Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Salem

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Posting Game Suggestions Everyday Til JC Acknowledges Sa

Postby Taipion » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:46 pm

This sounds too straightforward to actually figure out if someone is a witch or not,
there should not be, definitely and by no means, any way to outright prove that you are not a witch, ever.

Whereas the risk of falsely accusing someone is basically nonexistant as it sounds.
And there should be an optional path that leads to dire consequences for a falsely accused non-witch if enough people believe it to be one.

Also, I do not get from that post how you imagine the social interaction part, it just sounds like a 1on1 accuser/accused,
the most important part is spreading the paranoia and inciting the mob.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby pistolshrimp » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:05 am

Taipion wrote:This sounds too straightforward to actually figure out if someone is a witch or not, there should not be, definitely and by no means, any way to outright prove that you are not a witch, ever.

I think the only way to know if someone is a Witch according to my suggestion is if you are a High Status player and you correctly accuse a low status player of being a Witch and therefore do not get a Lair tag. I wouldn't say this is easy per-se, but it could be modified that High Status player never get a Liar tag.

Taipion wrote:Whereas the risk of falsely accusing someone is basically nonexistant as it sounds.

Yes and no. I am suggesting that it lowers your Status temporarily, which will have a much more affects when I go into Politics. For instance this system allows for a political hit so to speak where you claim someone is a witch in order to lower their Status. As top Status person will be the Governor of Salem, and given special privileges, as well as the top 50 other players, pushing them out of position will matter. The cost is that it will lower your status the next week so doing something like that must be planned accordingly. This is unfortunately one of those suggestions that build on each other later.

Taipion wrote:And there should be an optional path that leads to dire consequences for a falsely accused non-witch if enough people believe it to be one.

This is a great idea. I'll give it some thought, I am worried about abuse of that system tho, so I'm not ready to commit any real suggestion to it.

Taipion wrote:Also, I do not get from that post how you imagine the social interaction part, it just sounds like a 1on1 accuser/accused,
the most important part is spreading the paranoia and inciting the mob.

A lot of this is coming from the Accused of Witchcraft Tag as well as witchcraft scents being theoretically relatively common to find. I'm trying to push the paranoia into the player's head, rather than be a specific mechanic, but I am sure you are correct and there is room for more here.
pistolshrimp

Postby Ronch » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:23 am

@ PistolShrimp
I suggest that an accuser's status should be based on their IOU's earned, or any leader board points that they've earned ...or a combination of both.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby pistolshrimp » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:04 am

Ronch wrote:@ PistolShrimp
I suggest that an accuser's status should be based on their IOU's earned, or any leader board points that they've earned ...or a combination of both.

I do have being on a leaderboard adding to status, but I hadn't thought about IOUs. That's a really good idea.
pistolshrimp

Small Changes Part 1 - Wood & Smoking

Postby pistolshrimp » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:12 am

Day 26: A Couple of Small Changes Part 1 - Wood & Smoking

*Dear John, I am in a mood, lol, and have a couple of busy days ahead of me so these next couple of suggestions are going to be smaller and may not exactly pertain to ideas you have previously expressed interest it. I appreciate yours and everyone's patience here.*

Woodblocks from Logs cut from Trees now remember what tree they came from. This would not effects Woodblocks from Woodpiles, Stumps, Bushes, or recovered from Salvaging. This variable would pass onto the Wood Choppings ie "Wood Choppings from Apple Tree".

Meatsmokers only accept Wood Choppings now, and only accept enough for 1 Smoking. Woodblocks Tree Class (Base Tree, Nut Tree, Fruit Tree) would affect the stats of the resulting meat, ie Smoked Squirrel Cut made with Applewood would be the same as Smoked Squirrel Cut made with Cherrywood, but different than Smoked Squirrel Cut made with Hickorywood. Any combination or wood types or use of wood from bushes, stumps, woodpiles, etc, would give the basic smoked stats of that meat.

These wood changes can also be used in making barrels later for crafting whiskey or other alcohols.

Beef and Pigs now also give 2x Ribs when butchered. Ribs can be smoked to make smoked ribs or placed in a stove to braised ribs respectively. Domesticated Animal Cuts can now also be Smoked. As mentioned earlier both salt and fish can also be smoked. Additionally Cheddar Cheese and Company Bacon can also be Smoked.

Smoking Foods adds Gluttony Value to foods, with type of wood affecting the Gluttony Value bonus as well Fruit Wood > Nut Wood > Basic Tree Wood.
pistolshrimp

Postby Ronch » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:40 am

@ PistolShrimp
Just something to keep in mind:
Another update that JC hinted at before he abandoned us, was all food-types becoming perishable after a length of time, like fruit and prepared fruit-foods currently are.
I think smoking and or salting foods may be something that will be considered for preserving some foods in that perishable food update.
...(Hoping, possibly vinegar making, along with distilling spirits added too)
Since wine making is already definitely coming.

I am enjoying reading each of your ideas, with the only exceptions being the direction you want to take gluttony. And I am still puzzled as to your reasons for wanting to stifle alt use in game-play.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby pistolshrimp » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:49 pm

Day 27: New Transient Affect: Scent & Perfume

*Dear JC, you mentioned you were thinking about doing more with Transient Affects (which you described as things which change the world temporarily, currently you have footprints, blood splatter, and vomit). This adds a new affect, Scent Pools which can be used to track a player and adds perfume to combat this. However perfume has additional benefits that make it not just a mechanic that adds pain.*

Standing in one place without moving for 60 seconds leaves a scent pool. Pools last for 24 hours and probably don't drop in providence for aesthetic reasons. Right-clicking on a scent pool and selecting Sniff will show an arrow to the next closest scent pool from the same person. In theory this could be used to track someone to their base.

Perfume Bench: Will be similar to the Chef Bench(table) introduced in the Gluttony rework, but will only contain 4 slots, as perfume need not be as complex as Gluttony.
Main Slot: this holds 1x Vial.
3 Note Slots (Head, Heart, Base): Each can accept 1x ingredient.
Using this table will create different perfumes based on the combination of ingredients used. Each perfume will have a quality, but rather than variable this will be fixed based solely on the combination ingredients used. Output .1 liter of perfume.

Some Perfume Ingredients I Can Think of Already in Game:
Any Flower
Any Fruit
Ambergris
Wood Choppings (carry over from smoking changes).
Pinecone Scales
Myrtle Oak Leaves
Gunpowder
Willow Bark
Birch Bark
tobacco leaves
oak duff
flower petal
seeds

Additionally as spices are added for Gluttony they can be used here as well. All Big Game have a chance to drop a Scent Glad of that animal. These glands can be used in perfume making or right clicking and selecting extract will get .1 liter of Musk of That Animal. Otto of Rose counts as a perfume.

New Item: Perfume Bottle --> 1x Glass pane using a crucible. Holds 1 liter of any perfume. Can be equipped in left hand. Right-clicking on an equipped perfume bottle and clicking Spray will use .1 liter of perfume. Being perfumed still leaves a scent pool in you stand in one place too long, but being able to see the scent pool is connected to your Sugar and Spice stat. If your Sugar and Spice is lower than the quality of the perfume you will not be able to see pools of it. Additionally perfume adds an amount of temporary Affluence relative to the quality of the perfume. 1 spray of Perfume lasts for 24 hours.

Musk can also be stored in a Perfume Bottle and sprayed. This will not change your scent pool, but it will change you icon on other people's mini maps to that animal. Making it possible to sneak up on players.

Addi tonal Perfume Uses: Cleaning Clothes. Rose-Tinted Soap is now a variable recipe (Now Scented Soap that accepts any perfume. Right-clicking a Scented Soap on an item of clothing will remove 1 difficulty from that clothing based on chance. Chance is going to be pretty low, but improves relative to the quality of the perfume used.

Right-clicking regular Soap and selecting Wash, will prevent you from dropping Scent Pools for 1 hour.
pistolshrimp

Postby pistolshrimp » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:43 pm

*Dear Mr. Carver,
I'm going camping. I'm not 100% sure but it looks like between 2 and 3 days. I definitely don't want to miss up bothering you, I mean I feel like we're building a connection and I understand that commitment is an imporatnt in continuing to build that connection. Therefore I am going to give you 3 smaller unrelated suggestions to tide you over until my return. Rest assured I'll be thinking of you, just as you are no doubt reading this and thinking of me and everyone else still playing Salem. So why you are reading these, I'll think of something nice to post for our 1 month anniversary on Monday, unless of course you want to do something nice for us instead... maybe a post about your thoughts going forwards for Salem? Well either way I'm sure it'll be fun. Have a nice weekend John.
Love, pistolshrimp*

Day 28: A Couple of Small Changes Part 2 - Skeleton Keys (Friday)

*This one is is my take on Lock-picking. I know that this isn't what you envisioned what Lock-picking to be, and there is still room for more of that, but I can't figure out a way to make it balanced, so this is what I came up with. Maybe you also are having trouble balancing it because it's been on the roadmap for 2017 and 2018. This one is pretty tricky.*

Skeleton Keys are unlocked from Grave Robbing and Locks and Keys. A Skeleton Key requires an anvil and a bar of iron, 1 bone, and a Skull. Creating a Skeleton key does not consume the Skull but puts it on a 7 day cool down. This creates a Key attuned to you that will open any locked object on any property owned by the direct kin of the skull. This key can be attuned to to other people but has a chance to break which can be lowered by your sparks and embers proficeny. A Skeleton Key can only be used once and then it breaks. Trespassing Scents trigger regularly but opening a locked object with a skeleton will not leave a scent.

While the default cool down for making a skeleton key from a single Skull is 7 days, your alloying bonus at the time of crafting may lower this cool down.

Day 29: A Couple of Small Changes Part 3 - The Providence Library (Saturday)

We have the Structure but it has no use currently. I think it should have a similar mechanic to books in Elderscrolls where reading it increases you level, in this case it would increase a random proficiency by 2 points. This could be done once a day. The way this would work is that it would be filled with clickable books and each one has a small chance to give you the boost to the random proficiency but it would be low enough that you would have to click on a decent amount of books to get. Therefor you would usually have to invest some spend some time in the library each day to get your bonus. The library only lets 5 people in at a time and its based on Status. So if someone of a higher Status wants to enter the lowest Status person will be kicked out. I also image a couple of other chance events when clicking on books, such as a Silverfish appearing in your inventory which would be a high law and lore inspirational, and perhaps a Well-worn Bookmark which could be an artifact inspirational which adds a decent amount of Productivity when slotted. Additionally I think clicking on a book should have a very low chance of adding a madness level (a good thing in New Insanity) or fulfill your Craving if you are already level 10.

Day 30: A Couple of Small Changes Part - Fish Changes Part 2 (Sunday)

New Freshwater fish: With temperature changes there are now very very cold biomes near the edges of map. I think these spots should be a separate biome covered in snow with a mix on snow foragables, coniferous forageable, and new ones. I think the main fish of this biome should be the Fur-bearing Trout mentioned in the Lumberwoods and other sources of American Folklore. Butchering a Fur-bearing Trout gives Raw Trout Fur which can be dried like normal hides and used in a new slippers recipe which gives a sleep bonus.

New Saltwater Fish: Sea Monk, Jenny Haniver (this one will be an inspirational fish like the Red Herring).

New Fish Exploration Event - Woodland. A Small but perfectly round pool of water. Fishing in the pond does nothing, except if you get in a canoe and row out to the very center and fish. There you will catch a Swamp Auger (also from the Lumberwoods book). Swamp Auger's are always perfect quality. The tip of their nose is a corkscrew which in folklore they use to drill holes in boats so when butchered you get a Swamp Auger Corkscrew which counts as a sword type weapon, as well as ivory (so it can be used in place of mammoth tusk) Also it gives several rainbow fish scales.

New Fish Use: Fish can be used in place of humus in planting tilled fields. A single fish is enough for any amount of upkeep, sort of like how a potato chunk works now. This allows for fields to be reset, but also make planting fields overall slightly easier if you want to fish first. Fish won't go into a Plow though, only humus. This suggestion comes straight from history as the pilgrims were taught that fish were a great fertilizer once they came to the new world and was a common practice by the indigenous populations of colonial New England.
pistolshrimp

Postby Abimael » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:59 am

You've made a new meta game for JC. He'll probably love watching you grind for attention in this thread. Two days after you give up (minimum of 6 months daily effort XP required), he will post a gif in the discord. It will show him type a response to this thread, start to click the submit button, and then erase it.

BTW great suggestions. What I've read so far.
Abimael

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:42 pm

Abimael wrote:You've made a new meta game for JC. He'll probably love watching you grind for attention in this thread. Two days after you give up (minimum of 6 months daily effort XP required), he will post a gif in the discord. It will show him type a response to this thread, start to click the submit button, and then erase it.

He keeps sending me this. I'm not sure what it means...
pistolshrimp

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations