toys

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

toys

Postby grimryth » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:42 pm

hi all i did some searching for this topic on the forums but haven't found anything of it, feel free to remove if i missed the topic somewhere, but i would appreciate a link to the post. so i can discuss it in the proper one. anywho, i like the madness and insanity mechanics, they make the game more fun. my suggestion is that playing with some toys should lower insanity, it just makes sense to be able to do things like spin a top and have it be an enjoyable activity. you shouldn't be able to constantly do it though. say you spin the top once after that it could lower the inspiration values or have a level of decay to where you can only play with it one more time before it breaks. maybe have the leather ball to where you can throw it at someone to relieve stress, everyone remembers how much fun dodgeball was as a kid. have a drawback though, like if the person you threw it at makes an attempt to retrieve it they can pop the ball in front of you and you gain some insanity from it. if you have instrument playing skills, play the grass whistle. be able to actually walk the beetle or fly the kite. if the kite catches too much wind, you lose it and gain insanity. if the beetle sees something it likes give it a chance to get off of the leash and run away.
grimryth

Re: toys

Postby pberci » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Well, there is a wide range of inspirationals in the Toy category. And studying inspirational items lowers insanity, so in a way, this is already a thing.

Also, there are countless methods to lower insanity. Even madness lowering methods are available for free: of course the Teddy-Bear is bothersome to use, and the Tobacco is expensive for a beginner, but there are still the Hookahs: some in the Den (though that requires high affluence to get to), but also one in the deep level of the Providence Crypt. They take down a full level of madness every day for free, while also giving a handful of inspiration points.

I think just look up the countless ways, insanity can be countered. There are already more than enough ways to do it. Implementing these kind of play animations would be a far greater work, than its use in the game.
pberci

Postby joshnpk » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:14 pm

This sounds alright, maybe you could balance it by giving the player a debuff called "Childish nature". This would essentially double the amount of insanity received from performing actions that contribute towards gaining a madness level. Playing with toys could significantly reduce madness by a large amount, so if you're desperate to reduce your madness levels quickly you could play with toys which would potentially remove 2-3 madness levels in one go. The draw back though is for the course of a few days you have the Childish nature debuff which would essentially double or even triple the amount of insanity received from performing actions that contribute towards gaining a madness level.
I think I have a hat problem.
joshnpk

Postby pberci » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm

joshnpk wrote:This sounds alright, maybe you could balance it by giving the player a debuff called "Childish nature". This would essentially double the amount of insanity received from performing actions that contribute towards gaining a madness level. Playing with toys could significantly reduce madness by a large amount, so if you're desperate to reduce your madness levels quickly you could play with toys which would potentially remove 2-3 madness levels in one go. The draw back though is for the course of a few days you have the Childish nature debuff which would essentially double or even triple the amount of insanity received from performing actions that contribute towards gaining a madness level.

Wow, this way it becomes much cooler, really Salem-like, I like the concept this way.
pberci

Postby grimryth » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:30 pm

that would be a cool way to do it.
grimryth

Postby joshnpk » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:05 pm

pberci wrote:
joshnpk wrote:This sounds alright, maybe you could balance it by giving the player a debuff called "Childish nature". This would essentially double the amount of insanity received from performing actions that contribute towards gaining a madness level. Playing with toys could significantly reduce madness by a large amount, so if you're desperate to reduce your madness levels quickly you could play with toys which would potentially remove 2-3 madness levels in one go. The draw back though is for the course of a few days you have the Childish nature debuff which would essentially double or even triple the amount of insanity received from performing actions that contribute towards gaining a madness level.

Wow, this way it becomes much cooler, really Salem-like, I like the concept this way.

Thanks
I think I have a hat problem.
joshnpk

Postby Qiresea » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:18 pm

this sounds like fun but there are many activites that reduce insanity and are productive, so i suppose people will tend to prefer those instead to save time.
Darwoth wrote:It really is not fair that every time you try to jab at me you make yourself look more retarded than any retort i could come up with.

Γιά την Κυρία των τριών βασιλείων: της γης, του ουρανού και της θάλασσας.
Qiresea
Customer

Postby MaxPlanck » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:22 pm

There is this magnificent toy called the Trumpet. It does miracles; it saves children from the very precipice of boredom itself.

And all you have to do is ...
Keep it in your off-hand slot or backpack at all times and you yourself will find the joys in life again when you play a few notes off that golden instrument as you find yourself never riddled with the thoughts of madness and temptations of suicide anymore.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Return to Ideas & Innovations