Controls & Objects

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Controls & Objects

Postby Saugglocke » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:05 am

Hi,

not sure if it popped up already, but as I'm currently running around and collecting stuff from the wild as suggested in the guides. In my opinion two things are kind of unpleasant:

There are the crow feathers that can be picked up without using a menu. Which is inconsistent, but just awesome. Is it possible to have that for all items that have just the single option pick?

The plants and flowers are too small, sometimes I've to click five times till I've found the hitbox. Additionally you can hardly see them, which is also kind of a pitty in terms of atmosphere (sunflower and the red flower are fine), while mushrooms are kind of big in relation.

So I'm suggesting:
Bigger plants and flowers
No menu for items that have only one option

Best regards
Saugglocke

Re: Controls & Objects

Postby Kandarim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:16 am

the logic behind the flowermenu on things with only one option is that the action is non-reversible: if you pick up the crow feather and drop it again, nothing has changed really. But you cannot 'undo' picking a flower.
Typically, you want to be foraging using the radar (the icons on the minimap, which you can rightclick too for picking up) so that you don't miss anything. That makes everything easier to click, too.
The custom clients have some options for auto-choosing single-choice flowermenus, and for customizing the radar.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Saugglocke » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:52 am

I think I get your point. You're talking about gardening pots and co? Why would you care in the wilderness? Plus, it's still no accidental action as you're performing a right click?

I'm navigating with the minimap too, but isn't it kind of stupid if you've this whole world and just look at the tiny map? How about make them bigger and don't show items in the minimap at all?
Saugglocke

Postby Kandarim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:56 pm

The rightclick itself will probably not be an accident, but the location of your mouse might be.

That was the case previously (items not being shown on the minimap) and it didn't take long for someone (cough, the big boss Ender) to implement the radar in a custom client. It guarantees that you don't miss hard-to-see rare forageables (new world gourds in autumnal, for example). Even if all the items were large, I'd be foraging off the radar anyhow: it doesn't take long before you're only looking for a tiny fraction of all forageables and the odds of missing them because of bad visibility/objects occluding your view become too large.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Return to Ideas & Innovations