Hyperthermia

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Hyperthermia

Postby Chrumps » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:38 am

Since the hypotermia mechanics has been developed to the point is its manageable and enjoyable, one would expect the other extreme should be also punishing and thus avoided.

Hyperthermia debuff should appear when one wears too warm clothes in a sunny day, stays near a fire for a longer period, especially near a finery forge, other metal industry structures and ovens. Lower mine levels should have slightly elevated temperature.
Also doing a lot of work, that is expending significant percentage of phlegm should cause short time overheating. That will significantly affect mining, using a forge, tending fields, digging soil, playing with animals and similar activities as well as running.
Sand biome on a sunny day should work as a counterpart of snow in winter.

Drinking water and glacier water, carrying snow or ice should temporarily remove hyperthermia. Though snow and ice melt now way too fast to be comparable to hot stones.

Hyperthermia should drain inspiration. At early levels it should simply negate natural inspiration gain.
It should also stop F&F timer so it is not reasonable to go to logout under hyperthermia for longer periods.

Hyperthermia may slowly remove Q&Q debuff, while being inferior to Mason Lodge facilities.

Untreated hyperthermia should lead to KO. To avoid KO loops both a leanto and a claim stone should provide some shade.

Frozen cape will become a reasonable choice for a number of activities.
Chrumps

Re: Hyperthermia

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 am

Its a thing on the test server. But I am just not happy enough with it to roll it out yet.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Rifmaster » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 am

What we really need now, is a mechanic to make grinding, mining, and metallurgy even more annoying, slow, and tedious. We'll call it "Hyperthermia"

Please just make it as manageable as hypothermia if it ever gets put in. :(
Rifmaster

Postby Chrumps » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:58 am

I guess it will be mostly a matter of clothing choice when making certain sets.

And, well, please make it so early levels do pretty much nothing more than just displaying a debuff as a warning.
Would be nice if hypothermia also displayed bad effects below e.g. 96 degrees.
Chrumps

Postby Rifmaster » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Chrumps wrote:I guess it will be mostly a matter of clothing choice when making certain sets.

That just sounds horrible, what if I want my gear to look fancy instead of making pieces that dont have high thermal?

Is there any positive side at all to adding this into the game? This question really is not asked enough.
Rifmaster

Postby Ronch » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Chrumps wrote:Since the hypotermia mechanics has been developed to the point is its manageable and enjoyable, one would expect the other extreme should be also punishing and thus avoided.

Hyperthermia debuff should appear when one wears too warm clothes in a sunny day, stays near a fire for a longer period, especially near a finery forge, other metal industry structures and ovens. Lower mine levels should have slightly elevated temperature.
Also doing a lot of work, that is expending significant percentage of phlegm should cause short time overheating. That will significantly affect mining, using a forge, tending fields, digging soil, playing with animals and similar activities as well as running.
Sand biome on a sunny day should work as a counterpart of snow in winter.

Drinking water and glacier water, carrying snow or ice should temporarily remove hyperthermia. Though snow and ice melt now way too fast to be comparable to hot stones.

Hyperthermia should drain inspiration. At early levels it should simply negate natural inspiration gain.
It should also stop F&F timer so it is not reasonable to go to logout under hyperthermia for longer periods.

Hyperthermia may slowly remove Q&Q debuff, while being inferior to Mason Lodge facilities.

Untreated hyperthermia should lead to KO. To avoid KO loops both a leanto and a claim stone should provide some shade.

Frozen cape will become a reasonable choice for a number of activities.
+10
I like these ideas, a lot, or any idea that puts players further into environmental immersion(s) inside of the game.

I would also like to add an additional suggestion too:
During cold snaps, swimming or even entering shallow water on foot should increase hypothermia too.
(entering shallow water on foot to a much lesser extent though)

Players should need to take time and appropriate action to recover from hypothermia after swimming during a cold snap, or again to a lesser extent even from entering shallow water on foot during a cold snap.
Last edited by Ronch on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby Ghoul » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Rifmaster wrote:
Chrumps wrote:I guess it will be mostly a matter of clothing choice when making certain sets.

That just sounds horrible, what if I want my gear to look fancy instead of making pieces that dont have high thermal?

Is there any positive side at all to adding this into the game? This question really is not asked enough.

Function > Form
you don't need to look fancy and jerk-off to your pixels while doing productive things in-game. just when you go to prov and "Shove" noobs ;)

However, I do agree that if too harsh this would just be a tedious addition.
Realak wrote:You guys are treating this game like it is a pvp esport or something and not the retarded version of farmville it is.
Ghoul

Postby lachlaan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:56 pm

And once both hypothermia and hyperthermia are in, you can implement the meta-mechanic that they were meant to be encompassed by : menopause
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Ronch wrote:Players should need to take time and appropriate action to recover from hypothermia after swimming during a cold snap, or again to a lesser extent even from entering shallow water on foot during a cold snap.

Agreed and surprised I missed this crucial thing. Swimming during Cold Snaps will suck soon.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby MaxPlanck » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:01 pm

If the temperature gets so bad can we make all non-oceanic bodies of water freeze over?
MaxPlanck
Customer

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations