Gold Mine

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Gold Mine

Postby Frakked » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:32 am

Create a Gold Mine- that gives mostly gold ore or stone... nothing else... and make sure it can't proc around any existing fortification nor can any substantial fortification be built around it...

Put up an fixed structure that can be minimally improved (corners that are 3-4 spaces apart that can't be extended, etc).

Since Metal walls came out- everyone has been fortifying like mad; but that only creates complicated, extended fights over likely nothing (Junction City is prime example) by the time you sacrifice time and effort to get in... pickings are slim indeed.

How about a resource everyone wants... but nobody can really claim without trial by arms 24/7? Essentially a no scents zone...?

I'm imaginging an area (or several around the map) with scattered Ruins of a sort, with Mine's that have a chance to produce Gold with each Season (like the random events), but also with a chance to build additional Mine Entrances to find better?! Need to make Mine Entrances decay-able in this 'area'...

Bar portals within the area and no claims?!

Two Cents
Frakked

Re: Gold Mine

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:36 am

This is by no means a small idea, so I've moved it to it's own thread.

I think what we have for gold in mines right now is just fine. We purposely got away from having different mines do different ores.

We have special resources on the Popham map with the statues, are you wanting something similar to that?
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Frakked » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:46 am

TotalyMeow wrote:This is by no means a small idea, so I've moved it to it's own thread.

I think what we have for gold in mines right now is just fine. We purposely got away from having different mines do different ores.

We have special resources on the Popham map with the statues, are you wanting something similar to that?

The point was to move away from fortification and more toward competition to a resource that was rare and could not be 'owned' by any one person no matter what.

As it stands today, towns can be 'owned' somewhat... waterways can be crossed or created, etc.

All the improvements to date can be made defensive 100%... yet the game wants contention.

A rare, desirable resource that can't be contained or 'owned' should be a no brainer.

I suggested Gold... but surely there are others?!
Frakked

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:55 am

I suppose a modified town claim might be possible, though trying to exclude fortifications while allowing all other structures would probably require a new variable inserted into each an every structure that checks whether or not it can be built on this 'claim'. So, I don't know if that's a problem or not.

And I'm sure there are other things than gold which could be fought over. Maybe farmed goods. Maybe surface pits analogous to clay and lime. Because it would really have to be a new thing, not something you preempt from elsewhere. And you don't necessarily have to specify what that is if you don't have an idea, but the rest of it you'll need to be more specific.

For example, what's this "fixed structure that can be minimally improved"? Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

And a no scents zone? None at all, or just that it can't be claimed, or what?

And what are these ruins? Do they have some function or are they merely aesthetic?

And what do you mean by portals?

A framework would be nice here, some details. This seems like a major idea you might have, but you're not really making it very clear. You can't just say "I have a great idea for a house design made of wood!", chuck a felled tree at us, and expect us to figure out the rest. Or you can, but it's not likely to get into the game in the way you envisioned, if it does at all.

TotalyMeow

Postby Darwoth » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:44 am

if anything like this were ever put in it should simply be the addition of desireable resources in dream world which coincidentally is on my list of suggested pvp changes, it should certainly not come in the form of a "no scents zone" for retards to pretend like they are competing over something.
Darwoth

Postby Reviresco » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:17 am

I was inspired by this thread to compose a haiku:

Shizuka was killed

Many mocked 'til Frakked's return

Living envy dead
Reviresco

Postby DeepSixed » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:46 am

I was suggesting that broken walls/structures could be repaired (potentially funneling attacks and/or reducing points of defense); but you can't build any gates, etc.

Portals- no leanto or claim in the 'ruins' area. You have to travel somewhat to 'get away' with your loot.

Mine entrances seem to migrate with each season or so... I would encourage folks to build new Mine's... but the existing ones would need to 'go away' too.

Thanks,
DeepSixed

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:43 pm

We can't really do that with mines. That's why they are indestructible now.

I'm not understanding your walls comment. I thought you said no walls, no defenses. Now you're taking about repairing walls and structures. Are you suggesting that the special claim allows decay? Are you changing your mind about being able to build walls? I don't think that would work out so well since then someone would just build a complete wall around the 'resource' and then bash it when they want to leave. That strategy would exclude at least some people from having to be fought.

TotalyMeow

Postby Dallane » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Drunk posting at its finest.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Return to Ideas & Innovations