Repairing walls is too expensive

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Repairing walls is too expensive

Postby Chrumps » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:12 am

I do not like the high costs of wall repair.
TotalyMeow wrote:after 5 hours of grueling work.

I do not like this either.

This kind of system takes away fun from both defender and attacker. The core issue here is the fact these two people may not ever log in at the same time because of timezones. The reason to require long wall breaking times is to give defender a chance to react, but as a result this approach adds only more grind.

I think the solution is to go towards correspondence chess game pace so the defender has 24 hours time to react and the attacker has another 24 hours for counter move, without forcing anyone to stay online through this time. This will further move away the siege focus from character vs character to structure vs structure.

As a stop-gap measure I am proposing a new kind of waste claim which would both increase costs of wall repairs and reduce wall breaking time:
- partial increase of repair costs after 6 hours
- max increase of repair costs after 12 hours
- reduction of wall breaking time by half (maybe just soak reduction by half) after 24 hours
- further reduction of wall breaking time after 48 hours

Any walls protecting the waste claim are subject to the same mechanics.
Chrumps

Postby Forungi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:46 am

If it's hard to break a wall, it should also be hard to repair that wall.

And let's be real here, why repair when you can just build more walls or make sure that you are actively defending when someone is trying to break into your base.
Forungi

Postby Chrumps » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:50 am

The idea is to remove unnecessary grind when no one is attacking and give the attacker means to dramatically increase repair costs when it is needed.

Also how two people who have normal lives and log on for 2h a day, separated by 12h time zone difference can still have a PvP duel ?
Chrumps

Postby JohnSnow » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:04 am

Chrumps wrote:The idea is to remove unnecessary grind when no one is attacking and give the attacker means to dramatically increase repair costs when it is needed.

Any ideas why your walls are damaged when no one attack you?
All Hail the Snake-King!
JohnSnow

Postby Chrumps » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:21 am

What are you talking about ?
Get a claim. Unclaimed walls decay and "they are not even technically yours" as has been pointed out multiple times.
Chrumps

Postby JohnSnow » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:29 am

Chrumps wrote:What are you talking about ?
Get a claim. Unclaimed walls decay and "they are not even technically yours" as has been pointed out multiple times.

Why did you leave your walls without a claim? Under normal conditions (ie, when they on personal or town claim) walls do not take damage, and therefore you do not care how much it cost to repair.
All Hail the Snake-King!
JohnSnow

Postby Chrumps » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:52 am

JohnSnow wrote:Why did you leave your walls without a claim? Under normal conditions (ie, when they on personal or town claim) walls do not take damage, and therefore you do not care how much it cost to repair.

I do not understand why you think my walls get damaged. I did not write that. I do not leave my walls without a claim unless I do have a reason.
Consider someone redesigning his walls. Splash mechanics causes some walls to be damaged.
Chrumps

Postby hitori » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:30 am

SalemUtopia wrote:That has nothing to do with my situation. I am not a raider, nor am I being attacked by a raider.
I don't need to consider that. My perspective has already been made clear. I am a new settler and I have a huge problem with this.
- Some of the mechanics involved are obviously connected, but that is not my fault and should not be my problem because I am not a raider, nor was I attacked by a raider. I'm just trying to make use of a base that I found. It's a fault in the game if it can't tell the difference and adjust/balance the cost correctly based on the situation.

First of all, as a new player you are NOT supposed to take over some abandoned bases (and especially large ones)
hitori

Postby Nsuidara » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:01 am

I can only attach themselves to such things
it is big slow for destroy one piece wall... if this piece in my pclaim, need made more more fast destroy for if player own thinks..
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby lachlaan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:34 am

It is indeed faster for walls to be destroyed on a pclaim by the pclaim owner.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations