Salem-friendly hunger system idea

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Salem-friendly hunger system idea

Postby Dallane » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:38 pm

LobsterSause wrote:What you doing is simply defying permadeath mechanics with your 10+ characters.
It's just a way to cheat.
What's the fun to play if you can't lose?

lmao !remind me in 1 year.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby LobsterSause » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 pm

JohnCarver wrote:I see where you are going with it and I once dabbled with similar ideas. However, the entire insanity/madness system was developed as a 'maintenance' of sorts to make sure there is a minimum investment being made for the act of playing. I find hunger and dehydration to be in a similar vein and I am wary about adding a handful of penalties which are accrued by virtue of nothing more than playtime.

Thanks for the reply. I understand there are people who against such things, but me and dudes from my village we are totally for any kind of survival aspect if any implemented in future.
Last edited by LobsterSause on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LobsterSause

Postby Lusewing » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:46 pm

In other suvival games starvation and dehydration make a lot of sense. There is a huge drive to always find your next meal. It pushes you to plan your time and work out the most effecient way to gain those resorces. The challenge is to suvive against the elements. To push yourself against yoru limits.

But with Salem the threat is not your enviroment, food and water is commonplace. What you are suviving against here are the other people. You are not fighting for your next meal, but you are fighting to keep your home safe. Always planning more defences or getting better at combat. We glutton and gain stats to help us suvive the harsh social aspect of the game - not to suvive the world around us.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby LobsterSause » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:47 pm

ZoddAlmighty wrote:
LobsterSause wrote:It's funny how you guys actually think that playing this game requires you to have 10+ characters and raid people.

And while raiding someone you have to feel safe..

Learn the game bud.

Sure thing mate.
LobsterSause

Postby LobsterSause » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Dallane wrote:
LobsterSause wrote:What you doing is simply defying permadeath mechanics with your 10+ characters.
It's just a way to cheat.
What's the fun to play if you can't lose?

lmao !remind me in 1 year.

What happened to you since then?
LobsterSause

Postby LobsterSause » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Lusewing wrote:In other suvival games starvation and dehydration make a lot of sense. There is a huge drive to always find your next meal. It pushes you to plan your time and work out the most effecient way to gain those resorces. The challenge is to suvive against the elements. To push yourself against yoru limits.

But with Salem the threat is not your enviroment, food and water is commonplace. What you are suviving against here are the other people. You are not fighting for your next meal, but you are fighting to keep your home safe. Always planning more defences or getting better at combat. We glutton and gain stats to help us suvive the harsh social aspect of the game - not to suvive the world around us.

Guess what happens when you have both things at the same time...
Double trouble ! :P
LobsterSause

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:57 pm

LobsterSause wrote:Guess what happens when you have both things at the same time...
Double trouble ! :P

If you wanted to focus your creative energies on strife and survival I would recommend putting a focus on ways that I could do 'weather' events. Hurricanes, Cyclones, Lightning Storms, Forest Fires, Earthquakes, Mudslides are ALL development territory I hope to get in some day yet have not figured out how as I don't want Providence to just become a jumbled mess of random weather events years down teh road so they would need to have minimum effects on the permanent landscape to not ruin a server.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby LobsterSause » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 pm

JohnCarver wrote:If you wanted to focus your creative energies on strife and survival I would recommend putting a focus on ways that I could do 'weather' events. Hurricanes, Cyclones, Lightning Storms, Forest Fires, Earthquakes, Mudslides are ALL development territory I hope to get in some day yet have not figured out how as I don't want Providence to just become a jumbled mess of random weather events years down teh road so they would need to have minimum effects on the permanent landscape to not ruin a server.

Interesting. Will think about it !
LobsterSause

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations