New Server (Poll)

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Would you like to play on a smaller map?

I would like to play on a smaller map (2-4x Popham size) and carry my character and store items over
5%
I would like to play on a smaller map (2-4x Popham size) and carry only store items over
9%
I prefer the current larger map
60%
I would like to play on a smaller map, but would not like to wipe Providence at all
20%
I am indifferent
5%

Total votes : 55

Re: New Server (Poll)

Postby Paradoxyc » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:26 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:
Nsuidara wrote:it's still possible
a) resize map
b) add new system travel/teleport to other maps both side
mean from Boston traver into Capucino Town (other big map) and swap from Capucino to Boston... etc.

That's easy to say.

But if we shrink the map, what happens to all the towns and hermitages in the tiles we remove? It's just as bad as a wipe to just remove whole sections of the map. We looked in to moving towns out of the bump and placing them elsewhere so we could get rid of it, but it was unworkable.

Transferring goods from one server to another isn't as easy as you think. It messes with all the timers and while I don't understand the details, I'm told that fixing this would require an extensive rewrite. And what is the point? Make the server bigger? It doesn't need to be bigger, there is room in the current server for tens of thousands of players at the least.

The reason I created this theead was for this very reason - tens of thousands of people can comfortably fit on Providence, yet the playerbase is currently around 3-400 people.
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:34 pm

But wiping the server and removing everyone's hard work might make a few players happy, but it would alienate everyone else and do no good at all since those who want a wipe are those who always want a wipe. They'll get bored again and we'll have done nothing but harm on all counts. We really did discuss this at length and from all sides and what came from it was the determination to make Providence permanent with the addition of the landmarks, and to create the Expeditions for those who love a fresh start.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Dallane » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:52 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:We talked this over extensively in the beginning. There are a few issues with this map like the stupid bump in the NW or that fact that the rivers don't interconnect into a cohesive river system (a thing which bothers me much more than anyone else), and the long travel times used to be an issue. We thought about opening a server with a smaller map and letting people move or stay, but we ultimately decided against it and added the fast-travel outposts and landmarks instead. We just don't want anyone's years of hard work becoming worthless or getting wiped.

This is one thing I've really hated about the map is the river system. It doesn't make sense and you can't explore that much with it.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Judaism » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:28 pm

I can see a wipe being tempting in some ways, the map for example is way, way too large and they should be significantly smaller (5-10 times) in my opinion. But besides the map size I don't think it actually would make a large difference. They do not want to adapt the current mechanics towards the insanely OP current bases and the characters that have progessed beyond a point to make any sense and thus snowballing on all their other mechanics such as top 10 towns and such.

So yeah, a wipe isn't necessary in my opinion. A different development approach probaly would yield better results.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby MarpTarpton » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:38 pm

There wasn't an option to wipe the server without giving store items or characters so I could not vote.

That said, you can't resize the map for all the reasons meow listed. Not possible, can't happen, don't suggest it. I don't put much stock in the theory that people don't like playing Salem because Providence is too big. Not that it isn't. It's way too big. But here is where our thoughts went.

1) Map is impossible to resize without removing bases and towns. These things can't be moved except for every object at a time, manually, like lifting objects in game. So, not an option.
2) JC made a strong commitment to no wipes of Providence unless some kind of catastrophe befell the game or code. We determined the size of the map was not worthy of a wipe.
3) The size of the map is still a huge issue. We overcame this with landmarks and surveys. Although you are unlikely to stumble upon an active player (depending on how far and/or where you travel), you have plenty of space to create and explore and destroy, plus crimes are still trackable.
4) People who want to play in a world where they are likely to meet others would do well to play the expeditions.

Now, I'm not sure this is the best course of action. I have questioned the player psychology of permadeath persistent world MMOs in my mind and with friends over and over, trying to pin just what those players really need for playability. I don't think one perfect answer exists. Whether the world is always the same or whether you wipe all the time, it's the value of your content and the culture of the community that provides retention.

Providence's map is what it is. It's not a seasonal concept that will grow or shrink to meet the demands of its players. It won't have wipes that reset the player interest. Like the functions mentioned above, we instituted expeditions to serve that function. This isn't to say that in the event the players of Salem unanimously demanded a wipe that we wouldn't oblige, as it's for you guys we made our commitment in the first place. But I don't see it coming to that and I don't think a smaller permanent server would create retention, though I can see the argument that closer quarters would increase encounters and thus make the game more fun if that's what you're playing for.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
MarpTarpton
Site Admin

Postby Nsuidara » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:51 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:But if we shrink the map, what happens to all the towns and hermitages in the tiles we remove? It's just as bad as a wipe to just remove whole sections of the map. We looked in to moving towns out of the bump and placing them elsewhere so we could get rid of it, but it was unworkable.

1. I will become better... and said that, about resize i don't talk about made smaller map... but resize and made bigger map :F

TotalyMeow wrote:Transferring goods from one server to another isn't as easy as you think. It messes with all the timers and while I don't understand the details, I'm told that fixing this would require an extensive rewrite. And what is the point? Make the server bigger? It doesn't need to be bigger, there is room in the current server for tens of thousands of players at the least.

No No No... i don't have this mean...
mines, houses, dreamworld it's other maps
so you can add other continents like dreamworld... IN ONE SERVER
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Dodo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:14 pm

I don't have an issue with the size of the map. I'm fairly "new" to the game and wouldn't mind a new persistent map, perhaps it being a bit smaller that would allow me to be on a level playing field. That being said, I'm also aware that this may divide the already small community.

Just my 2 cents
Dodo

Postby Darwoth » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:27 am

this is just yet another thread from the **** players clamoring for a wipe using things that have no effect on them as a talking point, there have been a half dozen wipes in this games history because the previous developers were morons that continuously used them to try to "reset" the game after they ***** it up. the end result is the **** players were still **** and wanted a wipe 4 months later and the quality players again rose to the top but them and the overall population became less in number with each wipe.

map size is to large (again a retarded decision from the previous developers) but not a "big problem" and in reality for the majority of the playerbase is how they would want it anyway since 95% of the people in the game are sheep.

the only scenario a "map change" would work in is if characters transferred over, you could build crates or suitcases to transfer items over and your "town" (buildings, wall tiles, braziers etc) got sent to you in the mail to be taken out and placed again, short of that no thanks. i have better **** to do then restart salem for the umpteenth time just to kick the same group of retards asses again until they cry for another wipe.
Darwoth

Postby Chrumps » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:13 am

In my perspective a wipe would be a good impulse to stop playing for a year or more. I bet I am not alone and that's one of reasons devs do not want a wipe.
I'd say do not mess with the map size and instead focus on increasing population and perhaps transportation. Yes, rivers suck. I am concerned as hell about it every time when I am trying to get anywhere with a canoe.
Perhaps Santa Marp can terraform here and there, when nobody is watching, in order to create consistent waterways.

Retention is a tricky thing, getting anywhere in this game requires a lot of time and defense requires at least logging on daily. In the long run it is difficult to keep up that pace while having meaningful real life and hobbies other than gaming.
Chrumps

Postby Dallane » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:26 am

I dunno why people want a new map or restarting for this game. It just doesn't make sense here. None of the patches have screwed up the server, nothing has really changed to the point where a reset is necessary, world maps no longer corrupt, etc. The size of the map and river system blows but anyone who has traversed the map knows that it isn't really that bad.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations