Raid Mechanics

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Raid Mechanics

Postby Andromedan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:19 am

There is the issue of some folks having impenetrable defenses. I suppose there isn't an easy solution to this, as it would only screw the weaker defenses. I might have a small solution that would keep the risk/reward ratio somewhat in balance.

During a bloodmoon, the risk of venturing outside your base is absolute, while there is no reward, so not many do. Raid mechanics could be altered a bit during this short time. It would not qualify as easy mode raiding, since the risk could easily be equal to the reward. So how would this not screw the weaker defenses even more? Well, for instance, higher authority towns and larger pclaims could become more vulnerable.
Andromedan

Re: Raid Mechanics

Postby Icon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:41 pm

i think the big issue there is the tbc would take longer to go live than the bloodmoon lasts
Icon

Postby Taipion » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Andromedan wrote:So how would this not screw the weaker defenses even more? Well, for instance, higher authority towns and larger pclaims could become more vulnerable.

Let's just ignore that this suggestion has no actual detail worked out...

Just out of curiosity,
please explain to me why "higher authority towns and larger pclaims" that people spend countless hours/weeks/months building, should become more vulnerable than "the weaker defenses", like the common newbies nearly worthless rudimentary "settlement" that could be (re)build in no time?
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Andromedan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Taipion wrote:
Andromedan wrote:So how would this not screw the weaker defenses even more? Well, for instance, higher authority towns and larger pclaims could become more vulnerable.

Let's just ignore that this suggestion has no actual detail worked out...

Just out of curiosity,
please explain to me why "higher authority towns and larger pclaims" that people spend countless hours/weeks/months building, should become more vulnerable than "the weaker defenses", like the common newbies nearly worthless rudimentary "settlement" that could be (re)build in no time?

It does not have any details worked out because I'm not knowledgeable enough to work them out. I'm suggesting to alter the raid mechanics during the bloodmoon. For it to affect pclaim and town size is just my idea to add some balance to it. I'd like to hear other possibilities, unless the initial concept is flawed.
Andromedan

Postby Icon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:35 pm

I love the idea of their being some kind of incentive for raiders to attack during bloodmoons. instead of affecting the claims though, it could affect something like the crime debuff, turn it from a debuff into a buff. if crazy **** is going to happen under a bloodmoon, it stands to reason it should reward crazy **** being done under it. but without being able to sync up a BM with a TBC, it still just seems to targeted towards p-claims
Icon

Postby Andromedan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Icon wrote:if crazy **** is going to happen under a bloodmoon, it stands to reason it should reward crazy **** being done under it. but without being able to sync up a BM with a TBC, it still just seems to targeted towards p-claims

Agreed.
Andromedan

Postby Taipion » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Andromedan wrote:It does not have any details worked out because I'm not knowledgeable enough to work them out. I'm suggesting to alter the raid mechanics during the bloodmoon. For it to affect pclaim and town size is just my idea to add some balance to it. I'd like to hear other possibilities, unless the initial concept is flawed.

Well, let me just repeat the question:

Why would you think that "bigger" and "better defended" towns should be more penalized than small settlements?
Do you think a lot of work (to build a defence) is worth less than a little work?
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Andromedan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Taipion wrote:
Andromedan wrote:It does not have any details worked out because I'm not knowledgeable enough to work them out. I'm suggesting to alter the raid mechanics during the bloodmoon. For it to affect pclaim and town size is just my idea to add some balance to it. I'd like to hear other possibilities, unless the initial concept is flawed.

Well, let me just repeat the question:

Why would you think that "bigger" and "better defended" towns should be more penalized than small settlements?
Do you think a lot of work (to build a defence) is worth less than a little work?

Because such a mechanic could actually mean that twice as much isn't necessarily twice as good.
Andromedan

Postby Dallane » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Sounds like a retarded way to fix a unenjoyable system that you have zero personal experience doing.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby JoanXena » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:22 pm

I like the idea of giving people a reason other than amethysts to log in on a bloodmoon.
JoanXena

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations