Wig-Making and Dyeing

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Wig-Making and Dyeing

Postby Onasaki » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:29 pm

What if we had a wig-making skill?

I'm not quite sure where it would fit into the tree, probably something in one of the clothing trees. But, my idea is basically, give us access to a group of items that are worn on the hat slot. That changes our hairstyle. I'm not sure how you'd work that for hats to sit atop the hair items, but then I'm not quite sure how the code exactly works for this game anyway. It'd give us, maybe, a secondary use for scalps, and the ability to pluck hairs from animal skins.

Another idea I had, was perhaps, dye-working. Using berries, and such to create dyes for clothing. It'd fit into the sewing/clothing-making tree, and I'm actually surprised it wasn't already included in the game. It'd fit with the wig-making skill, because then we could dye the wigs whatever color. I'd limit the amount of colors people would have ready access too, though. Prevent a lot of neon green, and purple-haired characters from existing.
Onasaki

Re: Wig-Making and Dyeing

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:47 am

I believe we actually have a wig item in game somewhere that goes in the hat slot. It would be very rare by now though since it was only distributed during the Halloween event when we released witchcraft. Am I right in thinking that was two years ago now? :shock: If we did have craftable wigs, they would be something you wear in place of the hat slot, you wouldn't have both.

I'm not sure about the historical accuracy of dying your hair, I think the majority of wigs were powder white with a few being more natural colors. I know the game isn't always historically accurate, but we do try to keep too many anachronisms from creeping in and we make a conscious effort to avoid anything like the cartoonish anime type style that seems to predominate in MMOs these days.

So, I appreciate the attempt, but I don't think this idea is going to be for Salem.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Onasaki » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:54 am

Oh! You misunderstand! I wasn't talking about straight up just dying hair!

No no no, I meant actual dyeworking for mainly clothes. And make it an optional thing to dye wigs, if making wigs were a thing. Sorry for the confusion there.
Onasaki

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:32 am

Onasaki wrote:Oh! You misunderstand! I wasn't talking about straight up just dying hair!

No no no, I meant actual dyeworking for mainly clothes. And make it an optional thing to dye wigs, if making wigs were a thing. Sorry for the confusion there.

Clothes dying isn't a bad concept, but we don't have the code in place for it so I'm not sure if this would be a relatively easy change or a very complex one. I'd have to ask John about it. I do know it would be a lot of reskins and new icons.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Return to Ideas & Innovations