Less clicking: Keyboard controlled camera/Item use

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Less clicking: Keyboard controlled camera/Item use

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:06 am

I've got carpal tunnel, anything that makes this game playable with less clicks is incredibly important to me. I have to avoid eating food like fish fillets because the clicking kills me. A lot of my clicking is caused by camera controlling, being able to swap hands and use my left hand would be really helpful there. Being able to swap hands would help a lot as it's my mouse hand that's bad. Also some people have broken scroll wheels as it's the first bit to go on most mice.

I'd also really love being able to hold a key down (shift, alt, or ctrl) which would auto select the right click option without a second click. At least for items with only one option like splitting normal wood blocks or eating cooked meat. It might seem small, but cutting clicks in half cuts down on the pain a lot. Better yet, why do things like forageables require two clicks at all? A single right click should be fine for those.

This goes out to either devs or modders. I'd really appreciate it personally, and I know others would benefit as well. I'm in a lot of pain tonight because of this game, and I'd love to be able to play without wrecking my wrist muscles even further while doing it.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Re: Less clicking: Keyboard controlled camera/Item use

Postby loftar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:57 am

Sevenless wrote:I'd also really love being able to hold a key down (shift, alt, or ctrl) which would auto select the right click option without a second click.

As a specific note on this, are you aware that the flower-menu options are available with the number keys (1-9, corresponding to the order of the options)? It seems to me that right-clicking an item and pressing 1 is almost as good as holding a modifier key and right-clicking. Were you simply unaware, or do you find it otherwise?
loftar

It is OK to use AutoHotkey for this? (I hope so)

Postby Ketu » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Sevenless wrote:...and I know others would benefit as well. I'm in a lot of pain tonight because of this game, and I'd love to be able to play without wrecking my wrist muscles even further while doing it.

Like me, he is trying to avoid that initial Right-Click.

My solution is to use AutoHotkey and a script that will activate the Right Click (RButton) when you press the Right Alt (RAlt) key.

So, for instance:

1. Download AutoHotkey and install it: http://www.autohotkey.com/ (it's free open source)

2. Create a new, empty text file. Open it in notepad.

3. Copy & paste all the text from the box below into your text file
Code: Select all
RAlt::RButton

4. Rename your textfile to rightclick.ahk

5. Double-click rightclick.ahk to start the script

An icon showing an "H" with green background appears in your system tray while the script is running. To stop it, right-click that icon and select Exit.

But you probably want to have 2 new hot keys:

1. (Shown above) Keyboard hotkey that executes a right mouse click (then you can also use the number keys to select the flower menu option) to ease up the right hand use.

2. Right mouse hold down key (to rotate your view).

And you should be use a custom client so you have icons on the map to click on instead of actually clicking the ground spawns in game. Yeah?
Ketu

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:14 pm

loftar wrote:
Sevenless wrote:I'd also really love being able to hold a key down (shift, alt, or ctrl) which would auto select the right click option without a second click.

As a specific note on this, are you aware that the flower-menu options are available with the number keys (1-9, corresponding to the order of the options)? It seems to me that right-clicking an item and pressing 1 is almost as good as holding a modifier key and right-clicking. Were you simply unaware, or do you find it otherwise?

Unaware. Much appreciated Loftar. There is no compendium of keyboard shortcuts that I've seen for this game and I've tried quite a few random buttons just to try and figure them out. I'll be adding a list to my guide at some point so that we can have a hopefully complete list amassed for people to read.

As for is it the same, not quite. The pain is mostly caused per press, holding something is less painful than repeatedly clicking/pressing a key. Either way I'll start using those to help me out. Thanks for the reply.

As for your reply ketu: Yes I use custom clients, and your fix looks good to me. I'd still prefer in game support though if possible because I'm sure I'm not the only gamer with this issue as of current. And I doubt every one of them will be tech savvy.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Ketu » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:52 pm

This is the best setup I have found so far:

The Tilde key ` ~ for Right Mouse Button.
The Left Windows key for Middle Mouse Button.

Code: Select all
`::RButton
LWin::MButton

This leaves all the other keys functioning as normal and it is handy having the number keys for the flower menus right next to the tilde.
Using the LAlt key as I posted above was interfering with some game and client commands.
Ketu

Return to Ideas & Innovations