Gluttony

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Gluttony

Postby nosfirebird » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 pm

players just have to run around and find the sugar event there are thousands of them
nosfirebird

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 pm

Nsuidara wrote:
It's right
Example, Berries wasn't good food ethier, now JC implement "Players now get refunded hte Jar when consuming Cranberry Sauce." before was usless, but still player can't produce Sugar :P

I will continue to wait to see if anybody can show me two recipes where one recipe is significantly better than another from ALL perspectives and situations, and as you pointed out, adjust as necessary when that is the case.

This is a crafting game, thus one day it will have 10,000 recipes. If you want to play a game that will have less recipes and less content over time then you are playing the wrong game.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby lachlaan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:26 pm

This whole "from all perspectives and situations" thing seems like a pretty easy cop-out. I can't imagine a situation where someone is too lazy to somehow procure beaver steaks for say, beaver dam, rather than work up towards a lesser plank steak or sunday steak. Still in the process of compiling my list, will post when done.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby nosfirebird » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
Nsuidara wrote:
It's right
Example, Berries wasn't good food ethier, now JC implement "Players now get refunded hte Jar when consuming Cranberry Sauce." before was usless, but still player can't produce Sugar :P

I will continue to wait to see if anybody can show me two recipes where one recipe is significantly better than another from ALL perspectives and situations, and as you pointed out, adjust as necessary when that is the case.

This is a crafting game, thus one day it will have 10,000 recipes. If you want to play a game that will have less recipes and less content over time then you are playing the wrong game.

sizzling stirfry and slowroast(slowroast takes 12 hrs in a stove(requires a house) and is really bad)
candy and garlic braid (takes far longer to make candy then garlic braid)
nosfirebird

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 pm

lachlaan wrote:This whole "from all perspectives and situations" thing seems like a pretty easy cop-out. I can't imagine a situation where someone is too lazy to somehow procure beaver steaks for say, beaver dam, rather than work up towards a lesser plank steak or sunday steak. Still in the process of compiling my list, will post when done.

Sure, but that is the point. Some recipes may be better than others if you indeed find yourself with a wealth of a particular item.

For example, lets say you are just speeding corn and harvesting it at baby corn to get your fields to max purity ASAP. Well in that case you will have absurds amount of 'baby corn' as a byproduct, at which point if you imagine the babycorn as 'free' does the cornmash gobbler look out of balance? Because I know for example that recipe looks stupid 95% of the time as I don't have baby corn on hand, but then sometimes I have stupid amounts of it and the recipe then appears ok.

This is the challenge, find a recipe where in all cases you can say 'that is dumb nobody should ever make x over y'. It may not have to be a complete absolute, but it should also not be a recipe where I can quickly point to situations where I have found myself willing to make it either.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:51 pm

nosfirebird wrote:candy and garlic braid (takes far longer to make candy then garlic braid)

So the argument is that you find it way easier to make a garlic braid for the restores to those food groups than to get the similar candies? And you would therefore, rather make a recipe using said garlic braid instead? There may be something to that and it is the best argument I have heard so far to rebalance candy vs. garlic braids.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby lachlaan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:53 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
lachlaan wrote:This whole "from all perspectives and situations" thing seems like a pretty easy cop-out. I can't imagine a situation where someone is too lazy to somehow procure beaver steaks for say, beaver dam, rather than work up towards a lesser plank steak or sunday steak. Still in the process of compiling my list, will post when done.

Sure, but that is the point. Some recipes may be better than others if you indeed find yourself with a wealth of a particular item.

For example, lets say you are just speeding corn and harvesting it at baby corn to get your fields to max purity ASAP. Well in that case you will have absurds amount of 'baby corn' as a byproduct, at which point if you imagine the babycorn as 'free' does the cornmash gobbler look out of balance? Because I know for example that recipe looks stupid 95% of the time as I don't have baby corn on hand, but then sometimes I have stupid amounts of it and the recipe then appears ok.

This is the challenge, find a recipe where in all cases you can say 'that is dumb nobody should ever make x over y'. It may not have to be a complete absolute, but it should also not be a recipe where I can quickly point to situations where I have found myself willing to make it either.

Do you actively play still? Not trying to attack anyone or anything but i'm legitimately curious. A lot of stuff seems reasonable on paper but then once you've played for a good while a lot of stuff becomes irrelevant. I'd sooner sell babycorn to a rancher nowadays, as I myself hated having to spam fields just for temperament reducers when I let it get out of hand, and if you speed it you have to time it accurately. I'll just list a few of the silly things that I'd never cook then.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:55 pm

nosfirebird wrote:sizzling stirfry and slowroast(slowroast takes 12 hrs in a stove(requires a house) and is really bad)

This is a fairly bad example though as I'm not even sure what you are argueing for here.
Slow roast is spammable, with just a bit honey and a steak. Thus you can have tons of these going in stoves at the same time with limited prep.
The stir fry on the other hand is the complete opposite of 'spammable' with it taking onion, carrot, 3 bellpeppers, and indeed corn. The stir fry is a cluster of material preparation, while the slow roast is a quick and easy set it and forget it. Thus each has their own 'place' in teh food group and neither is 'better' than the other depending on your situation. I can assure you for example that if you massacre a barn of 100 cows, you would kill yourself trying to turn them all the stir frys, but you could make them all into slow roasts in almost no time at all.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Nsuidara » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:56 pm

JohnCarver wrote:For example, lets say you are just speeding corn and harvesting it at baby corn to get your fields to max purity ASAP. Well in that case you will have absurds amount of 'baby corn' as a byproduct, at which point if you imagine the babycorn as 'free' does the cornmash gobbler look out of balance? Because I know for example that recipe looks stupid 95% of the time as I don't have baby corn on hand, but then sometimes I have stupid amounts of it and the recipe then appears ok.

better made Garden Veg...
and keep babycorn for goats xD
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Well, my only beef atm is way we obtain salt.
ZoddAlmighty

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations