The Crime system

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

The Crime system

Postby Rifmaster » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Since Meow thinks it's not a small idea, I'll move it here.
So basically, over time the game has been adjusted to suit carebears instead of raiders and tea raiding has been removed, the crime debuff was added, new even stronger walls, and it's just created a boring game.
Atm it's really only possible to raid either if you have a titan char or a lot of time on your hands.
The game dying this way. Sure Darwoth is gonna come back from poopham soon and that's gonna cause some drama, but what about people that dont have characters with thousands of biles?
I personally neither have a titan char nor a lot of time on my hands, which means I can't raid anything more than a stone hedge with a couple of torchposts. Like me, there are a lot of people that wanna be able to raid without having to grind their asses off for a couple of months.
The removing of tea raiding was just a plain dumb idea.

So, to turn this from a whine to a complaint, I propose a simple solution. Remove the crime debuff ENTIRELY, lower soak values of walls, and give braziers a shorter range.
What this would do, is enable raiders with lower biles to raid bases which would create more criminals which in turn creates more drama, and idk about you but I find drama the best thing about Salem. Lowering the range of braziers would nerf them helping with easier raiding, also it would also make torchposts a bit better.
Rifmaster

Re: The Crime system

Postby lachlaan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:20 pm

You should stick to suggesting the main goal of your idea than the actual way to implement said goal. JC already said he was struggling with the new high-soak system in that it pushes the entry humours needed to much higher than he'd like, and I think your goal and his main goal would be the same, allowing a 100 humour raider to do some damage as well, without also allowing a titan to go smack smack at a wall a few times and break it. So i'm sure when he reiterates the raiding mechanics he'll figure something out if he mainly knows the sentiment most raiders and non-raiders have about it. I personally really liked the way they handled idea-fishing when initially tampering with raiding, getting a feel for what people want and then deciding if it's good on his own, and implementing it how he thinks it'd be best, not how we think it'd be best.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Rifmaster » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Judging by what chief has done so far with the game, I wouldn't trust him to do anything on his own. So far the "deciding if it's good on his own" has created a terrible raiding system among other things like diseases which were completely unnecessary.
Rifmaster

Postby lachlaan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:31 pm

The overly safe providence was created to give people incentive to also play popham while not fearing for their bases on providence, and while it may be a bit too harsh, it was a learning experience and he's already said he'd fix the situation this year hopefully. As far as listening to the community word for word goes, Jorb used to do that and it didn't get us in any nicer position tbh. I prefer a dev that can also have his own opinion and understanding about a mechanic he needs input on. And when the time comes to rebalance it I am sure he'll take more into consideration than just "make raiding a bit easier again and let's see if it sticks". That'd be the summary of the few tweaks suggested. I'm sure he needs to do some fancy coding magic with the way soak works as well, and he needs to decide wether the status quo for expeditions vs permanent server stays the same. There's a lot of stuff that'll go into it, and that's why I think we're better off suggesting what we hope to achieve, not how we hope to achieve it. He also needs to have some semblance of the last word on a mechanic since the community as a whole is known to put its foot in its mouth when it comes to being on board with something and then bailing instantly after. I'd rather he consult only the hardcore raiders and maybe some of the more recent active defenders that got mowed down to decide on what needs doing than putting it to a general vote.

P.S. To address your actual post, and sorry if i derailed with my opinion on how feedback would be better given.

Lower brazier range means somewhat inactive bases with previously viable brazier placement would log on to a swiss cheez'd base. No crime debuff with lower soak would mean a higher character could just afk at someone's wall in the newly formed gaps between braziers and just get through it easily, even with the cap on max damage to structures being double soak. For the idea to be complete at least you'd need to consider wether you want just the time it takes to break stuff to take less , or wether the goal would be to let a newbie hit a wall without fear of dying horribly. You'd need brazier hits to scale with your humours so they don't get 1shot. You'd need HP to be increased if you want to keep the time it takes to raid somewhat high, as it'd already take a lot less without having to run off crime debuff.

Could you not sum it up as .. tiny basher spam good, brazier spam good, less downtime good, more drama good?
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Rifmaster » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:42 pm

lachlaan wrote:The overly safe providence was created to give people incentive to also play popham while not fearing for their bases on providence, and while it may be a bit too harsh, it was a learning experience and he's already said he'd fix the situation this year hopefully. As far as listening to the community word for word goes, Jorb used to do that and it didn't get us in any nicer position tbh. I prefer a dev that can also have his own opinion and understanding about a mechanic he needs input on. And when the time comes to rebalance it I am sure he'll take more into consideration than just "make raiding a bit easier again and let's see if it sticks". That'd be the summary of the few tweaks suggested. I'm sure he needs to do some fancy coding magic with the way soak works as well, and he needs to decide wether the status quo for expeditions vs permanent server stays the same. There's a lot of stuff that'll go into it, and that's why I think we're better off suggesting what we hope to achieve, not how we hope to achieve it. He also needs to have some semblance of the last word on a mechanic since the community as a whole is known to put its foot in its mouth when it comes to being on board with something and then bailing instantly after. I'd rather he consult only the hardcore raiders and maybe some of the more recent active defenders that got mowed down to decide on what needs doing than putting it to a general vote.

P.S. To address your actual post, and sorry if i derailed with my opinion on how feedback would be better given.

Lower brazier range means somewhat inactive bases with previously viable brazier placement would log on to a swiss cheez'd base. No crime debuff with lower soak would mean a higher character could just afk at someone's wall in the newly formed gaps between braziers and just get through it easily, even with the cap on max damage to structures being double soak. For the idea to be complete at least you'd need to consider wether you want just the time it takes to break stuff to take less , or wether the goal would be to let a newbie hit a wall without fear of dying horribly. You'd need brazier hits to scale with your humours so they don't get 1shot. You'd need HP to be increased if you want to keep the time it takes to raid somewhat high, as it'd already take a lot less without having to run off crime debuff.

Could you not sum it up as .. tiny basher spam good, brazier spam good, less downtime good, more drama good?

I'm sure you remember the time when braziers range was nerfed from being what the torchpost is now, to what the brazier is. A lot of bases were affected, and some were raided, but that doesn't matter 1 bit. It has always and should always be that it doesn't matter if it ***** anyone now, if it will mean good in the long term.
Also what were the recent active defenders that got mowed down? Were there any major raids in the last month or so? Pretty sure not.
Rifmaster

Postby Darwoth » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:16 pm

the pvp system is being worked on and will be improved, so far JC has liked almost all of my suggestions for how to balance raiding while still maintaining the defenders advantage and requiring a more active defense, general timeframes for a raid should be back in line with how they were prior to last christmas when it got all derped up so still quite significant but not obscene. no you will not be able to raid with your garbage 50 stat character and will never be able to as JC is pretty firmly entrenched in the notion that raiding is an end game mechanic for those actually risking something significant in order to in turn be able to put the investments of others at risk which is a view that i agree with, if you want to play at a competitive level than you have to be competitive.

also since you have never raided anything at all and are still at newb status (as evidenced by you ***** about disease :lol: :lol: :lol: ) in the game giving your opinion on raiding of all things is about as useless as it gets.

if you want to suck and still pretend like your a raider you can play on an expedition and use a cannon, they were specifically made for ****** players like you that need a new server every six months because you can not compete on the real one and quit when you fall behind the curve.

also this:

lachlaan wrote:and maybe some of the more recent active defenders that got mowed down

no, thats how it got ***** up the first time.
Darwoth

Postby Judaism » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:40 pm

Besides from investing a serious amount of time into building up characters by the means of tedious chores, I seriously like the thought of being able to progess by other means. Popham featured a great thing which was cannibalism, probaly way too OP for Providence but providing some sort progression along side the boring chores would be very interesting for some playstyles. Progression from blackskills in general, so witchcraft/raiding/murdering/etc. On top of that a pernament down payment or something could work to increase the speed of destruction or whatsoever, back to using expensive tools which cannot be unequiped for example and would cost over 100.000s or whatsoever. It comes down to sacrifices you could for example sacrifice a leg for a pernament (small) buff but it would make you alot less mobile for example. I am basicly looking for mechanics which would make raiding not necessary easier but simply a little bit suiting playstyles like mine. I have never been someone who liked to garden my pots and farm the fields, yet I could play this game for very long sessions.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Rifmaster » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:48 pm

Darwoth wrote:the pvp system is being worked on and will be improved, so far JC has liked almost all of my suggestions for how to balance raiding while still maintaining the defenders advantage and requiring a more active defense, general timeframes for a raid should be back in line with how they were prior to last christmas when it got all derped up so still quite significant but not obscene. no you will not be able to raid with your garbage 50 stat character and will never be able to as JC is pretty firmly entrenched in the notion that raiding is an end game mechanic for those actually risking something significant in order to in turn be able to put the investments of others at risk which is a view that i agree with, if you want to play at a competitive level than you have to be competitive.

also since you have never raided anything at all and are still at newb status (as evidenced by you ***** about disease :lol: :lol: :lol: ) in the game giving your opinion on raiding of all things is about as useless as it gets.

if you want to suck and still pretend like your a raider you can play on an expedition and use a cannon, they were specifically made for ****** players like you that need a new server every six months because you can not compete on the real one and quit when you fall behind the curve.

also this:

lachlaan wrote:and maybe some of the more recent active defenders that got mowed down

no, thats how it got ***** up the first time.

I didn't mean raiding with a 50 stat char and no i am not a raider, I have never broken anything more than a stone hedge. What I meant was that even a 200 bile character can't break a stone hedge guarder by a couple of braziers without spending 10 minutes twiddling his thumbs waiting for the crime debuff to run out because it's retarded. If you have nothing but insults to add please don't write anything, you seem very intent on insulting me after I slung some **** at America. How about instead of just saying "*****" and "QQ" you actually put some reason into what you write. Also I am not the only one that thinks disease was a completely unnecessary thing to add, it's not hard to deal with once you have a base, but it adds pretty much nothing to the game, makes new players that get diseased lose interest in the game and is just annoying.

I do not pretend like I am a raider, but I am very familiar with the mechanics of raiding and everyone knows that atm they're ***** up.

Also if you really think I quit when I fall behind the curve, you need to realise I've been behind the curve for as long as I have played and I haven't given up yet.
Rifmaster

Postby Darwoth » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Judaism wrote:Besides from investing a serious amount of time into building up characters by the means of tedious chores, I seriously like the thought of being able to progess by other means. Popham featured a great thing which was cannibalism, probaly way too OP for Providence but providing some sort progression along side the boring chores would be very interesting for some playstyles. Progression from blackskills in general, so witchcraft/raiding/murdering/etc. On top of that a pernament down payment or something could work to increase the speed of destruction or whatsoever, back to using expensive tools which cannot be unequiped for example and would cost over 100.000s or whatsoever. It comes down to sacrifices you could for example sacrifice a leg for a pernament (small) buff but it would make you alot less mobile for example. I am basicly looking for mechanics which would make raiding not necessary easier but simply a little bit suiting playstyles like mine. I have never been someone who liked to garden my pots and farm the fields, yet I could play this game for very long sessions.

already in the works. at the risk of sharing things that may or may not be put in at all according to the whims of JC my suggestion for dealing with the new high soak walls while still retaining their value/balance is the ability to weaken a wall quickly with some sort of up front investment, be it expensive tools, a bomb, arson type mechanic or whatever.

a ***** up wall would perform at abou half the strength of a normal wall so half hp/half soak. this means an undefended base would be able to be breached quickly (comparatively) by a competent force of raiders, yet even a crippled wall is strong enough that it can still be defended well to repel the attack with an active defense. (example would be a brick wall, a weakened brick wall would perform a little better than a plank wall does now until repaired)

this maintains the entry gate for raiders needing to be a significant investment with significant biles, allows active defenders to repel the attack, and allows a good group of raiders to have a chance at breaching a subpar active defense.

this is one of many things in the early stages of fleshing out.
Last edited by Darwoth on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darwoth

Postby Darwoth » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Rifmaster wrote:stuff

shut up claeyt

under the proposals i am making your newbie 200 stat character with the proper equipment will be able to get through the (stone hedge anyway) wall long enough to KO on the claim stealing **** and not watching your black bile np.

i doubt the crime debuff is going anywhere as it serves several functions to balance offense vs defense.
Darwoth

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations