Temperature & Uses for it.

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Temperature & Uses for it.

Postby NeiroShop » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:42 am

Hello everyone. As im sure most of us are quite saddend by the current implementation of Temperature being quite half finished. I figured id add some ideas i had for it.

1st off. Make it possible to survive in the world without a thermal of 70+ for newbies.

-Making some funny fur coats put on the store with no slots but with good thermal value. Priced at 1.50 dollars. It is a free to play game after all.

2. Make use of temperature in the world. Currently it serves no other purpose than making it a harsher place for newbies & heff alike.
- Making corpses of domesticated/Game animals rot at a certain temperature faster and slower at colder completely stopping rot at a real low temperature. Making Northern have an advantage for people who choose to settle there as a counter balance could have fruits maturing slower in colder temperatures
- Adding specialized buildings that are colder than outside for storing meats during summer.
Cold storage - A wooden shack serving as storage for meats. Would require some metal, Oiled boards etc & Snow/glacial water during summer.
Depending on temperature inside meats would rot slower than normal in here.

Root cellar - A below zero celsius storage area that would require snow/glacial water during summer. (I was also thinking of adding the ability to make iceblocks out of glacial water) Where rot would be non-existant but pilgrims would require warm clothes to not freeze into iceblock inside. (the mechanics would be like a house yet graphics would look similar to a mine)

Yes i am aware people would make alts at mountains. But it is one of the few ways i can imagine getting some real use out of the mountains.
NeiroShop

Re: Temperature & Uses for it.

Postby kataklinger » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:30 am

Maybe all fresh characters should be immune to hypothermia for 2 weeks (excluding walking on snow). Also the tutorial should prepare them better. Teach them to use hot stones and make basic cloathing.
Also please fix the hypothermia bug.
kataklinger

Postby NeiroShop » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:35 am

kataklinger wrote:Maybe all fresh characters should be immune to hypothermia for 2 weeks (excluding walking on snow). Also the tutorial should prepare them better. Teach them to use hot stones and make basic cloathing.
Also please fix the hypothermia bug.

I disagree with immunity. If they cant bother buying clothes for 1.5 bucks or fixing it themselves i dont see the point of such players. But yes Tutorial should definetly prepare them better for Cold.
NeiroShop

Postby Taipion » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:24 pm

In most regions and in most coldnaps, you do not need 70 thermal, not even 50.

Yes, currently it gets colder the further north you are on the map, but as strange as this sounds, it is a bug and not intended.

Also: this

Carrying 2 lit torches alone WILL allow you to walk FULLY NAKED in even the harshest coldnaps in the north of providence as long as you don't run on a mountains snow.

I do agree that torches/heated stones/fireplaces are not well known for newbies, but it's not impossible to find out.

The only bad thing currently is, that the game checks for your temp every 6 seconds, but bonus thermal from torches/fireplaces/stones is only considered once every 30 seconds,
so you will be at 97 thermal for 24 of 30 seconds all the time in some situations, but you will not freeze to death or anything.

[edit:] Instead of whining, spread the word: Fireplaces/Torches save newbie lives!

[edit2:] I've just taken a look through the wiki, and thermal mechanics, especially for newbies, are not explained there, also not that a fireplace/torch will save you, if you want to help, go help there. ;)
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby kataklinger » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Ok, than fixing the bug would fix it.

Surviving is one thing being able to play is another. I was not aware that it was 6-30 sec rule. But noticed it was impossible to play up north with torch, stones and broth combined cause you keep getting slowed down by hypothermia even with using all three.

Sure you wont turn into ice cube but you cant hunt, or even move with normal speed with hypothermia always kicking in.
kataklinger

Postby Dallane » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:09 pm

kataklinger wrote:Ok, than fixing the bug would fix it.

Surviving is one thing being able to play is another. I was not aware that it was 6-30 sec rule. But noticed it was impossible to play up north with torch, stones and broth combined cause you keep getting slowed down by hypothermia even with using all three.

Sure you wont turn into ice cube but you cant hunt, or even move with normal speed with hypothermia always kicking in.

What bug?

It is def possible to play up north if you are prepared. Base placement is a huge factor in this game. You will be constantly learning stuff that will change your mind as you go.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Ronch » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:21 pm

+ 5
I like the root cellar idea the best.

Using ice-house would be cool too because it would also add more items to the economy for players to trade (Ice).
...Overall the idea(s) of having more options for players to preserve foods and other flora in the game is a must, seeing that JC plans to nerf gardening soon.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby Chrumps » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Taipion wrote:Yes, currently it gets colder the further north you are on the map, but as strange as this sounds, it is a bug and not intended.
[...]
The only bad thing currently is, that the game checks for your temp every 6 seconds, but bonus thermal from torches/fireplaces/stones is only considered once every 30 seconds,
so you will be at 97 thermal for 24 of 30 seconds all the time in some situations, but you will not freeze to death or anything.

Dallane wrote:What bug?

Chrumps

Postby Nsuidara » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:16 am

One!
I'm not like for strength tutorial, but when somebody got cold - not got new message window about cold... ?
Somebody just need made tutorial/tip into wiki.

Two.
North, its more cold, because here live Pope :lol:
Marp not like Mr.D.
JC not like Mr.P.
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Paradoxyc » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:26 am

-1, no more pay 2 win plz
Paradoxyc
Customer