Explorer rankings

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Explorer rankings

Postby lachlaan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:32 pm

There are a lot of top 10 rankings in Salem already, and as I was wandering the wilderness last night I thought to myself that it'd be cool to have a ranking for explorers as well. What I propose is ranking with two levels, one level being the all-time top ten players with the most exploration events found/harvested/triggered as far as the server knows, but I guess the person that triggers it should get it regardless of having found it.

The second level would be last season's top10 explorers with a similar count except limited to last season. The seasonal ranking would reset each week, and while the all-time ranking would be hard to implement rewards for (unless you re-check it every 6 months or so and throw something at the winner), the weekly one could easily have some simple reward to incentivize going out even more.

What I suggest for the seasonal rankings is a reward for the best explorer in the form of a [insert creative item name here] that basically rolls a random type of exploration event and then points to the nearest one, locking onto that one once it's been used. I feel like one of these items existing once per season isn't too game breaking. The other reward would be a bit more trollsy, for the last classified in the rankings. The 10th person would get "Compassionate Compass" which, out of pity, points the user of the compass to again, a random type of event, then checks for the farthest one of that type from the location it was used in, and also has a 10-20% chance to just point to nothing >.>

The first item could be something like an indian buffalo skin with some native folklore that the explorer quickly understands is really an exploration event. For flavor you could even make a few variations of scrolls that open up like a book UI while also pointing to the event.

"This is the tale of the mighty brave Runs with Caterpillars , as he takes his journey towards adulthood and communes with the great spirit of the giant eagle! The elders tell that ......." (the scroll is sadly smeared with buffalo poop, but luckily you can read the rudimentary map at the bottom pointing to the location in the tale)
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Re: Explorer rankings

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:16 pm

Horrible idea, so unbalanced .
-∞for idea.
Jk, its a nice idea. Explorer ranking seems a good addition to the game.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Heffernan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:38 pm

how about also a "Criminal Ranking" list that only counts for stuff like Silver Forging, Poisoncraft and Witchcraft?
Heffernan

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Might be nice.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby gorniksam » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Heffernan wrote:how about also a "Criminal Ranking" list that only counts for stuff like Silver Forging, Poisoncraft and Witchcraft?

What about "Counter Death Ranking" ? The 1# can get a brain
gorniksam

Postby Darwoth » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:13 pm

a weekly leaderboard is retarded, just a way for those that cant get on a board a watered down version to try for. an exploration board would be a lot more interesting if it was based off of distance travelled or something other than random exploration events
Darwoth

Postby AngelOfSilence » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:45 pm

Darwoth wrote:a weekly leaderboard is retarded, just a way for those that cant get on a board a watered down version to try for. an exploration board would be a lot more interesting if it was based off of distance travelled or something other than random exploration events

way too easy to bot
Salem Wiki
Marketplace APP
BEST SHOOP IN THE GAME BUY ALL
Heffernan wrote: just sucks i forgot to raise yellow bile and cant loot anything hahaha sucks to be me..
AngelOfSilence

Postby Rifmaster » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:39 pm

AngelOfSilence wrote:
Darwoth wrote:a weekly leaderboard is retarded, just a way for those that cant get on a board a watered down version to try for. an exploration board would be a lot more interesting if it was based off of distance travelled or something other than random exploration events

way too easy to bot

Indeed.

I personally think they should add alcohol beverages and see who can drink the most without passing out, and put that on a leaderboard.
Rifmaster

Postby Darwoth » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:42 pm

not really, it would simply need to be made so that you could not reuse the same coordinates and run laps around your town. personally i dont think there needs to be a leaderboard for everything in the game but only for the things that are at the higher end of competition. derping around on a cricket is not something that is worthy imo.
Darwoth

Postby Rifmaster » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:43 pm

Darwoth wrote:not really, it would simply need to be made so that you could not reuse the same coordinates and run laps around your town. personally i dont think there needs to be a leaderboard for everything in the game but only for the things that are at the higher end of competition. derping around on a cricket is not something that is worthy imo.

Considering there's a fishing leaderboard, that pretty much tells you that leaderboards or prolly not gonna be only for the higher end players.
Rifmaster

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations