Explorer rankings

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Explorer rankings

Postby lachlaan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:48 pm

I did indeed think about travel distance, but yeah it's way too easy to bot if anyone would ever care about that. I'd still be on board for something like that to be honest, and it would end up including raider trips to and from bases. As for the weekly thing catering to noobs, it's meant to do just that. If providence does run forever as it's intended to do, then someone joining 5 years from now will basically miss out entirely on that feature, and just like with the feasting leaderboard the reward might end up being pretty lackluster for trying to catch up to someone with 5 years of advantage. In terms of feasting , at least it's doable by overshooting a crazy amount and buying the purest food ever of the best kind ever. The reward had better be worth the effort though ,or else people will not really care about getting a billion feasting score for a cookie, nor will they want to travel in a year as much as the top 1 explorer in 5. Give the weekly ranking no reward if that needs to be a thing, but it helps keep newbies interested one way or another instead of just excluding them from a lot of types of content. Consider the fact that distance covered is not a curve, it's linear, so not as easy to catch up as it would be with humours or other such things. It's a simple matter of brute-forcing it and past a certain point that gets too tedious and unfeasible.

And in term of it being worthy of existing, it's just a question of how many side-activities we want to give people to ward off boredom. As it stands exploration events aren't worth the time on their own, and get repetitive after a certain point. (I've been unlucky enough to bump into a good 30-40 caravans, to the point where despite their worth I just go "ughhh another one" )
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Darwoth » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:59 am

Rifmaster wrote:
Darwoth wrote:not really, it would simply need to be made so that you could not reuse the same coordinates and run laps around your town. personally i dont think there needs to be a leaderboard for everything in the game but only for the things that are at the higher end of competition. derping around on a cricket is not something that is worthy imo.

Considering there's a fishing leaderboard, that pretty much tells you that leaderboards or prolly not gonna be only for the higher end players.

i was against the fishing leaderboard until learning that it has larger ambitions
Darwoth

Postby Darwoth » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:06 am

lachlaan wrote:I did indeed think about travel distance, but yeah it's way too easy to bot if anyone would ever care about that. I'd still be on board for something like that to be honest, and it would end up including raider trips to and from bases. As for the weekly thing catering to noobs, it's meant to do just that. If providence does run forever as it's intended to do, then someone joining 5 years from now will basically miss out entirely on that feature, and just like with the feasting leaderboard the reward might end up being pretty lackluster for trying to catch up to someone with 5 years of advantage. In terms of feasting , at least it's doable by overshooting a crazy amount and buying the purest food ever of the best kind ever. The reward had better be worth the effort though ,or else people will not really care about getting a billion feasting score for a cookie, nor will they want to travel in a year as much as the top 1 explorer in 5. Give the weekly ranking no reward if that needs to be a thing, but it helps keep newbies interested one way or another instead of just excluding them from a lot of types of content. Consider the fact that distance covered is not a curve, it's linear, so not as easy to catch up as it would be with humours or other such things. It's a simple matter of brute-forcing it and past a certain point that gets too tedious and unfeasible.

And in term of it being worthy of existing, it's just a question of how many side-activities we want to give people to ward off boredom. As it stands exploration events aren't worth the time on their own, and get repetitive after a certain point. (I've been unlucky enough to bump into a good 30-40 caravans, to the point where despite their worth I just go "ughhh another one" )

the reward of the feasting leaderboard (and most boards for that matter) is for propaganda purposes to flex your muscle to potential enemies, a weekly newb board of whatever category serves no purpose than putting some irrelevant players name on a "leaderboard" that is not even a leaderboard at all which in turn cheapens every other board even more than having 400 different boards for every conceivable activity.
Darwoth

Postby MaxPlanck » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:03 am

As long as crimson carp get recipes/uses added later on then I completely agree on the fishing leaderboards way of handling top players.

I could be wrong on the subject of it having no use since it could be witchcraft-related but I think having such a broad leaderboard to get witchcraft items would be silly.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby JohnSnow » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:10 am

It would be nice to have some leaderboards for new players, because main leaderboards closed for them in fact. Take for example a list of scalps. Today you should kill someone with 7000+ scalp to get mask. But at beginning of world, everyone got a full cupboard of exe masks, simply because it required 10 minutes to make and kill 500 point alt.
All Hail the Snake-King!
JohnSnow

Postby matan002 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:01 am

JohnSnow wrote:It would be nice to have some leaderboards for new players, because main leaderboards closed for them in fact. Take for example a list of scalps. Today you should kill someone with 7000+ scalp to get mask. But at beginning of world, everyone got a full cupboard of exe masks, simply because it required 10 minutes to make and kill 500 point alt.

It would be the same after a while though. When scores get higher and higher the effort required to get on the board gets higher. I think it was JC's intention for the masks to come in quite a big pile in the beginning and then when people already have tons of them they get more and more rare
Lachlaan wrote:The motherbats await a spanking, for the sake of fields.
matan002

Postby JohnSnow » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:48 am

matan002 wrote:It would be the same after a while though. When scores get higher and higher the effort required to get on the board gets higher. I think it was JC's intention for the masks to come in quite a big pile in the beginning and then when people already have tons of them they get more and more rare

How this should be related to principle of endless server? If you dont play when server starts you suck without exe masks. It would be ok if mask was just a cosmetic thing. But it is +100 to attack or defence, or +140 for feasting.
All Hail the Snake-King!
JohnSnow

Postby MaxPlanck » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:18 am

JohnSnow wrote:
matan002 wrote:It would be the same after a while though. When scores get higher and higher the effort required to get on the board gets higher. I think it was JC's intention for the masks to come in quite a big pile in the beginning and then when people already have tons of them they get more and more rare

How this should be related to principle of endless server? If you dont play when server starts you suck without exe masks. It would be ok if mask was just a cosmetic thing. But it is +100 to attack or defence, or +140 for feasting.

Making up numbers doesn't help your argument at all. Max +94 feasting, and around max +50 to 60 in one type of damage. (Without PopHams extra slottable add-on)
Executioners mask has the old style of slotting as well so trying to slot artifacts that don't have the matching proficiencies as the executioners mask makes it much more difficult to correctly slot everything.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby JohnSnow » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:01 pm

MaxPlanck wrote:Making up numbers doesn't help your argument at all. Max +94 feasting, and around max +50 to 60 in one type of damage. (Without PopHams extra slottable add-on)
Executioners mask has the old style of slotting as well so trying to slot artifacts that don't have the matching proficiencies as the executioners mask makes it much more difficult to correctly slot everything.

Dude, it is not about numbers, it's about fact that some players have cupboards full of masks, while others have not. Rewards for same achievements should always be same, it is the principle of fair competition. Someone got mask for 500 points scalp, and I cant get mask for 5000 points scalp. It would be nice add new leaderboards so new players also can get something.
All Hail the Snake-King!
JohnSnow

Postby Dallane » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:29 pm

JohnSnow wrote:Dude, it is not about numbers, it's about fact that some players have cupboards full of masks, while others have not. Rewards for same achievements should always be same, it is the principle of fair competition. Someone got mask for 500 points scalp, and I cant get mask for 5000 points scalp. It would be nice add new leaderboards so new players also can get something.

You do a lot of crying on here for things you don't think are fair. Go and do the work and earn something instead of looking for a hand out. Anyone can go out and get a mask if they wanted one.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations