Watching Production Bonus

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Watching Production Bonus

Postby Wandering » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:33 am

Material or Proficiency gain for paying paying attention during bulk processing?

I'd say 90% of the angst I've gotten in forums to date is tied to cleaning or developing cloth. Why? When you have 150Kg of cloth in inventory that takes a fair amount of time to clean and a lesser but just as odius time to develop.

What else to do but surf forums in the mean time?... It's not like I hate to pay attention!.

Why all have 'chores' that are time intensive... where we tend to tune away from the game and do other stuff while we wait for it to finish.

I'm suggesting a bonus for paying attention. I can't say how it's implemented or what the bonus should be. It should be significant. Tempting me to add 1-2 T/N is hard when I produced 16 T/N inspirations, etc along the way. etc. You need to do better than that- Dev.

No we need a substantial jump to proficiency or profit for watching production closely.

Passive certs was great addition... maybe something that extends to other profs that requires constant, random checks to add to their other profs.

IE- sifting rubble for MM or AC.. but you have to get rid of something and or learn it when it appears, etc...
Vs- Mining, I can't think of anything else more labor intensive that sifting and there's no passive for it but it's just as odius and clearning cloth, etc.

Anyone esle?
Last edited by Wandering on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wandering

Re: Watching Production Bonus

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:37 am

I'm completely ok with adding steps for more 'active' play in the crafting process. But I would need a solid suggestion on how to implement something of this nature that cannot be easily botted and automated away.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Shrapnel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:40 am

JohnCarver wrote:... cannot be easily botted and automated away.

That also doesnt punish normal players.. that is an extremely important point to remember.
Shrapnel
Customer

Postby Goodman12 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:25 am

JohnCarver wrote:I'm completely ok with adding steps for more 'active' play in the crafting process. But I would need a solid suggestion on how to implement something of this nature that cannot be easily botted and automated away.

For an idea such as this I would implement a rare inspirational drop but the difference is that these inspirational are dropped on the ground and their despawn time are shorten(e.g When turning cotton to cotton cloth the item drops on the ground but despawns in the time it takes to make 2-3 cotton clothes) this keeps the player actively watching for the inspirational if they want it. The inspirational should be really good but it should be a rare drop which again makes the player pay attention.
This should be for things like baking,cotton cleaning/cotton cloth crafting etc. Not for stuff like planting fields which require you to click each field.
Riolic wrote:The only reason raids still happen is because Goodman is a stubborn *******.
The rest are just vets pk'ing newbs
Goodman12

Postby Shrapnel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:06 am

Goodman12 wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:I'm completely ok with adding steps for more 'active' play in the crafting process. But I would need a solid suggestion on how to implement something of this nature that cannot be easily botted and automated away.

For an idea such as this I would implement a rare inspirational drop but the difference is that these inspirational are dropped on the ground and their despawn time are shorten(e.g When turning cotton to cotton cloth the item drops on the ground but despawns in the time it takes to make 2-3 cotton clothes) this keeps the player actively watching for the inspirational if they want it. The inspirational should be really good but it should be a rare drop which again makes the player pay attention.
This should be for things like baking,cotton cleaning/cotton cloth crafting etc. Not for stuff like planting fields which require you to click each field.

Hmm.. this is actually a decent idea. Its kinda like how the Cross-Shaped Wood Splinter drop works, only slightly less rare and drops on the ground instead of popping into your inventory.
The mechanic for it dropping on the ground is there in the form of Wood Choppings from a whittlers/carpenters bench.

+1
Shrapnel
Customer

Postby Chrumps » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:59 am

Yeah, and then someone writes a bot like:
IF something glimmering in inventory THEN
right click and study
Repeat every 1 second

Bots are better in recognizing fine details than live player so complicating the thing would rather punish usual players than bot users

OTOH I recall extra strings laying around the loom after I made a batch of silk. That actually is a good idea, but already is in game.
Chrumps

Postby Taipion » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:48 pm

Chrumps wrote:Bots are better in recognizing fine details than live player so complicating the thing would rather punish usual players than bot users
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Goodman12 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Chrumps wrote:Yeah, and then someone writes a bot like
IF something glimmering in inventory THEN
right click and study
Repeat every 1 second

What does a bot clicking study to an item in the inventory have to do with inspirational dropping on the ground? Besides, bots are not allowed

Chrumps wrote:OTOH I recall extra strings laying around the loom after I made a batch of silk. That actually is a good idea, but already is in game.

Yes, I know that item drop etc when doing certain task in-game but I'm pretty sure their despawn time is not 5-10 seconds
Riolic wrote:The only reason raids still happen is because Goodman is a stubborn *******.
The rest are just vets pk'ing newbs
Goodman12

Postby Chrumps » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:48 pm

Spawning items usually makes a sound because it is cool. It is enough to wake-up someone reading forums.
Even if there is no sound it is easy to write a plugin which would play a sound if something new appears on the scene. In fact: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10566&p=164015#p164015. Such kind of extension is undetectable.
Writing a bot which picks something from the ground is not much harder than clicking something in the inventory. See pickup plugin.
Short despawn time will make it hard for people experiencing lag, but not necessarily for bots nor for people reading internet with hand on the mouse.
JC statement about bots can be found here. Fair enough for me.
The most difficult thing to bot against is probably spawning a mob, like a salamander, but again, it is easy to place the loom in a designated house (or in an unmined mine level or in a narrow blocked tunnel) without obstacles other than the loom itself thus making easy to catch said mob.

Summarizing: I do not see how to make it more profitable for someone watching percents growing up over someone reading forums on the second screen because reaction time difference is comparable to lag delays.
Chrumps

Return to Ideas & Innovations