wrote:i take it that those leaderboards also feed into status?

Being on any leader board affects status, however only the best selling list and all time best sellers will count as leaderboards, the others are simply there for buying purposes.
pistolshrimp

Human Leather

Postby pistolshrimp » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:05 pm

Day 45: Human Leather

When Scalping a player you now also have a chance to receive a "Raw Swathe of Human Flesh". The higher the scalp score the higher the chance.

Raw Swathe of Human Flesh can be dried to make a Dried Swathe of Human Flesh which can be put in a tanning tub which will produce "Human Leather".

Human Leather Crafts
Mostly Human Leather will be a variable ingredient in recipes producing different outputs.
Leather Chaps ---> Suspiciously Familiar Pants
Pioneers Shoes --> Suspiciously Familiar Shoes
Opera Mask ---> Leather Face Mask
Trappers Jacket --> Suspiciously Familiar Jacket
Flask --> Suspiciously Familiar Flask (Holds 1.5 liters)
Fyne Leather Backpack --> Suspiciously Familiar Backpack
Fyne Emerald ---> Lost Souls
Leather Knot Detail ---> Human Leather Knot Detail (spellpower artifact)

New Recipe:
Skin Pocket --> 1x Human Leather Cloak and Dagger slotted Pocket for Pants only
pistolshrimp

Postby pistolshrimp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 am

*This is a small change since I had a busier day that I thought, so I need to push human leather bound books back out a bit. The idea for this is to fix soil digging, make digging dirt a little less grindy, a touch more realistic.*

Day 46: Digging Changes

Soil Digging Artifacts increase the chance of a Lucky Dig, a Lucky Dig is where you Dig to full capacity, or down to even if you Ctrl+Dig in a single tick.

Reduce rate or arrowheads and rusty coins, remove clay, and earthworms from digging finds.

*Earthworms as we know them in North America are an introduced species and during colonial times they probably't couldn't be found while digging.*

Granite, Lime, Stone, and Gneiss can now be found while digging.

*New England soil is rife with stones, sometimes it feels like you can't dig a single shovel full without hitting a rock. Apparently its because during the last ice age the glaciers pushed rocks many of the rocks from Canada down south to New England. I know this is something that matter to exactly 0 people other than me but I'm putting it here anyways.*

Spruce Roots can be found when digging.
Hornets Nest can be rarely found when digging, does a small amount of blood damage when finding one.

New Digging find, Mending Stone ---> Insprirational, counts as Any Stone but with new pavement, cracked stone with moss in between stones.
Flavor Text: "Good fences make good neighbors."

Passive Gains when finding any digging finds:
Rusty Coin + 10 Arts & Crafts
Arrowhead + 10 Hunting & Hideworking
Tuber +10 Stock and Cultivars
Granite +10 Hammer & Nail
Flint +10 Sparks and Embers
Lime +10 Natural Philosophy
Stone +10 Mines & Mountains
Gniess +10 Herbs & Sprouts
Spruce Roots +10 Thread & Needle
Traces of the Lost Colony + 100 Cloak & Dagger
Runestone Shard + 100 Law Lore
Medding Stone + 100 Faith & Wisdom
Hornets Nest + 100 Flora & Fauna
pistolshrimp

Postby Taipion » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:43 am

Why remove earthworms and clay? This does not have to be historically accurate...

Also, what is meant by "passive gain"? is it +10 as on inspirationals or +10 lvls? :D
The first one would be too pointless to have it at all, the 2nd would be way too OP, just saying.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby pistolshrimp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:22 am

Taipion wrote:Why remove earthworms and clay? This does not have to be historically accurate...
Also, what is meant by "passive gain"? is it +10 as on inspirationals or +10 lvls? :D
The first one would be too pointless to have it at all, the 2nd would be way too OP, just saying.

I've never used an earthworm I dug up and rarely used the clay. So why not remove them? I mean honestly I really don't care either way.
The passive gain is just like how you get a little hammer and nail while chopping trees, or mines and mountains when you are chipping stones, etc. Finding any object while digging would give a tiny amount of passive proficiency gains. Yes, it would be largely pointless, but no more pointless than passive proficiency is currently.
pistolshrimp

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations