Farmed Mushrooms - Unique varieties

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Farmed Mushrooms - Unique varieties

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 am

Uses humus to be grown on, spores obtained by gardening sugar caps. Uses a special compost trough, only grown indoors or in mines. Mines vs Indoors could give different mushrooms if desired. Gives a little play for new recipes such as mushroom soup, or composite mushroom dishes like Mushrom Medley which is composed of farmed and foraged mushroom types.

Definitely not historically accurate. Mushroom farming came from east indians and wasn't commercially done in NA until the 1900s apparently. But it fits well with the game theme and all of the technology was available at the time.

Anyway, just a thought.
Last edited by Sevenless on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Re: Farmed Mushrooms - Unique varieties

Postby sabinati » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:47 am

it'd be nice to have fungiculture as a separate industry from horticulture/gardening. maybe different growing mediums in combination with the different locations could produce different mushroom types? irl mushrooms can grow in hay, humus, wood choppings, drilled logs, and probably some other places i don't recall, the point being that different ones do better in different mediums.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby TeckXKnight » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:49 am

sabinati wrote:it'd be nice to have fungiculture as a separate industry from horticulture/gardening. maybe different growing mediums in combination with the different locations could produce different mushroom types? irl mushrooms can grow in hay, humus, wood choppings, drilled logs, and probably some other places i don't recall, the point being that different ones do better in different mediums.

It'd be neat if this was even an alternative usage for animal corpses and things of that nature.
TeckXKnight

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:00 am

sabinati wrote:it'd be nice to have fungiculture as a separate industry from horticulture/gardening. maybe different growing mediums in combination with the different locations could produce different mushroom types? irl mushrooms can grow in hay, humus, wood choppings, drilled logs, and probably some other places i don't recall, the point being that different ones do better in different mediums.

Very much so. I took a mycology course in university. Pine Mushrooms (endemic to west coast NA and asia, although cousin varieties) grow on rotting logs. Button mushrooms grow on manure (Only from asia though). The Psilocibin (the hallucinogenic one) grows on rotting grass, or moist hay I'd presume. These are native to the east coast of canada and probably some of the northern united states. Button mushrooms are non-native, but grow on manure. Wood rotters, Manure rotters, vegetation rotters. You won't typically see "meat rotters" because bacteria are faster growing. Mushrooms are better at decomposition, but slower to grow. So they tend to break down harder materials like plant cellulose, while bacteria gobble up the nutrient rich meats. This is also why fungal diseases are much less frequent than bacterial ones, they're slow growing compared to our immune system.

Anyway, I whole-heartedly agree that there's plenty of depth available to create a sub section of agriculture based off this. Three base materials (humus, hay, wood chips), and three different locations (inside, outside, mine) to play with. Futhermore I'd absolutely love to see a mushroom based curse/hex that causes a mushroom to grow ontop of the pilgrims head, knocking their hat into their inventory or onto the cursor when it grows. Picking the shroom off would fund numen to the cursing witch, but another shroom would grow back eventually unless the curse/hex was removed.

Personally I would wear it as the height of Pilgrim fashion. And naturally some mushrooms would be poisonous and of no apparent use to any pilgrim without a cauldron and a broom *coughs*.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Sevenless wrote:The Psilocibin (the hallucinogenic one) grows on rotting grass, or moist hay I'd presume.

This. So much this. Could be used to "poison" other players, making them see things and creatures that don't exist. Living in a dream-world for x hours until they lose the debuff and have to figure out what happened.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Qukatt » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:30 pm

It would be a great use of mine space after you've got a lot of room in there.

You could grow bioluminescent ones :D
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out. - Battlebug (Sw:tor forums pre-wipe)
Qukatt

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:51 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:
Sevenless wrote:The Psilocibin (the hallucinogenic one) grows on rotting grass, or moist hay I'd presume.

This. So much this. Could be used to "poison" other players, making them see things and creatures that don't exist. Living in a dream-world for x hours until they lose the debuff and have to figure out what happened.

The Fly Agaric, native to northern eurasia, is hallucinogenic and vomit inducing. Not cultivatable though. Many mushrooms are only findable "in nature" due to the fact that they live as nutrient retrievers for trees. The trees in return feed the mushrooms for the minerals/nutrients the mushrooms are better at gathering out of the soil. The key is, there's a very specific "chemical key" that the mushroom and tree go through to recognize hosts. This key at the very least requires scientific labs to recreate, but in reality may be essentially out of our reach to re-create at all.
Sevenless

Return to Ideas & Innovations