Event Frequency

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Event Frequency

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:13 pm

nosfirebird wrote:
are the animal events active right now or do we have to wait for the next season change? if i remember right new events happen when season changes

Animal events are active now.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby lachlaan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Event frequency is a bit odd i'll admit. I haven't explored in a while but i imagine the mechanics are much the same as they were before. I don't know if there's any decay for events that have been discovered but not heard (I hear most people don't play with sound on, so it's easy to miss something at the edge of your screen). I usually find that the caravans I find clumped up are unlooted and a lot of them don't make the spawning sound. Perhaps up the amount of spawns and also implement some form of decay. As well as, hopefully, some form of balance in what spawns. Could easily be that if you make events try to spam a location for themselves in the general vicinity of their initial attempted spawn they'll even out in terms of frequency. The real question is if you want them to be spammable. I used to wander for ages and got some 5-10 events myself in a day, if mostly useless ones.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Ike » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:22 pm

The exploration event visible for medium lvl alt or so. For example high flora and fauna to see eagle nest (or get more items), mines and mountains to obsidians. Or maybe high humour to get items from event place. You know to force ppl go outside with something better than 5 humours ****.
Ike

Postby lachlaan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:31 pm

That's a good point. The easiest way that comes to mind to explore early on is to just spawn a bunch of alts, even if the tutorial is a bit longer now it's still easy to power through it quickly and have 5 attempts to load up new areas at the start of the season. I myself have found a bunch of events that way while making alts for various chores.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby grapefruitv » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 pm

While I agree that it is always good to encourage people to go outside, such changes would only hurt new-ish players who can not afford raising lots of profs. There are already reasons to go out on bigger characters (weight limit, lucky skills, etc), maybe it would help to add more of that sort. Mass spawning new alts isn't that effective due to a) tutorial and b) limited range of leanto spawn close to Providence.
grapefruitv

Postby lachlaan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:44 pm

That still exhausts a good chunk out of the already limited pool of events. I'm not suggesting the limit be 50 humours, but at least make it a bit more annoying to attempt that method. Perhaps make sure spawn chances change depending on how traversed a sector of the map is rather than each individual tile. Never make it impossible for an unexplored tile to spawn an event, but do scale it down depending on wether people have been traversing the same bit of map with 100% coverage while there are other areas with 0% coverage.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby grapefruitv » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Found 3 "new" cart events, 1 obsidian and 2 "old" (abandoned by someone else) carts yesterday while going with 0 intention to look for events. Considering animals hype and it being late in the season, that basically means that event pool exaustion is not much of a threat with current player count.
But yeah, was thinking the other day that exploration could use some basic skill to be available or something of the sort.
grapefruitv

Postby Kandarim » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:30 pm

that would be tricky for an implementation perspective, as far as I gather: events are spawned on tile load, which sounds to be independent of the character skills of whatever character that causes the load. And requiring a skill for interaction with it wouldn't make much of a difference, I think, unless it's relatively high up (maybe event-related? Indian Tracking/Carpentry/Fishing/...)
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Nsuidara » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Kandarim wrote:that would be tricky for an implementation perspective, as far as I gather: events are spawned on tile load, which sounds to be independent of the character skills of whatever character that causes the load. And requiring a skill for interaction with it wouldn't make much of a difference, I think, unless it's relatively high up (maybe event-related? Indian Tracking/Carpentry/Fishing/...)

dont forget about Forage :D
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby gorniksam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Nsuidara wrote:so meybe in darkness more events ? :D or other "pool"

u dont even live in darkness
gorniksam

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations