Pretend to be Dead/ Feint Mechanic

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Pretend to be Dead/ Feint Mechanic

Postby Messyng » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Ok I searched this section about Death(here only went 3 pages out of 66 to see nothing noteworthy), Feint, Pretend, Fake. Nothing came about the matter I want to suggest/ discuss.

Imagine, a scalped naked cropse, you approach it moves and engages in combat with you.

Or in a battle, pretend to fall off from a punch or thrust and later flee or surprise your opponent. (dangerous move indeed, but if done right in the heat of battle) Or pretend to be knocked since you have 5 stats overall, just to surprise later your opponent when he comes with his murderer.

There would be myriads of ways to try and make various traps by feinting that you are dead and maybe more stories in HoB

And lets not forget about the overall paranoia it adds to the game :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ok we know and saw that in most movies some fainted their death, but come, you said a scalped cropse? Well let me tell you that there was once a ronin who to get revenge upon his master, he had to sting himself allover with nettles, to turn red later and unrecognized, he endured that just to try to revenge.

About scalping, I don’t know this site says that some actually survived scalping back then.

https://www.quora.com/Did-anyone-survive-a-scalping-How

And who didn't saw the movie 127 hours based on real events and to think that someone actually chipped off his hand and endured all that.

Of course it should not be that easy like learning chilidish things in tutorial, it could be a little harder then waste skill aka arson and also lower in half your stats when you actually scalp yourself and have it permanent. Or you could gain insanity two times faster.

I don’t know as about how easy it is to get or what penalty you inflict upon yourself is for JC to decide or majority of ppl, but the questions remains, would it add a flavour to the game?
Due to the circumstances, due to my stubbornness.
Messyng

Re: Pretend to be Dead/ Feint Mechanic

Postby Dallane » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:24 pm

Messyng wrote:I don’t know as about how easy it is to get or what penalty you inflict upon yourself is for JC to decide or majority of ppl, but the questions remains, would it add a flavour to the game?

Not really. You will end up with everyone scalping themselves so that no one else can take theirs. You would also have people farming said scalps for free store items.

What would be interesting would be a actual hide mechanic like in a tree or bush and would remove your character from the map so that the bot client can't send off alarms. With that there would need to be some sort of perception check so it isn't OP.

In the end there won't be a huge need or use for the mechanic. It will be just you sitting there waiting hours on end for someone to hopefully get near. For a playing dead type situation anyone with brains will just leave the body alone to see if it decays. If it doesn't then it's time to call friends.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Messyng » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Not really. You will end up with everyone scalping themselves so that no one else can take theirs. You would also have people farming said scalps for free store items.
Scalp yourself even if you permanently lose half stats and acs like mushroompoisoning, you would do that for the scalp? I would no.

What would be interesting would be a actual hide mechanic like in a tree or bush and would remove your character from the map so that the bot client can't send off alarms. With that there would need to be some sort of perception check so it isn't OP.
Yes wound be interesting when a dude pops out when seen in latikai tree raider mode.

In the end there won't be a huge need or use for the mechanic. It will be just you sitting there waiting hours on end for someone to hopefully get near. For a playing dead type situation anyone with brains will just leave the body alone to see if it decays. If it doesn't then it's time to call friends.

True enough, if only JC would remove this decay and just leave corpses in game, since skeletons still remain so whats the difference(yes I know that removing decay to generate skeletons will add problems for JC since they are part of other mechanics. Or have corpses standing near to add a good amount of madness, more reasons to approach and take care/ burry/ move it somewhere.

And again no one says you ought to remain alert with that alt for hours, you could always have him like an alt who sometime checks, you know like the dudes who stand in Town and sometime do actions.

Anyway it was just an idea, I guess I will move on if the idea is not popular/ easy to be implemented.
Last edited by Messyng on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Messyng

Postby lachlaan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:53 pm

After the initial week, at most, people would engage any dead corpse with a batarang or dart to the face. If the batarang despawns means you're an alive player and not an object, then you can get darted and chased, or left to slowly lose phlegm. It'll always be a case of catching uninformed newbies, never good pvp-ers. So all you'll do is further alienate the newbies by throwing stuff at them that they already can't deal with.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Messyng » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:01 pm

lachlaan wrote:After the initial week, at most, people would engage any dead corpse with a batarang or dart to the face. If the batarang despawns means you're an alive player and not an object, then you can get darted and chased, or left to slowly lose phlegm. It'll always be a case of catching uninformed newbies, never good pvp-ers. So all you'll do is further alienate the newbies by throwing stuff at them that they already can't deal with.

Valid argument, if only it would be implemented like lassos, to not be able to drag corpses, in this case to hit them with batrags,darts, guns.

In the end I guess it only adds more problems for JC to implement this mechanic, a mechanic that could or not be fun.
Messyng

Postby MaxPlanck » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:06 pm

If this were to be a thing that people don't just spam to narnia every start of the fight to pretend that they have very low biles by feigning the first thrust or other heavy damage move they take then this feign move needs to cost an initial like 50-90% max pleghm/continuously drain pleghm overtime to stay in the feign stance, and a snare type effect similar to leg sweep/gunshot so the player is hindered somewhat right after leaving the feign stance.

So if people want to go and use feign they risk not being able to get very far due to low pleghm and/or being slowed down in the process.
Just saying that there need to be downsides for the player using feign and not just only upsides.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Messyng » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:14 pm

MaxPlanck wrote:If this were to be a thing that people don't just spam to narnia every start of the fight to pretend that they have very low biles by feigning the first thrust or other heavy damage move they take then this feign move needs to cost an initial like 50-90% max pleghm/continuously drain pleghm overtime to stay in the feign stance, and a snare type effect similar to leg sweep/gunshot so the player is hindered somewhat right after leaving the feign stance.

So if people want to go and use feign they risk not being able to get very far due to low pleghm and/or being slowed down in the process.
Just saying that there need to be downsides for the player using feign and not just only upsides.

Naturally balanced out, as every thing ought to be, there could also be higher skills that lower the drain rate, like how we have with teleport skill that lowers the time.

Or have it that when you use feint you have also the initial penalty of being stunned like when you smoke to much hookah.
Messyng

Postby Dallane » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Messyng wrote:
Scalp yourself even if you permanently lose half stats and acs like mushroompoisoning, you would do that for the scalp? I would no.

Again people will make characters just for the scalp and store turn ins. You are creating a gap for top players to abuse. Why would I care if that character loses some stats I can just regain?

Messyng wrote:True enough, if only JC would remove this decay and just leave corpses in game, since skeletons still remain so whats the difference(yes I know that removing decay to generate skeletons will add problems for JC since they are part of other mechanics. Or have corpses standing near to add a good amount of madness, more reasons to approach and take care/ burry/ move it somewhere.

Do you not know current death body mechanics or why they are in place?

Messyng wrote:And again no one says you ought to remain alert with that alt for hours, you could always have him like an alt who sometime checks, you know like the dudes who stand in Town and sometime do actions.

People already do this with naked alts.

I think hidding is fun but the playing dead thing doesn't really work. There are too many things that would have to change so that this wouldn't be abused.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Messyng » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Again people will make characters just for the scalp and store turn ins. You are creating a gap for top players to abuse. Why would I care if that character loses some stats I can just regain?

I had more like in mind that if I had a crafter with 600bb I would not scalp myself to be able to gain later inspiration points aka 300bb. But then again you are right, at moment it does not make sense to raise much t&n and yes you could scalp yourself when you finished building the character.

Do you not know current death body mechanics or why they are in place?

Yes diseases and curses such as for inheritance, yes I said in (yes I know that removing decay to generate skeletons will add problems for JC since they are part of other mechanics)

People already do this with naked alts.

I had in mind a more inconspicuous way of observing over a place.

I think hidding is fun but the playing dead thing doesn't really work. There are too many things that would have to change so that this wouldn't be abused.

I guess you are right, to many things are to be changed to make it work, lets only hope that overtime someone comes up with an idea for hiding/ambushing.
Messyng

Postby Messyng » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Ok you can't pretend to be scalped and dead at he same time and somehow hope to ambush.

But what about feint in combat? Another alternative who could sometime work or not, just like yellow belly.
Messyng

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations