Server Location and Lag

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Server Location and Lag

Postby Sipo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:39 am

Just a thought.
Since everything should be fare for most people...
Would it be possible to change the server location?
Or maybe to make things more fair...What continent is the majority of salem players from?

I tried doing a ping test and my ping was really high. I remember in Europe I had 10x less ping...in the 12ms ~ 20ms range.
This gives some sort of unfair advantage to some players when it comes to pvp.
What are your thoughts? If you reply in this thread, please try to include your ping!

Sipo

Re: Server Location and Lag

Postby Dallane » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:00 pm

lol yes lets move a server that has been fine for almost a decade so that you get a unnoticeable difference in game performance.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby nosfirebird » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 am

Dallane wrote:lol yes lets move a server that has been fine for almost a decade so that you get a unnoticeable difference in game performance.

its highly noticeable in pvp ping is 227
nosfirebird

Postby Chrumps » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Ping is usually higher on GSM and LTE connections.
I get 29ms ping to http://www.salemthegame.com on an Ethernet connection from a local provider.
I get 230-260ms even to 700ms sometimes on a connection through mobile phone and wireless tethering.
Edit: on another cellular connection connected via router I get ping in range of 47-70 ms.

See here: https://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/4818/64/ for random a googled article about ping and cellular networks.
Chrumps

Postby Ghoul » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:38 pm

chrumps too dense to realize sipo is on a different continent than him and that cellular tethering is a ghetto thing only chrumps has to do.
Realak wrote:You guys are treating this game like it is a pvp esport or something and not the retarded version of farmville it is.
Ghoul

Postby Kandarim » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Given that the distance between Sipo and the server would take at least 40 ms if the speed of light was the only concern, I guess the issue raised is somewhat valid. On the other hand, there is no real solution beyond splitting up the player base
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby riolic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:15 am

I do not think players of this game have reached this skill ceiling required to start complaining about server advantage yet. a handful of players might be at that level, but I highly doubt the majority can solely blame ping for their failures.
riolic
Customer

Postby Sipo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:32 am

riolic wrote:I do not think players of this game have reached this skill ceiling required to start complaining about server advantage yet. a handful of players might be at that level, but I highly doubt the majority can solely blame ping for their failures.

Not only PVP, since I haven't really done any pvp in a while.
More concerned with farming. Pots, farms etc...its just too slow. But like Latikai says, the splitting player solution would not be good.
I guess I am stuck to farming at slow speed
Sipo

Postby Judaism » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:39 pm

I have mentioned this before but I do think by far the majority of players are closer located to EU than the American continents. Whether that region spends more on store items is a complete difference thing, since I think they generally do.

JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Return to Ideas & Innovations