Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Salem

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Sa

Postby matan002 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:06 pm

Holy **** Ronch, what is your problem? Let the man spend time on ideas that might or might not do anything at all...
Lachlaan wrote:The motherbats await a spanking, for the sake of fields.
matan002

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:18 am

Day 35: Preparing for Sea Changes - Part 2 Shellfish Changes

*More changes to add more depth and diversity to water biomes and ultimately to suggest "New Sea/Water Vessels" while also giving players a reason to use them.*

Crabs and Oysters now longer spawn in Freshwater Shelltraps or in the shallows of Freshwater bodies of water, exclusive to oceans. Mussels now replace them in freshwater placed traps and wild spawning. Pearls can also be found in mussels. Crawfish are now freshwater specific.

Tadpoles spawn in Freshwater traps. Tadpoles when left in a Shellfish Trap go through 3 stages, each one 1 day long. Tadpole, Polywog, and then frog. Tadpole and Polywog are Inspirations, Polywogs being a much better inspirational than a tadpole. Polywogs can be dissected, give frog legs only by chance, but have a higher drop rate of mysterious lilypads than frogs.

New Water Boime: Deep Sea, this will not look any different but is denoted by being a certain amount of tiles from the shore.

New Structure: Lobster Pot: 1 Fibre Netting, 2x oiled boards, 2x planned boards, 1x rope. Works like a Shellfish trap but for the Deep Sea. These are automatically Claimed so stealing from A Lobster Pot drops scents.

New Liquid Item: Chum. Requires a Meat Grinder and any unprocessed meat.
Meat Shreds = .1 liters
Cut = .2 liters
Steak = .5 liters
Slab = 2 liters.
Right clicking a vessel of Chum onto a shellfish trap or lobster pot fills extracts .25 liters of Chum for each open slot and fills it with .25 kg of Chum. Chum can also be added to a Compost Bin.

Lobster Pot Spawns:
King Crab, Lobster, Blue Lobster(very rare, inspirational, dissecting gives guaranteed lobster claw), Shrimp.
pistolshrimp

Preparing for Sea Changes - Part 3

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:07 am

Day 36: Preparing for Sea Changes - Part 3 Unmentionables, Spices, Deep Sea Crates

*More changes to add more depth and diversity to water biomes unmentionable give added reasons to interact with water biomes and Deep Sea Crates tie spices, and therefore better Gourmet Value, to Deep Sea exploration, therefore giving reasons for people to go out into the ocean. This is preparation for "New Sea/Water Vessels".

Unmentionables are very Rare unique inspiarationals which when found automatically satisfy any non level 5 or 10 madness craving. There are 11 different Unmentionables each one found in a different place.
Digging Dirt
Digging on Ocean Beach
Digging on Freshwater Beach
Digging on Rocky Beach
Found in Fresh Water Shellfish Traps
Found in Salt Water Shellfish Traps
Found in Lobster Pots
Caught while fishing in Freshwater
Caught while fishing in Salt Water
Found in Deep Sea Crates
Found when when mining.
These can all be put into a Book Maker, if one of each is placed into a book maker it will make a Necromonicon.
Reading a Necromonicon unlocks Knowledge of the Old Gods skill. Reading a Necromonicon destroys it.

Knowledge of the Old Gods Skill (I will go into this more later because I don't have it all figure out yet XP )

Deep Sea Crates:
These populate on Deep Sea Tiles and function a bit like hollow logs on land. While there is room for additional items to spawn in these, their main function is to spawn are spices used in New Gluttony and Perfume making.

New Dry Goods Spices:
Allspice, Cayenne, Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, Nutmeg

Potable Spices:
Horseradish, Mint, Sage, Thyme, Rosemary

Etc.
Mint can be boiled to make Mint Tea which gives a boost to your Sleep Bonus. .1 for each sip up to +1 sleep bonus.
pistolshrimp

Preparing for Sea Changes - Part 4 Fluid Dynamics

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:14 am

Day 37: Preparing for Sea Changes - Part 4 Fluid Dynamics

*This change adds passive movement to water, which is more dynamic in the ocean than on land. Also introduces damage to watercraft from non-decay which makes it more dangerous to take your canoe out into the deep ocean and therefore giving more value to Ocean Craft. Both of these changes make being a good at steering and and "knowing" the ocean, aka being a good captain, a valued trait.*

Rivers have passive movement, flowing in the direction they are facing, generally west to east, north to south. Movement in a watercraft against the flow is the same speed as movement is now, but going with the flow is slightly faster. Doing nothing in a river will slowly push you down the river.

The Ocean has passive movement depending on whether there is a Hot Spot, Cold Spot, or neither beneath it. Hot Spots passive movement is North, Cold Spot passive Movement is South, Neither is West. In this way we have currents.

Hitting creatures in any watercraft causes a tiny amount of damage to your watercraft. Hitting kritters should not cause damage. Hitting Crates causes a tiny amount of damage. Hitting another watercraft does a tiny amount of damage. Damage taken depends on your Hammer & Nail proficiency, the creature you hit (if hitting a creature), and the teir of your watercraft, ie a canoe takes more damage than a rowboat, and a rowboat more than a raft, etc.

Beaver Dam Event, a wall of sticks block the river. To destroy the damn you must Pick Branches 10 times. As soon as the first branch is picked 3 Enraged Beavers Spawn and attack you.
Butchering these Beavers will give 1x Beaver Teeth, 2x Gelatinous Lard, 1x Beaver Tail, and 2x Beaver Glands.
Beaver Gland can be drained for .1 liter of Castoreum. Castoreum can be used as a spice when cooking and a perfume ingredient. 1 liter of Castoreum is required to upgrade Bee Skep to Bee Hive, which has a larger radius, honey comb can be collected from a Bee Hive without destroying it then slowly refills.
Hitting a Beaver Dam will damage watercraft.
pistolshrimp

Piracy

Postby pistolshrimp » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:56 am

My bad, I got caught up in some things, but I had a longer suggestion to make up for it.

Day 38: Piracy

*Adding elements of pirates feels both antithetical to Salem as well as perfectly fitting. On one hand too much will detract from Salem's theme, but at the same time a little might be appropriate, given the time-period and the fact that crime, pvp, and murder is such an integral part of the game. Also devs have said they want to include more watercraft, sharks, and buried treasure which all scream pirates. *

New Skill: Ocean Exploration
Unlocks 2 New Watercraft:
Cutter - Smaller 1 mast Ship, Writ of Explorer
Schooner - Larger 2 mast Ship, Requires Writ of Privateer
Both Cutter's and Schooner's take very little damage from hitting creatures or crafts smaller than themselves, although a Cutter will take damage from hitting a Schooner. Schooner can never be completely destroyed. At 1% they will lose their hit box and become unmovable until repaired. It would be cool if they had also changed their model to a shipwreck model.

Writ of Privateer is purchased from IOUS.

Telescopes
Telescope - 1x Glass, 1x Wrought Iron
Admiral's Telescope - 1x Glass, 1x Blistersteel
Pirate's Telescope - Store Tool Item

Overall Concept:
Cutter and Schooners work a little like a Town, where you have to name your Writ, and once built can offer to Join Crew. If you are part of a Schooner crew you you do not leave scents on Deep Ocean tiles, with the exception of stealing from Lobster Pots. Deep Ocean tiles are shrouded in Darkness, the only light comes from the ship itself. This Light is projected in a small radius around the ship and in a cone from the front of the ship.

The amount of light a ship gives off is dependent on the the telescope used and the rudder of the ship. Rudders control the Speed, Durability, and Vision(Light) and are variable based on the wood used.
Rudder: 2x Nails 10x Oiled Boards
As items from Wood remember the Tree they came from, the rudders can be tailored to your desired attributes. For example Oak might add 3 points to Strength but subtract 1 from speed, where-as elm might add 1 to speed and 1 to light, etc. At the end all the points from all the wood used are added up, given a percent bonus for purity and a small bonus based on the makers Hammer and Nail.

A rudder can only be attached by the owner of the schooner or the Cutter, but can be changed at any time when not in combat although there will be an long-ish animation to make changing right before battle risky. Damage done during this animation is doubled.

A Cutter has 2 places to build cannons. A Schooner has 4. They work like long range mortars where firing time is reduces by spark and embers of the firer. Loading a Cannon ball has a long animation. Cannons do damage to the boat and blood damage to any players in the quadrant that got hit by a cannon ball. A Cutter has 4 Quadrants: Each side, the Steering deck and the front, where as a Schooner has 8 with 2 on each side. Hitting a swimming player with a cannon ball does blood damage as well as a large amount of phlegm damage.

Coming withing 2 tiles of an ocean-craft, whether you are swimming or any watercraft, your can right-click to board it. Ocean-craft also have a gangplank which can be right-click and select disembark to get off. If at sea this will be "Abandon Ship". Hitting a pilgrim with an Ocean-craft will not do damage to your ship but will do a moderate amount of blood and phlegm damage to the pilgrim. If a knocked out pilgrim is ran over with an Schooner it will scoop up that pilgrim and deposits them on the deck.

Steering an Ocean-craft to the providence do, allows you to dock it, there for a fee of X silver pieces per day. Ships past their payments will be impounded until the fee is payed. The Gold Piece store and the Majesty's Stall will also sell longer term dock rentals as well a debt forgiveness item. Once docked all anyone on the ship is sent "to Providence...." Right-clicking the generic ship model at the Providence Dock will automatically cause you to board any ship that you are a crew member of so long as the ship is docked there and dock fees have been paid.

RECAP:
Spices are tied to ocean exploration, in other words in order to make the highest gourmet foods people need to go into the ocean to collect spices. Additionally there are new shellfish, monsters/creature and fish (i will cover that later) which also draw people out there. Going out there is still possible in a raft, rowboat, or even canoe, although it is extra dangerous, pushing people into building ocean-craft. Cannons push people to have crews of at least 2 people, with larger crews helping more. Crafts are personalized, being able to be named and customized based on the wood used. Darkness and currents make building your own ocean maps/ knowing the ocean/ being a good captain beneficial and can be the differences between escaping a pirate and death. Mechanics are in place to allow for sea battles and pirates don't leave scents.
pistolshrimp

Re: Piracy

Postby Taipion » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:42 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:My bad, I got caught up in some things, but I had a longer suggestion to make up for it.

...and I was just about to make a thread, next to the usual "is Salem dead?"-threads, that would have read "is Pistoshrimp dead?". :lol:

Did not expect you to just stop, after keeping it going for so long.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby reeper_aut » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:28 pm

LOL
you, on your knees, in that costume .....

thanks for that nightmare ..... :lol:
reeper_aut

Getting Caught Up

Postby pistolshrimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:26 am

lol, yeah, I'm working on a kind of tedious non salem mapping project. I'm really bad with projects because I get super caught up in them and forget about all my other responsibilities. I do appreciate that people noticed tho. Keep me honest and make me feel appreciated, or at least effectively annoying, at the same time. :)

Getting Caught Up

Day 39: Treasure

Treasure Chest are a new structure. Treasure Chests can be buried like a Coffin, but only on Ocean or Sandy Beach. While they have inventory slots and one can place items in to bury if they wish, they also work a bit like hollow logs and will generate "Treasure" over time, therefore keeping them buried for a long time can give you cool items but risks someone finding them before you dig it up.Treasure Chests cannot be buried on claimed land, and if claimed over they cannot be dug up until the land is unclaimed. Treasure Chests can be buried on claimed land, but do not spawn treasure items, but in this way they can still be used to hide personal objects if you have sand on your claim.

Treasure Spawns:
Cuts Gems (all cuts, large and small gems)
Silver Pieces
Gold Pieces (used in secondary salem store)
Golden Goblet
Gold Bars
Silver Bars
Coin Collections
Any Chains
Be-Jeweled Dagger
Silver Dagger
Gold Dagger
Silver Reales - Function like Golden Eggs, where they can be melted into a Silver Bar on a crucible using the Golden Bar recipe.

The most common item to spawn will be Any Tokens

Daggers will be to swords what like pistols are to firearms. They can be dual wielded but do less damage and can't be used to parry.

A note on how to do invisible items. Devs mentioned they wanted to do buried treasure a wild back but couldn't figure out how. My guess the problem is the items tend to show up on the minimap if you know how to edit your radar xml, however I think they happened upon the solution already with their wishing well. Don't try to hide the item, but change its model to one that already exists but is common. For Animal Traps I suggested earlier use Autumn Grass. For Treasure Chests you could use something like seaweed.

Day 40: Sea Monsters

*My choice for creatures are based mostly on medieval concepts of sharks and whales. These are probably temporally incorrect, as in relatively outdated by the time period of Salem, but thematically these fe;t right enough to make an exception. I kind of was thinking it would be cool to make the Deep Ocean would feel mysterious, dangerous, and fantastical.*

Overall Concepts: Sharks are aggressive, and because hitting creatures with watercraft damages the watercraft sharks will be very dangerous for canoes and rowboats which are the weakest watercraft. Sharks will be much less a problem for Ocean-craft. When Sharks attack they deal damage to pilgrims in the quadrant it attacks. Quadrants are covered in the Piracy Suggestion but rowboats and canoes only have 1 quadrant and rafts have 2, one for each side. Whales are non-aggressive but will attack if provoked and do more damage than sharks. The current sperm whale will remain the same and will not do damage if hit.

Sharks:

Ziphius
Nereydes
Delphinus

Sharks Give:
Sharks Teeth
Slabs, Steaks, and Cuts of Sea Dog Meat (Sharks were called sea dogs at the time).
Glossopetrae: Artifact that primarily gives spellpower. Counts as any fang, can be used in blowdarts and poison recipe, makes timber ratter antidote/ venom blowdarts most times but rarely will make Quetzalcoatl antidote/potent venom darts.
Shark Liver: Inspirational that can be drained to produce shark liver oil, which can be used as fuel in hurricane lamps and lampposts.
Raw Shark Skin
Shark Jaw, decorative inspirational which can be dissected to give shark teeth and rarely Glossopetrae.
Shark Fin
Shark Stomach - Can be dissected has an chance to gain ANY object currently in the game with equal chance.

Being bit by a shark has a small chance to give you "Dogger Bank itch", a new disease.

Whales:
Trolual
Physeter

Ambergris
Whale Blubber
Spermaceti - perfume item, can be used as an oil for hurricane lamps and lampposts, 1 liter gives the same affects as 10 liters of train oil. Produces a blue fire rather than an orange fire.
Whale Bones: Now counts as an Ivory item like Mammoth Tusks)
Slabs of Craspois (whale meat, low gourmet value), slabs can be boiled to make train oil as well.
Whale Tongue: food item

New Crafts:
Shark Skin Cape
Shark Tooth Club
Whale Bone Armour

Other Changes:
Providence Vendors buy full buckets of train oil.

Day 41: Deep Sea Fish

This adds Deep Sea Fish that can only be caught while in the Deep Sea Biome. Rather than being food. Deep sea fish are all perfect efficiency inspirationals, one for each proficiency type. Additionally Deep Sea fish don't cost extra inspiration for studying the same one in the same session. While each fish won't give a ton of inspiration points, their efficiency means can help drive a market for deep sea fishing and additionally drive people to explore the deep ocean.

Abremon - Arts and Crafts
Capitaius - Cloak and Dagger
Focas - Faith and Wisdom
Botte - Flora and Fauna
Halata - Hammer and Nail
Gladius - Herbs and Sprouts
Utelif - Hunting and Hideworking
Gobio - Law and lore
Murena - Mines and Mountains
Salpa - Sparks and Embers
Solaris - Sugar and Spices
Trebius - Thread and Needle

Each fish weights 2 kgs. Cutters have a single Providence type Barrel as storage and a Schooner has 2 barrel. The point of this and the high fish weight is to promote large crews as personal inventory will be the main storage on watercraft.

New Tool - Fishing Net ---> 4 Fibre Netting, 1x Rope
While a Fishing Net is equipped right-click on deep sea tiles will give option to throw net. The animation is slightly longer than fishing, but gives more fish, with the amount of fish related that players Fishing Artifact bonus. Fishing Net's take wear each time they are cast. Using the shoot action with a Fishing Net equipped works a bit like the lasso, although if it connect it will cause the target to be snared with the same animation one has when getting hit by a Spider web shot.
Last edited by pistolshrimp on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
pistolshrimp

Postby Taipion » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:59 pm

Treasure chests is a nice idea, but the claim/no-claim part is not that good,
rather make it like it is for most other stuff, if it's on a claim, it just does not spawn anything, simple.
Digging out a chest out of the claim of someone else is trespassing, including lifting up or looting the chest. ¦]
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:49 am

Taipion wrote:Treasure chests is a nice idea, but the claim/no-claim part is not that good,
rather make it like it is for most other stuff, if it's on a claim, it just does not spawn anything, simple.
Digging out a chest out of the claim of someone else is trespassing, including lifting up or looting the chest. ¦]

I totally agree with you on this.
pistolshrimp

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations