New Server (Poll)

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Would you like to play on a smaller map?

I would like to play on a smaller map (2-4x Popham size) and carry my character and store items over
5%
I would like to play on a smaller map (2-4x Popham size) and carry only store items over
9%
I prefer the current larger map
60%
I would like to play on a smaller map, but would not like to wipe Providence at all
20%
I am indifferent
5%

Total votes : 55

Re: New Server (Poll)

Postby Dallane » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Judaism wrote:I dont care so much about my characters, stuff and bases probaly because character wise I never went full retard, stuff wise I never really cared about legacy items and other rares. I am glad that I have not since they ruined almost all ''rares'' with free giveaways and other b/s like that, base wise I simply could take over a few good bases that were better than I would make them after months of time invested.

I dont, nor ever have played for those purposes and sadly Providence is all about that nowadays. Another pernament server with different mechanics overall would be interesting and has been suggested already many times. The fun fact about the older servers is that you would be in different environments and that was somewhat great. You've had different factions and people on each server and most of them would stay on their single realm. The server merge didn't necessary do any good in that aspect. I am aware that the game does not hold enough players now to split into different servers but there is a clear reason why they were implemented in the first place and why many games do it this way.

Multiple servers were implemented so JL could test different things if I remember correctly. They wanted to see how people reacted to stalls, spent money on the store, see how the different servers could be eventually connected, etc.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Chrumps » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Chrumps

Postby lachlaan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:02 pm

@ Devs being interested in rivers, provided they fix horses so they have like .. swim bars that regenerate so they are not rendered entirely useless by a connected river system, could JC not tweak terrain spreading to work with water tiles actively? Such as, rivers could extend a bit further, generate towards one of their sides and decay on another side, stuff like that. Rivers dig alternative paths in time, and debris and dirt/sand accumulation can raise one of the banks, perhaps that would be an adequate solution to make the rivers slowly evolve into a format you guys like.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Darwoth » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:38 am

i do not really see the rivers as much of a problem there is plenty enough inter connectibility, any more and not only would overall travel be slower due to interference with mounts but you would also have more difficulty finding a large piece of land for a proper base without a bunch of water next to it.
Darwoth

Postby Chrumps » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:54 am

This kind of interconnection would be a NICE THING allowing people to save on carrying canoe between rivers. If it is done with shallow water there will be no problem with mounts.

It is absolutely infeasible on the whole map but I am pretty sure people here can point out a number of links like that to form more meaningful river systems in the inhabited areas.

Not to mention such river systems will become a good place to hunt for travellers.

Chrumps

Postby nadde991 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Chrumps wrote:This kind of interconnection would be a NICE THING allowing people to save on carrying canoe between rivers. If it is done with shallow water there will be no problem with mounts.

It is absolutely infeasible on the whole map but I am pretty sure people here can point out a number of links like that to form more meaningful river systems in the inhabited areas.

Not to mention such river systems will become a good place to hunt for travellers.

I think the map should not be made to meet the players needs, the player should be the one adapting to it's environment.
matan002 wrote:i'm on the most updated and highest technologically advanced mac, completely superior to the grub you call windows ¦]
nadde991

Postby Feone » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Since I'm not active I don't have much of an opinion either way.

Out of curiosity though, would it not be possible to run an algorithm over the current map to plot additional river links/shift existing rivers to look better while avoiding all obstacles, player made or otherwise? Most rivers aren't very wide and they could easily meander around trees etc.
Feone

Postby TotalyMeow » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Feone wrote:Since I'm not active I don't have much of an opinion either way.

Out of curiosity though, would it not be possible to run an algorithm over the current map to plot additional river links/shift existing rivers to look better while avoiding all obstacles, player made or otherwise? Most rivers aren't very wide and they could easily meander around trees etc.

Probably, but would you rather we spend a year creating such a program, or would you rather have what new content we can add in that time? There are a few things we can do and want to do, but they are too inefficient compared to other possibilities.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby lachlaan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:23 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:
Feone wrote:Since I'm not active I don't have much of an opinion either way.

Probably, but would you rather we spend a year creating such a program, or would you rather have what new content we can add in that time? There are a few things we can do and want to do, but they are too inefficient compared to other possibilities.

Outsource <.< just send marp to sweden with the promise that if he manages to capture a wild Loftar and smuggle him back to the states and put him in his(Marp's) old cage, he will then clearly not fit in the cage and may be freeeee until the modifiable landscape code is written and functional.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby riker88 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:11 am

im 4 a smaller map, even if i have to build my bases over thats ok. just let me bring my characters..
riker88
Customer

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations