Pick All Nearby Option

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Pick All Nearby Option

Postby Dexibii » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:14 pm

I'm not sure if its just me being stupid but quite often I end up dying near an object and not become able to pick up what I want. Sometimes I'm fortunate and able to either lift up the boulder in the way or chop the tree, but in this situation I KO'ed first round with the bats and came back to kill them all. I was left with plenty of dead bats for fangs and disappointment staring directly at me. My Bucket of Tea wasn't within reach! I kept trying to right click it Over and Over and Over and all I could do was watch it till it despawns... Usually I love having moments where I lost something because i was being an idiot. But the fact that the bucket landed in an area out of my reach shouldn't be an issue when I was able to come back and retrieve it. I was wondering if adding a "Pick all Nearby" option can be placed somewhere such as adventure that way if something more valuable were to drop near an object that can't be removed/moved, then it can be lifted.

Think about the Tea!

Dexibii

Re: Pick All Nearby Option

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Think of it as rite of passage.
You are not a true Salemite as long as you have not lost 'important' items to obstacle collision.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Rifmaster » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:23 pm

ZoddAlmighty wrote:Think of it as rite of passage.
You are not a true Salemite as long as you have not lost 'important' items to obstacle collision.

Pretty much yeah.
It's a ****** thing but everyone just had to deal with it.
Rifmaster

Postby Taipion » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Rifmaster wrote:
ZoddAlmighty wrote:Think of it as rite of passage.

Pretty much yeah.
It's a ****** thing but everyone just had to deal with it.

I'ts still both pointless and makes the game look unfinished.

Both that things drop or even spawn where you can't pick them up, and the clumsy way how picking up things is right now.

An easy fix would be, to increase the range in that you can pick up objects from the ground, not even much, just a little.
To make this more clear, it should still be possible to block things with a character, so instead of having to be exactly on top of the item, having a pickup range of like 1/3 of a tiles lenght would do it.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Dexibii » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:50 pm

^^ Okay forget my idea, that right there is so much better than another button a new salem player would probably not recognize. Maybe like 1/2 a tile though just to be safe.
Dexibii

Postby Dallane » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Taipion wrote:An easy fix would be, to increase the range in that you can pick up objects from the ground, not even much, just a little.

So people can pick stuff up through walls?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Taipion » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:59 pm

Dexibii wrote:^^ Okay forget my idea, that right there is so much better than another button a new salem player would probably not recognize. Maybe like 1/2 a tile though just to be safe.

No, I am not sure how "big" a character is, but 1/2 tile would likely be too much, think of the devs dropping stuff in Providence and people would not be able to block it with their chars... :D
On the other hand, 1/3 tile would already mean it would be very unlikely that 2 or more jam up each other and no one is able to pick it up, but then again we have "push" now...
Not that any of these arguments is really relevant though.^^

Seriously, I'd say 1/3 tile is just fine, but none of us is deciding this, and chances that JC both notices this and and this he want's it for the game are rather tiny, so yea, nice idea, maybe next year or so, or never. :D

Dallane wrote:
Taipion wrote:An easy fix would be, to increase the range in that you can pick up objects from the ground, not even much, just a little.

I'd usually ignore your trolling attempts but in this case someone had to ask this at some point.
How big is a wall? how close can you get to it?
And how close could be something on the other side?
1/3 tile or less, go on, show me proof! ¦]
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Rifmaster » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Dallane wrote:

Um, they're saying 1/2 of a tile or 1/3 of a tile, just to be able to get things stuck underneath objects, you are purposefully acting dumb to make this good idea look bad.
Rifmaster

Postby Dexibii » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Dallane wrote:

Isn't a tile the square we see when doing landscaping? It doesn't seem like 1/2 a tile can really go THROUGH a wall... and what would even be through a wall that would cause an issue?
Dexibii

Postby Taipion » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Rifmaster wrote:
Dallane wrote:

Um, they're saying 1/2 of a tile or 1/3 of a tile, just to be able to get things stuck underneath objects, you are purposefully acting dumb to make this good idea look bad.

That's his far most favorite pasttime! :D

Not to think of, that this would only apply to stuff that someone dropped on the ground and pick-able objects like granite, herbs and such, comepletely invalid, but that's what he does all the time.
Taipion

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations