Digging should calm insanity not increase it

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Digging should calm insanity not increase it

Postby Osky » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:24 pm

I love terraforming in this game, and the challenge is a lot of fun. I don't understand why I am increasing in madness levels though. Isn't digging a similar equivalent to "raking sand?"

Or...is it because it's too easily macro-able? Interested in hearing others' thoughts.
Osky

Re: Digging should calm insanity not increase it

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:29 pm

You are getting 'traces of lost collony'. This item gives insanity when found.
I think arround 6 of them in a row are enough for a madness level.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Taipion » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:53 pm

There might be reasons against it, but I'd also like digging to have a rather calming effect than maddening.

Also: When is the digging artifice going to be fixed? It's been forever and longer since it was broken intentionally.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby DarkNacht » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:56 am

As someone who worked as a landscaper, ie professional digger, for quite a few years, I can say that digging is nothing like raking sand, it is usually a frustrating and mind numbing activity. Its bad enough that during long jobs where the bulk of the work was digging by hand we frequently would have issues keeping some of the workers from sneaking off and getting high or drunk on their breaks.
DarkNacht

Postby Ghoul » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:09 am

DarkNacht wrote:As someone who worked as a landscaper, ie professional digger, for quite a few years, I can say that digging is nothing like raking sand, it is usually a frustrating and mind numbing activity. Its bad enough that during long jobs where the bulk of the work was digging by hand we frequently would have issues keeping some of the workers from sneaking off and getting high or drunk on their breaks.

Perfect example of why digging should increase insanity. I love it.
Realak wrote:You guys are treating this game like it is a pvp esport or something and not the retarded version of farmville it is.
Ghoul

Postby Taipion » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:06 pm

Ghoul wrote:
DarkNacht wrote:As someone who worked as a landscaper, ie professional digger, for quite a few years, I can say that digging is nothing like raking sand, it is usually a frustrating and mind numbing activity. Its bad enough that during long jobs where the bulk of the work was digging by hand we frequently would have issues keeping some of the workers from sneaking off and getting high or drunk on their breaks.

Yea next thing is you say that about mass production cooking, whittling, potting, .... :lol:
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Ghoul » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Taipion wrote:
Ghoul wrote:

Yea next thing is you say that about mass production cooking, whittling, potting, .... :lol:

How is cooking, or any of those, comparable to digging though? Digging is mind-numbing, arduous, and repetitive. Cooking is flavours, smells, being spontaneous and cooking a savory meal without a recipe, and baking delicious treats by following a recipe exactly. Whittling takes skill and practice to actually create something beautiful, pottery much the same. Digging is moving dirt from one place to the next until you're done. It sucks. Why do you think some of the aforementioned landscapers were sneaking off to ingest drugs?
Realak wrote:You guys are treating this game like it is a pvp esport or something and not the retarded version of farmville it is.
Ghoul

Postby Taipion » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:40 pm

Ghoul wrote:How is cooking, or any of those, comparable to digging though? Digging is mind-numbing, arduous, and repetitive. Cooking is flavours, smells, being spontaneous and cooking a savory meal without a recipe, and baking delicious treats by following a recipe exactly. Whittling takes skill and practice to actually create something beautiful, pottery much the same. Digging is moving dirt from one place to the next until you're done. It sucks. Why do you think some of the aforementioned landscapers were sneaking off to ingest drugs?

I say cooking in form of mass production, and you ... oh well, reading, you gotta try that one day! :P
What is cooking in Salem? Spontaneous "art" and pleasure, or assembly line mass production of certain 2-3 items 1k times each?
Taipion

Return to Ideas & Innovations