Tree Diseases

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

How many tiles should Tree Disease Spread?

2 so I can still make woods in my base.
33%
3 so I can have a pot or beehive next to them and still squeeze by
6%
4 so that orchards are spread out and fruit is more valuable.
11%
5 because board piles spacing is how the cool kids do it.
2%
6-8 because bases should be for infastructure and trees should be speckled about like town border stones.
2%
10+ because I want to watch the world burn.
45%

Total votes : 125

Re: Tree Diseases

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:06 am

Judaism wrote:I have yet to see anyone banned for it.

I'm not exactly sure why you think you would be privy to such things. Here are the simple facts on the matter:

#1: Botting is illegal and players get banned and I have nuked bases for less.

#2: Players trigger botting alerts constantly. Here is a big "offender" of doing the same thing over and over again in fairly routine time increments. As should be obvious this is for comedic value as Darwoth frequently triggers my bot alerts and does not bot.
Image As many players are aware, I will visit players who flag sending repetitive things to the server, and in the event I find a 'robot' as in nobody behind the terminal, they are banned.

#3: Not a single player in this thread has successfully reported a player who is botting. So while I appreciate the witch hunt. If players cared, and/or the problem was "that" serious, they could simply PM me as they witness said actions, and I could swiftly banstick the offenders. Fortunately, nobody reliably points to this absue nor is it reliably witnessed despite being tracked.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke86 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 am

JohnCarver wrote:

I'm not exactly sure why you think you would be privy to such things. Here are the simple facts on the matter:

#2: Players trigger botting alerts constantly. Here is a big "offender" of doing the same thing over and over again in fairly routine time increments. As should be obvious this is for comedic value as Darwoth frequently triggers my bot alerts and does not bot.
Image As many players are aware, I will visit players who flag sending repetitive things to the server, and in the event I find a 'robot' as in nobody behind the terminal, they are banned.

#3: Not a single player in this thread has successfully reported a player who is botting. So while I appreciate the witch hunt. If players cared, and/or the problem was "that" serious, they could simply PM me as they witness said actions, and I could swiftly banstick the offenders. Fortunately, nobody reliably points to this absue nor is it reliably witnessed despite being tracked.

:lol:
WWJCD; What Would John Carver Do!
-The Duke
TheDuke86

Postby Darwoth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 am

JohnCarver wrote:

"plugins" that turn what used to take days into an hour of semi automated derping are bots, so apparently they are not illegal after all. naturally you will "never catch a botter" when your definition of botting does not fit the rest of the internets. and if running a string of humus into pots at my half assed pace triggers a bot alert should prob get a better alert system :lol:
Darwoth

Postby Reviresco » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:21 am

Can I run a frog-catching bot if I put a Santa hat on it?
Reviresco

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:28 am

I'm fairly sure the internets has long distinguished the distinct difference between macros and bots. "plugins" that perform what essentially any 'macro' program way outside the scope of the client could do are well outside the scope of anything I would expect any title to aggressively pursue. "Bots" are of course short for "Robots" which are completely automated entities absent of any player interaction on the other side of the signals. This is the line that cannot be crossed. From day one I have had buttons on my mouse that click numerous keys on my keyboard, and macros that would automatically split seeds from my seedbags (when that was relevant) etc.

I'm not discrediting the effects of the full range of plugins out there because I have not investigated them to the full extent. But I have allowed the Default "Sifting" macro because again, this is something that is just repeating clicks and essentially useless without a player behind the character. If you feel there is technology in wide-spread use where TRUE robots are using Salem, then feel free to PM me a solution to banning some fools. If you are mad because some people can click one button that turns 3 clicks into 2 or 10 clicks into 1. I'm less interested at the moment due to your exact and accurate assessment that we failed to update the client (for various internal reasons). Stockbin UI on custom clients can turn 800 clicks into 5 clicks through features that allow pulling hundreds of materials from them quicker, etc. etc. etc. The slope is just far too slippery to regulate the use of macros.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Darwoth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:45 am

JohnCarver wrote:I'm fairly sure the internets has long distinguished the distinct difference between macros and bots. "plugins" that perform what essentially any 'macro' program way outside the scope of the client could do are well outside the scope of anything I would expect any title to aggressively pursue. "Bots" are of course short for "Robots" which are completely automated entities absent of any player interaction on the other side of the signals. This is the line that cannot be crossed. From day one I have had buttons on my mouse that click numerous keys on my keyboard, and macros that would automatically split seeds from my seedbags (when that was relevant) etc.

I'm not discrediting the effects of the full range of plugins out there because I have not investigated them to the full extent. But I have allowed the Default "Sifting" macro because again, this is something that is just repeating clicks and essentially useless without a player behind the character. If you feel there is technology in wide-spread use where TRUE robots are using Salem, then feel free to PM me a solution to banning some fools. If you are mad because some people can click one button that turns 3 clicks into 2 or 10 clicks into 1. I'm less interested at the moment due to your exact and accurate assessment that we failed to update the client (for various internal reasons). Stockbin UI on custom clients can turn 800 clicks into 5 clicks through features that allow pulling hundreds of materials from them quicker, etc. etc. etc. The slope is just far too slippery to regulate the use of macros.

that is an absolutely beautiful bouquet of what we both know is utter *****.

fix the problem or the game will continue to suffer until there isnt one left. your call.
Darwoth

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 am

Feel free to just take it to PM's on what the 'problem' is. Because I'm still not grasping it and I imagine I'm just not privvy to whatever has rustled your jimmies. But if the problem is "macros" then yeah we are at an impasse and I'll one day be playing by myself. But hey upside, that means all the statues from there will be mine.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Darwoth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:00 am

Reviresco wrote:Can I run a frog-catching bot if I put a Santa hat on it?

no need, according to legend the christmas hat so long as it is accompanied by a close up of a largebouth bass vagina has the ability to summon a magical being that will **** out about ten thousand tiles worth of free lillypads that will happily be ignored along with the countless other "blessings" it has bestowed upon the chosen ones!
Darwoth

Postby Darwoth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:11 am

JohnCarver wrote:Feel free to just take it to PM's on what the 'problem' is. Because I'm still not grasping it and I imagine I'm just not privvy to whatever has rustled your jimmies. But if the problem is "macros" then yeah we are at an impasse and I'll one day be playing by myself. But hey upside, that means all the statues from there will be mine.

you are free to make as many statues for yourself as you like, from the dubious reports while i was kicking around retards on providence it appears there is much debate as to whether that is already a pre "destined" outcome anyway.

regardless they dont mean anything when the competition was some retard like heffernan which is all you will have left at the current rate.

the "problem" in this particular instance is nothing more or less than exactly what i stated here. you are adding more idiotic **** to the game that does nothing but cause a headache for everyone to "fix" a problem i specifically warned about a year ago that as always is ignored and then realized. you are now doing the standard side of the face doublespeak crap you always do in these scenarios and will piddle and prattle endlessly about nonsense such as "what the meaning of is is" and debate what a bot is to avoid accountability for the fact you have no control over your own game client 4 years into owning it.

pretty much that simple, nothing to waste my time on in PMs. take it or leave it as we both know the real deal.
Darwoth

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:15 am

You have completely lost me. What does diseased trees have to do with anything that happened 1 year ago?

JohnCarver
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations