What discourages new players

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: What discourages new players

Postby Champie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:20 pm

Dallane wrote:
Saugglocke wrote:movement is a pain in the ass, and just because you get used to it doesn't mean it's good.

Actually it means that the system is fine.

Not only is it fine, I'd say that it works very well. It is consistent and predictable except for a few situations. Crowberry bushes are irregular relative to other bushes, ore boulders can be a bit of a challenge at times, wooden box's rotation is off center, and generally square hit boxes on non-square things can cause some frustration. None of these things rise to the level of frustration to cause a new player to quit.

I especially appreciate that all things have precise clickable areas based on texture masks. That means shelltraps can be a hassle trying to click on, but they act like every other object/item that allows you to do things like picking up a spawned item through a tree because there is a slight opening for you to click through.
Champie

Postby Saugglocke » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:11 am

Movement is fine, I'm using Latikais client... :lol:

Just listen to some new players, I know it'll get a non issue later, because you adapt... still moving the camera like a crazy one is not natural. But you only got the first impression and the tutorial is already a nightmare.

Making objects behind the player semi transparent is a nice solution in my opinion, without altering anything in movement per se.
Saugglocke

Postby Dallane » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Saugglocke wrote:Movement is fine, I'm using Latikais client... :lol:

Just listen to some new players, I know it'll get a non issue later, because you adapt... still moving the camera like a crazy one is not natural. But you only got the first impression and the tutorial is already a nightmare.

Making objects behind the player semi transparent is a nice solution in my opinion, without altering anything in movement per se.

So you admit that movement is fine.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Saugglocke » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:33 pm

Nope, it was more a referral to all the people using the direction indicator...

@Dallane: I'm pretty sure you don't want to get my point. The technical implementation of movement is fine, being not able to pass certain objects is fine and having to manoeuvre around those objects is fine. As it is a concept of the game, but that's not what makes movement a pain in the ass in my opinion.

It does not feel intuitive. As you constantly have to adjust the camera. Hence the suggestion to make objects behind the character semi transparent. So basically you're always seeing what's going on. It doesn't affect the current implementation at all and would stop the frustration in the beginning.

Anyways, it's up to the devs.

Best regards
Saugglocke

Postby Dallane » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Saugglocke wrote:Anyways, it's up to the devs.

They already agreed with you that nothing is wrong with the system.

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:10 pm

I wouldn't object to making objects in front of the player semi-transparent, but I don't know what it would take to code something like that. I'll see what John thinks about it next time we get to talk.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Champie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:43 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:I wouldn't object to making objects in front of the player semi-transparent, but I don't know what it would take to code something like that. I'll see what John thinks about it next time we get to talk.

Is there even a single game that offers both foreground object fading/transparency AND a rotating camera? If so, could someone tell me so I can evaluate the value for myself. Thanks.
Champie

Postby lachlaan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:51 pm

Since the game supposedly figures out what you clicked on via the base color stuff is drawn in, wouldn't drawing a background through a foreground kind of mess that up in some spots?
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Champie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:13 am

Saugglocke wrote:It does not feel intuitive. As you constantly have to adjust the camera. Hence the suggestion to make objects behind the character semi transparent. So basically you're always seeing what's going on. It doesn't affect the current implementation at all and would stop the frustration in the beginning.

This is a load of **** for the following reasons:

First, unless you've only played Diablo your entire life, rotating the camera is pretty ***** standard. There is nothing non-intuitive about it. I think we should have all learned by the time we were 12 months old that things behind other things still exist even if we don't see them, and all we have to do it look around the blocking object to prove it. Are you under 12 months old? If so, you are excused.

Second, I haven't seen you discuss how the current implementation actually works, so I am unwilling to believe that you are certain what will and what will not affect the current implementation. It seems you lack some basic cognitive skills to even appreciate the current implementation much less make suggestions on how to change it without interfering with it.

If I seem harsh, it is because Dallane has gone soft in the forums in recent weeks and I feel the need to cover in his absence.
Champie

Postby Dallane » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:19 am

Champie wrote:If I seem harsh, it is because Dallane has gone soft in the forums in recent weeks and I feel the need to cover in his absence.

I have to post like a wave in the ocean. I post my opinion at the peak and cry babies cry till the Dalnami settles and I kick it back up.

Really tho it's very tiring to read abd post the same thing in ideas nonstop.

Sometimes I just stare at the search button for hours wondering if it should be bold, highlighted or flashing.

Dallane

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations