More Houses

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

More Houses

Postby Heffernan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:22 pm

theres a crapton of houses in the code that could be buildable for players and "might" just be easy coded in for a super easy content addition.

gfx/terobjs/bank

gfx/terobjs/station

gfx/terobjs/fhall

gfx/terobjs/posthouse

gfx/terobjs/cellarhole1

gfx/terobjs/potionhut

gfx/terobjs/logcabin

and i bet theres alot more that JC has in his backpockets? :P

(and i remember on a stream JC once showed a super large house like a town hall or something?)

also one of the reasons i ask is cuz the biggest building for a player to live in is currently the Brick townhouse (if u take away barn) and some big players might have outgrown that so bigger ones might be cool.
Heffernan

Re: More Houses

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:36 pm

It is probably time that you can build something twice the size of the Brick House. But its also about time that EVERY veteran can do more frankly. Each time I go over the game there is more and more attempts at polishing and improving the beginning experience. Each time, I of course, fail to go far enough to improve the new experience, but hopefully the patch notes are written proof that I try.

However, I have begun to ponder the greater injustice of what amounts to over 1,000 monthly players with incredible play times and skill-sets. While the new blood of Salem and next 'big launch, be it 1 year or 5 years from now" will be burdened on how much progress I make on the 'basics' we all know are failing like client, bounding boxes, and learning curves etc. there is something to be said for ya'll that love what we have now and look past, or have grown beyond those imperfections.

I'll make a more formal thread about it soon, and you'll see the emphasis begin to shift in the coming months. But I will soon be making a sincere effort to implement skills between 250 and 1000+ proficiency, and generally just boatloads of content only achievable for veterans capable of both opening you up to new mechanics, as well as minimizing your 'chores'. I won't elaborate much farther or else it will deserve its own thread, but just know I've tabled 'bigger houses' into this category of "Veteran Salem" Where each industry should be getting bigger, better, and more fun things at the higher levels of play.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Zapt13 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Cravings and Trade Orders renewed my zeal for Salem. These higher level skills promise to do so even more!

Up JC!
Re-enter your signature!
Zapt13

Postby Lusewing » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Really looking forward to seeing what you have in the works for us JC. Even a taste is enough to wet my appetite. You know I will help wherever I can with my silly little drawings.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby Taipion » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Now even that one post sounds awesome enough to deserve it's own thread. ^^
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Ronch » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm looking forward to what's coming too, can't wait to read through it several times.
...But:
JohnCarver wrote:It is probably time that you can build something twice the size of the Brick House. But its also about time that EVERY veteran can do more frankly. Each time I go over the game there is more and more attempts at polishing and improving the beginning experience. Each time, I of course, fail to go far enough to improve the new experience, but hopefully the patch notes are written proof that I try.

However, I have begun to ponder the greater injustice of what amounts to over 1,000 monthly players with incredible play times and skill-sets. While the new blood of Salem and next 'big launch, be it 1 year or 5 years from now" will be burdened on how much progress I make on the 'basics' we all know are failing like client, bounding boxes, and learning curves etc. there is something to be said for ya'll that love what we have now and look past, or have grown beyond those imperfections.

I'll make a more formal thread about it soon, and you'll see the emphasis begin to shift in the coming months. But I will soon be making a sincere effort to implement skills between 250 and 1000+ proficiency, and generally just boatloads of content only achievable for veterans capable of both opening you up to new mechanics, as well as minimizing your 'chores'. I won't elaborate much farther or else it will deserve its own thread, but just know I've tabled 'bigger houses' into this category of "Veteran Salem" Where each industry should be getting bigger, better, and more fun things at the higher levels of play.

@ JC, in your post above I think you are being to hard on yourself and your team, many new players have expectation about this game that are foundation-less, those players will quickly quit playing no matter how much you all try to accommodate them.
...This game is great/perfect for folks who enjoy this genre of games, I personally think you are on the right track already.

When you decide to put energy into marketing the game next, just emphasis that it is: An "unforgiving survival" game in the harshest since of the word.
A description like that will draw new players who wont quit, players who have always/already enjoyed this genre of games, players who will not quit playing after they experience even a small portion of the content-rich, well thought-out mechanics such as this game contains.
...I am a new player, who has already met several of the many harsh an unforgiving survival aspects of this game, and I love it !

BTW, the player community here is amazing too, which is a rare commodity in survival games in my experiences. And, your team's constant reciprocal relationship with this community is the sole reason for that too.

Also; being just as creative with (more) game store items as you all have been with existing in-game content and recent updates will be just as effective at further supporting the game as a huge-boat-load of new players would be, who will quit anyway after realizing that this is a "survival-crafting" game not just a "crafting" game.

The only "true" survival game on the market IMO, period !
Last edited by Ronch on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby Paradoxyc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:43 pm

JohnCarver wrote:It is probably time that you can build something twice the size of the Brick House. But its also about time that EVERY veteran can do more frankly. Each time I go over the game there is more and more attempts at polishing and improving the beginning experience. Each time, I of course, fail to go far enough to improve the new experience, but hopefully the patch notes are written proof that I try.

Default client and general polish definitely could be better, a lot of people i introduce to the game find themselves struggling to get into it because of those two alone
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby saffgee » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:49 pm

It does certainly feel that the higher "levels" become more about maintain than enjoy - I sometimes start new alts just to experience the thrill of learning stuff again. I do actually think that fundamentally the happiness curve is still heavily skewed towards the earlier character development and building a base rather than the later stages, but then again that's partially on me because I'm a relentless loner.....at one point I ended up building masses of roads because I was so bored with just chores !
saffgee
Customer

Return to Ideas & Innovations