Leather as weight

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Leather as weight

Postby Dexibii » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:27 pm

After my balls have finally dropped fully I realized that hunting deer is pretty easy as long as I hug them as I stab them brutally. I go home and realize I need to get leather for some attempts at blistersteel again so i decided to hunt some rabbits with a halberd. I live near a game rode and the deer are no longer a challenge but I only gain benefits from everything BUT their dried hide. In terms of leather the skin from 1 bunny is equal to the skin from 1 deer... I wanted to suggest that instead of liming all hides into a single type of lime hide, we get "Limed hide, made with deer", "Limed hide, made with rabbit" and etc. Then after they are done being processed they all get their respected weight in leather. Only thing I can't really specify is how much weight of leather should be obtained (I'm no hunter, I'm a suburban guy). As for that all i know can be an issue is how leather is also used in structures unless the weighted leather can turn into "sheets" or whatever they are properly called.

Feel free to say the idea sucks, I just want deer skin to be something worth getting.
Dexibii

Re: Leather as weight

Postby Taipion » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:34 pm

Dexibii wrote:After my balls have finally dropped fully I realized that hunting deer is pretty easy as long as I hug them as I stab them brutally. I go home and realize I need to get leather for some attempts at blistersteel again so i decided to hunt some rabbits with a halberd. I live near a game rode and the deer are no longer a challenge but I only gain benefits from everything BUT their dried hide. In terms of leather the skin from 1 bunny is equal to the skin from 1 deer... I wanted to suggest that instead of liming all hides into a single type of lime hide, we get "Limed hide, made with deer", "Limed hide, made with rabbit" and etc. Then after they are done being processed they all get their respected weight in leather. Only thing I can't really specify is how much weight of leather should be obtained (I'm no hunter, I'm a suburban guy). As for that all i know can be an issue is how leather is also used in structures unless the weighted leather can turn into "sheets" or whatever they are properly called.

Feel free to say the idea sucks, I just want deer skin to be something worth getting.

From what JC said, that would be a problematic, difficult way to "fix" it. (change it to a weight based item)
If at all, I'd go for a rightclick option on all those dried hides that says "prepare hide" or so that would yield 1 prepared hide per rabbit, maybe 3-5 per deer and 10-20 per bear, whereas the "lime hides" recipe would then take 3-5 prepared hides to make one limed hide.
But first you'd have to really figure out how much which animal should give, and then it's a lot of work for the devs for little result, I guess their time is spent better at other things.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby TotalyMeow » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:50 pm

The trouble is that rabbit is actually a lot better than it should be right now, while deer is more 'balanced' if you're comparing to real life. A real rabbit isn't better for much more than a glove, so trying to make a shirt out of one, you'd need a couple dozen. It's just not worth it to make it more realistic since we'd be putting a lot of work into just making leather clothing more difficult to make.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Dexibii » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:48 pm

ah understood, Ill stick to eating the deer and considering the deer hide a small benefit :D
Dexibii

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:10 pm

As pointed out I think the solution here would be to nerf rabbit hides. And I'm not exactly in a nerfing mood at the moment.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Heffernan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:18 pm

JohnCarver wrote:As pointed out I think the solution here would be to nerf rabbit hides. And I'm not exactly in a nerfing mood at the moment.

Heffernan

Postby reeper_aut » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:48 pm

topic has been up several times.

if deer hide is giving 1 leather, what do you do with bunny skins or snake skins?
reeper_aut

Postby MaxPlanck » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:54 pm

reeper_aut wrote:topic has been up several times.

if deer hide is giving 1 leather, what do you do with bunny skins or snake skins?

Leather scraps.
Don't forget that killing bunnies does not give brains though so you may be able to get bunny hides but you still need a different source of animal that gives brains.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Dexibii » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:23 am

the brain obtained by a deer is just as good as a beaver. Then again i learn near a source of water so I may see beaver more than the average person.. i also sell the hide from the beaver instead of turning it to leather. In all honestly hunting deer for me is just for the food and i guess its only different for those far away from water sources.
Dexibii

Postby Dexibii » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:48 am

TotalyMeow wrote:It's just not worth it to make it more realistic since we'd be putting a lot of work into just making leather clothing more difficult to make.

Just a side note, Leather is used in way more than just clothing. It's even used in the process of making the highest tiered metal, really useful structures and more.
Dexibii

Return to Ideas & Innovations