Feasting together

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Feasting together

Postby Chrumps » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:14 pm

I miss H&H feasting mechanics, that is having a reason to feast together as a village. The reason was additional, stacking feasting bonuses when two or more players decided to feast together. I do miss those preparations for a feast and all seeing village members gathering to eat together.

Possible implementations:
1. Stacking Sugar & Spice bonus. The cumulative S&S of all involved players is used to calculate F&F reductions rather than individual S&S values as an argument to sqrt() (or whatever diminishing returns function is used). This option looks to be the easiest one to implement. This option gives more benefits to less advanced members, while still giving some extra bonus to most developed players.

2. Additional bile points for reaching certain cumulative feasting set values. This option looks nice at the first sight but can be easily overpowered, I do not like it very much.

3. Shared food group restore mechanics. E.g. When one player eats a food piece without getting a debuff all other players get a 5% chance to get 5% restore to the same food group. When one player gets debuff all other player get 5% chance to get 10% debuff. Eating larger amount of foods with more than 30% chance for a debuff will have negative effect on co-feasters. I like this option because it requires food discipline from all village members and involves responsibility for others.
Some math for option 3:
I considered two scenarios: 10% chance / 10% debuff and 5% chance / 10% debuff.
Under 10%/10% scenario all foods that give more than 20% chances for debuff are bad

Currently it is not possible that two players access a feasting table at the same time. This has to be changed, instead adding any items to the table should be disabled as long as any of the players accessing the table is in gluttony mode.

In H&H there was also a fireplace mechanics binding the tables within fireplace range together to get even more bonuses. This can be replicated in Salem, however furniture used outdoors might be damaged during the feast. In the future a new building - feasting hall or canteen can be added instead of fireplace to allow big towns to feast indoors.

I am fully aware this mechanics will benefit raising alts. I do see how any mechanics benefiting other player could not be (ab)used to benefit alts.
Chrumps

Re: Feasting together

Postby MaxPlanck » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:33 pm

Didn't H&H have a cap on stats though? Salem; there is no cap for humours so this would just spiral the balance of the game out of whack, alts or not.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Hose » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Jorb and Loftar removed the cap
My dog walks me to the park and doggy styles me, if you find that weird you're an arrogant gender-assuming bloodthirsty gun-loving cisgender bestial sexist incestuous white-previlege misogynistic biased raped privileged Nazi slave owner terrorist lesbian.
Hose

Postby MaxPlanck » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:56 pm

There is supposed to be a new "craving" system coming soon that is a possible gluttony rework. So as much as I'd like to consider some of these ideas for group feasting I'd just wait and see what happens with Carvers plans on that subject.
Personally I still would rather avoid group feasting and rather a more rewarding gluttony system for not spamming the same food over and over.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Chrumps » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:04 pm

Well, the very idea is to make group gluttony more profitable than doing it alone. The exact implementation is a secondary thing.
Chrumps

Postby Dallane » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:37 pm

MaxPlanck wrote:There is supposed to be a new "craving" system coming soon that is a possible gluttony rework. So as much as I'd like to consider some of these ideas for group feasting I'd just wait and see what happens with Carvers plans on that subject.
Personally I still would rather avoid group feasting and rather a more rewarding gluttony system for not spamming the same food over and over.

It's not going to change much if I remember the original idea. You crave a certain food and get rewarded or punished depending if you filled or ignored the craving.

The group feasting in HnH is amazing. Was so much fun for a village to spend a week just making food for the big feast. Light the bon fire and chow down shooting the ****.

It would also be nice to be able to set a table with silverware, cups, plates and napkins. Can go from wood up to gold for better glutton sets.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Reviresco » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:00 pm

I hope all of these merry group feasters are poisoned by an infiltrator.

New mechanic: Poison dat food.
Reviresco

Postby Darwoth » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:21 am

if the terrible haven zerg mechanic of town feasting came to salem the same patch needs to have the cumulative dose food poisoning mechanic that was vetoed some time back.
Darwoth

Postby Chrumps » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Darwoth wrote:terrible haven zerg mechanic

That's because you have never felt the thrill of being part of zerg, except for the zerg of your own alts.

On the more serious note, the variant 3 includes possibility to damage other people's gluttony, in particular using foods with 90% chance for debuff will have serious damaging effect on co-feasters.

Though, I'd say, between wrong will and ignorance, ignorance will score more damage.

Food poisoning would have little effect because now the gluttony is purposely limited by table capacity and inventory capacity and giving food to a char in gluttony mode is disabled. Considering most of food will come from player's inventory rather than from the table there is limited chance to sneak in poisoned food.
Chrumps

Postby Darwoth » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:44 pm

blah blah blah you know not of what you speak, poisoning system i am talking about is not a "debuff to gluttony" it was a "dirtnap to character" and it certainly would have made its way into a towns zerg stuffing session as originally designed.
Darwoth

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations