Landscape.

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Landscape.

Postby kitsune5 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 am

Probably much people want what i claim:

More of this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

or this alpha atmosphera but not such exagerated trees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDySrWMY2Ik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQiSnq9Xo3s

And less of:

Dont you want feel wraped by the fores? keeping warm but at the same time feeling fear?
Just grow up the actual trees, put a bit more of desity.
When i see my character i dont make any bond, a bond that would be possible if u feel on the woods too, not only on the air making a really cold feeling of third camera.

Alpha salem was better at least for me concerning this atmosphera of this magnific cartoon style, now this seems any old fashioned game...
dont fear be less realist. Mix alpha and beta, dont make ultra hight trees(nearly okey), but dont fall back and do a worst thing... this is not too late D`: we are on beta yet

What you think about?
sorry my english. Thanks. :)
kitsune5

Re: Landscape.

Postby Dallane » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 am

I have no idea what you are trying to say. I can't make out a Idea or a Innovation for the game from your post.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby colesie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:22 am

And how do you propose they do this? How would they implement arching trees when it's a randomly spawned world were trees are plunked down aimlessly?
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby Mushibag » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 am

Dallane wrote:I have no idea what you are trying to say. I can't make out a Idea or a Innovation for the game from your post.

I believe he's saying that the graphics suck, and suggesting that they should be made to look more like the first pic, which has almost a "warmer" feeling. The current graphics make you feel disconnected from your character, whereas the first pic is more inviting and encourages a more intimate bond with your character and the world around you/it. He is also suggesting that they not be afraid to venture further into the realm of unrealistic, and stick to the more cartoonish look seen in the first example.

[This translation and interpretation do not necessarily reflect the ideas or opinions of the translator/interpreter.]
Mushibag

Postby Dallane » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:40 am

box art should always reflect how the game actually is.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Yes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:27 pm

I like this suggestion.
(a person who plays online games since the 1980s about salem) laywn wrote:I have never seen anything so down right dirty!
Yes

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Dallane wrote:box art should always reflect how the game actually is.

Because every other game looks like its box art, amirite?

On the serious side, we used to have large, enclosing trees like on the box. You couldn't play the game.

Also, maybe you should show a screen of the forests instead of a grassland. I realize the forest still isn't this old-growth thing like you'd actually experience, but there's a heck of a lot more trees in it.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Potjeh » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:54 pm

I agree, they should've went with a more cartoonish style, ie cell shading.

Also, ground textures are still bloody awful, especially the coniferous forest. They look like they're lower res than the rest of the graphics, and they seem to be using a completely different colour palette (one with colours that are too loud).
Potjeh

Postby poers3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:24 pm

moar trees
poers3

Postby kitsune5 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Mushibag wrote:
Dallane wrote:I have no idea what you are trying to say. I can't make out a Idea or a Innovation for the game from your post.

I believe he's saying that the graphics suck, and suggesting that they should be made to look more like the first pic, which has almost a "warmer" feeling. The current graphics make you feel disconnected from your character, whereas the first pic is more inviting and encourages a more intimate bond with your character and the world around you/it. He is also suggesting that they not be afraid to venture further into the realm of unrealistic, and stick to the more cartoonish look seen in the first example.

[This translation and interpretation do not necessarily reflect the ideas or opinions of the translator/interpreter.]

Yeah that is, sorry for my bad redaction xD
Any way the main problem i think is the high of the trees, are tiny on the camera, even inside the forest.

On alpha were overgrowt, but watch my perfect skill of microsoft paint on beta:

Compare with this

i took this picture and not other with more trees cause in here u can compare the high on the actual beta

What you think about this high? :idea:
kitsune5

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations