trawling nets

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

trawling nets

Postby saltmummy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:18 am

Something I was thinking about that maybe we could discuss is trawling nets. Trawling is the act of dragging a net or "trawl" at a specified depth through the water in order to catch large amounts of fish. I am not thinking huge catches of fish. I had two ways I thought this could work.

This first way I had in mind was this. two wooden handles, two ropes, and maybe four fiber nets makes you one trawl with the quality based on the average between all the nets. You take that trawl onto your row boat (not a canoe), cast it in like you would a fishing pole, and then drag it around. Whenever you wish, you can pull the trawl up and see what you got. Obviously the amount and type of catch would be based one where, when, and how long you trawled and certain fish are more difficult or impossible to catch with a trawling net. Size of the fish is based off flora and fauna AND the quality of the net. A crappy net won't be catching much of anything. The longer you go about it, the more catch you get but the longer you go about it, the more wear your trawl accumulates as well. If you trawl for too long, you might find your trawl breaking and you lose the whole catch.

The other way I thought about it was that you would trawl about for a bit until the net fills and floats to the surface, at which point you could pick through the net via a simple sort of minesweeper minigame where you clear away tiles to reveal your catch while also avoiding breaks which would increase the trawls wear and dangerous things which will end the minigame early or destroy part of the catch. The plus side to this version is that you get a fun minigame and the delight of discovery as you pick through the trawl.

Either way, I thought that maybe a broken trawl could be retrieved and repaired by clicking new nets onto it.

Ok, now pick it apart and discuss. Maybe (almost certainly) there is something I haven't thought through enough.
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
saltmummy

Re: trawling nets

Postby Taipion » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Still better than fishing! :D

Nice idea actually, especially the mini game part and the wear/repair to keep it balanced.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Return to Ideas & Innovations