Tree Diseases

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

How many tiles should Tree Disease Spread?

2 so I can still make woods in my base.
33%
3 so I can have a pot or beehive next to them and still squeeze by
6%
4 so that orchards are spread out and fruit is more valuable.
11%
5 because board piles spacing is how the cool kids do it.
2%
6-8 because bases should be for infastructure and trees should be speckled about like town border stones.
2%
10+ because I want to watch the world burn.
45%

Total votes : 125

Re: Tree Diseases

Postby Taipion » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:07 am

JohnCarver wrote:Because trees became broken when ya'll cried for more reliable blooming as pushed in the last patch. I must bring balance to the force.

Taipion wrote:What will the beetles do?

Does this effect naturally grown trees, too?

Does this mean we will soon have no more trees in the wilds?

[edit:]
And why not have fruit trees bloom like 1/4th of what they do now and just not introduce something that will just end up in more chores?

Or is it impossible to give trees a fixed blooming chance per season?!

Like, first time in a season a tree is loaded, roll if it will bloom or not, if it does, determine the time within the season on that it will do, this ain't no good?

Don't tell me it is easier to implement a disease for ALL trees that will destroy ALL trees within a few seasons and make the lumberWOODS a thing of the past. -.-

[edit]: I guess we all agree that fruit trees are in no good state currently and need a nerf, but why would you do that? ...you could even reduce the # of fruits if the blooming chance is so much of a problem... why nuke literally all trees instead?
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:10 am

But then you guys will continue to just spam massive orchards of thousands of trees into small areas.

Your solution doesn't solve the root problem that trees have and continue to get planted far too close together far too often.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Taipion » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:11 am

JohnCarver wrote:But then you guys will continue to just spam massive orchards of thousands of trees into small areas.

Your solution doesn't solve the root problem that trees have and continue to get planted far too close together far too often.

errr..... increase the required distance in between fruit trees?!

[edit]: And after making a decision about that distance, tell the people, give them a little heads up and time to act, then nuke all fruit trees that violate that new distance, problem solved, or not?
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Taipion » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:16 am

JohnCarver wrote:But then you guys will continue to just spam massive orchards of thousands of trees into small areas.

Now that I think of it, my solution actually does solve exactly that.

Reducing the # of fruit each trees gives to 1/4th is exactly the same as requiring trees to be twice as far apart from each other as they are now (4 tiles instead of 2, 2*2 = 4 times the space required, 1/4th fruits per given area).

... either way, reducing the # of fruits per tree, or increasing the distance needed in between trees are both viable solutions in comparison to simply nuking ALL trees with a random chance each season.
Taipion

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:20 am

So I could either have a complete arbitrary 'safe zone' to which you are not allowed to have trees next to each other, which would be non-intuitive, and just 'be because'. Or I could have a cool mechanic that allows you the freedom to plant your trees wherever, you want but a dynamic increasing cost the more trees you choose to fit into a crowded space.

I choose the latter. Please stop derailing this thread. The options are not some c0ding hack to achieve results, the options are with the mechanic that achieves those results without the hack what is the best distance to allow reasonable orchard size and reasonable base aesthetics.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Taipion » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:28 am

JohnCarver wrote:So I could either have a complete arbitrary 'safe zone' to which you are not allowed to have trees next to each other, which would be non-intuitive, and just 'be because'. Or I could have a cool mechanic that allows you the freedom to plant your trees wherever, you want but a dynamic increasing cost the more trees you choose to fit into a crowded space.

I choose the latter. Please stop derailing this thread. The options are not some c0ding hack to achieve results, the options are with the mechanic that achieves those results without the hack what is the best distance to allow reasonable orchard size and reasonable base aesthetics.

What is wrong with tree farms in general?!
(not fruit trees, just trees)

I doubt that a not-obvious and non-intuitive tree-disease is a more elegant solution than what I listed,
you simply want it that way, that's the reason, so it's your game and all, I'm just pointing out how unnecessary it is.

And most importantly you have not said anything about non-fruit trees, especially "naturally created" trees that put the wood into lumberwood, they will all be gone within a few seasons, right?
Taipion

Postby lachlaan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:29 am

Aesthetics is like 5-6 tiles but if it's pretty and sorely insufficient gluttony wise then ugly it is:p up overall production per tree by lots and make disease a very bad gamble if trees stay packed close. People might just make bigger orchards tho. Any way to make overall amount and density affect it too? Like a big area miniproc enhanced by overall number of trees
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby nosfirebird » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:00 am

the community wants less chores.... hmmm lets add more chores! :lol: time to triple the size of baj production
nosfirebird

Postby Taipion » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:13 am

nosfirebird wrote:the community wants less chores.... hmmm lets add more chores! :lol: time to triple the size of baj production

Yea, I can understand the chores, but why nuke ALL trees in salem?! ...including all "naturally" spawned trees...

And I thought with their plans on how to turn mines into lifeless, empty, useless voids, the devs had shown how much they hate dwarves and are treehuggers themselves instead. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Taipion

Postby strpk0 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:15 am

We better get those 10+ tiles JC, don't back down on your word now
strpk0

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations