Repairing walls is too expensive

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Repairing walls is too expensive

Postby DarkNacht » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:27 pm

People are not taking you seriously because this has come up many times before and you are looking at it from a very limited point of view, you would know this if you preformed a basic forum search before posting.
The amount of work to repair the damage done by a raider needs to be balanced against the work and risk taken by the raider to do that damage.
The options to do this are to make walls easy to repair and easy for raiders to destroy or to make them hard to repair and hard for raiders to destroy.
So you are advocating turning walls into tissue paper. Is that really what you want?
DarkNacht

Postby Dallane » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:27 pm

SalemUtopia wrote:Whatever. Jerks.

Grats on losing the argument

SalemUtopia wrote:As, I already said in the reply above, your replies are not constructive.
It's the same old and typical answer from a veteran player, who is fine with the game being unbalanced and hard. He wants it to stay that way because he spent a lot of time in it and doesn't really want anything to be made easier, even if it's better for some players.

I don't care that things get easier. Thats great. However you not understanding why things are the way they are is a problem.

SalemUtopia wrote:I think the developers actually want this kind of feedback. From players that experience this issue and not from players who sit with 100% walls and probably didn't repair more than 3-15 walls because of an occasional raider attack.

Actually if you had done your research before posting you would of saw what the devs have said on the subject. It takes a long time to tear down a wall and it should take awhile to repair those walls. Being on the defensive you will have 100x more advantage that any character in game. There has to be a balance.

It's absolutely hilarious that you are being a ***** because you skipped progression. I don't know how large this place is but if you skipped right into plank walls then you are more than likely in a MUCH large place then you should be as a new player. Do your research on topics before you post and stop being lazy in game.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby RainbowMoostache » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm

From my experience, granite is awfully common in the Crag biome, info of it can be viewed here: http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Crag

If you learn Granite Excavation you'll have a chance to pull out a boulder when digging on a stone quarry. You'll have a much bigger chance if your M&M proficiency is higher. Correct me if I'm wrong, old timer brain here.

It usually isn't expensive when you have an abundance of something, so as long as you have the requirements to get said things more easily, you should not have any problem with getting granite. It's actually easier than most think, and the repair price is a bargain if you put to mind about how difficult it is to break them.

Things are not really ment to be simple and too easy, infact the ones who raid and fail in the process of doing so suffer the most than the guy who has to gather up craptons of granite for repairs.
RainbowMoostache

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:20 am

Okay, there have been dozens of threads on this question, but I'll explain it again. Back a long time ago, a wall could be destroyed in a few minutes, even a few seconds, by larger players. They could tear through a stone wall like tissue and most people didn't like losing their entire base that they had worked for months or sometimes years on in a matter of hours. It happened.

So, mechanics were changed in such a way that walls became much, much more difficult to destroy. A raider can now spend hours trying to break into a base with only one stone wall and some decent brazier coverage. Now, if a raider spends hours trying to break down a wall, only to have the owner log in and repair it with a single piece of granite, that's not very fair. Sure, we don't want the player to lose his base too easily, we want him to have a chance to defend it, but on the other hand, we've made raiding so damn difficult that very few want to do it as it is. Having an active defender being able to wipe out all that effort so very easily is just too much. So, repairing walls is still possible for the defender, but it takes a lot of materials, to make the effort of defense more closely match the effort of breaking in.

This does create an issue that if you try to move into an abandoned base who's walls have been damaged, you'll either have to put in extra work to repair them, or destroy and replace, or live with bad walls, but since a big part of Salem is meant to be the building of your own base, we're okay with taking one over needing extra work.

We do intend to make some changes to crime, combat, and probably raiding, in the future, and those changes might alter wall repair, but until then, you'll just have to choose between the options above.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby SalemUtopia » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:15 am

JohnSnow wrote:Just count amount of materials required for repairs. If this amount is more than you need for construction of a new fence, break it and build anew.

It also takes an incredible amount of time to destroy so many walls.

DarkNacht wrote:People are not taking you seriously because this has come up many times before and you are looking at it from a very limited point of view, you would know this if you preformed a basic forum search before posting.
The amount of work to repair the damage done by a raider needs to be balanced against the work and risk taken by the raider to do that damage.
The options to do this are to make walls easy to repair and easy for raiders to destroy or to make them hard to repair and hard for raiders to destroy.
So you are advocating turning walls into tissue paper. Is that really what you want?

That has nothing to do with my situation. I am not a raider, nor am I being attacked by a raider.
I don't need to consider that. My perspective has already been made clear. I am a new settler and I have a huge problem with this.
- Some of the mechanics involved are obviously connected, but that is not my fault and should not be my problem because I am not a raider, nor was I attacked by a raider. I'm just trying to make use of a base that I found. It's a fault in the game if it can't tell the difference and adjust/balance the cost correctly based on the situation.

TotalyMeow wrote:This does create an issue that if you try to move into an abandoned base who's walls have been damaged, you'll either have to put in extra work to repair them, or destroy and replace, or live with bad walls, but since a big part of Salem is meant to be the building of your own base, we're okay with taking one over needing extra work.

We do intend to make some changes to crime, combat, and probably raiding, in the future, and those changes might alter wall repair, but until then, you'll just have to choose between the options above.

Alright, thank you for acknowledging my issue and giving a bit of an explanation.

It also sounds like you want to do something about it, but you just haven't been able to yet.
SalemUtopia

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:44 am

When i find sadness creeping in on my cheerfull self, i like to imagine JC and Marp staying in a dark, sweaty room and just codding and codding. There is not talk among them, just a bottle of water and some LSD pills laying on the tabble...
And when ever they feel the inspiration runing out they just pop another pill and continue work on their offspring.
GLORY TO SALEM.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby DarkNacht » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:09 am

They don't need pills, if the water is laced with it.
DarkNacht

Postby TotalyMeow » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:50 am

SalemUtopia wrote:It also takes an incredible amount of time to destroy so many walls.

Not really. The owner of a pclaim can destroy with no soak, so as long as your humors are decent and you have tea or something, you should be able to knock down one segment without a lot of trouble and it will damage or destroy those next to it, maybe even forming a cascade of destruction if they're all damaged.

SalemUtopia wrote:Alright, thank you for acknowledging my issue and giving a bit of an explanation.

It also sounds like you want to do something about it, but you just haven't been able to yet.

I'm actually fine with how it is, I just don't much like the lack of symmetry and the complaints from people who have no clue what it would mean for them if we were to change it back.

I preferred the old days when a single strong raider could break into almost anything. I remember one day going along against a full coverage and, I think, a double layer stone wall back when plank was the strongest wall, and breaking in after 5 hours of grueling work. There wasn't a lot of nice stuff in there, but I knew who's base it was and wanted to destroy it. But those mechanics weren't very fair. If I'd had any friends with me, I'd have been in in less than an hour.

If we were to reduce the repair costs of walls back to being equal to the build costs, then with mechanics the way they are, we'd have to also reduce the soak and HP of walls to compensate. It's just not worth it to satisfy a few newbies who decided to squat in other people's abandoned bases. Especially when not building it yourself tends to make you get bored fast and quit. I say it's possible that repair costs will change with a new system, but it's not something we're going to make a priority.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Heffernan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:19 am

just throwing it in here has anyone noticed how a Brickwall takes 600 bricks to repair? isnt that a bit abundant much?
Heffernan

Postby Forungi » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:58 am

Heffernan wrote:just throwing it in here has anyone noticed how a Brickwall takes 600 bricks to repair? isnt that a bit abundant much?

You claim to have built such a huge base, and so good defences that this amount should hardly be a problem for you.
Forungi

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations