Remove This Abomination

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Remove This Abomination

Postby MarpTarpton » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:27 am

While I appreciate the suggestion, we won't be removing follow any time soon. Follow is not path finding, as has been stated. Follow is merely the constant update of direct location following the manual guidance by location of a target that is another player. It's no different that right clicking an item on the ground and walking toward it, except that the object can be in motion. This isn't pathfinding just like following isn't pathfinding. The kind of pathfinding we do not intend to put into the game is the kind that passively guides you around obstacles and boundaries, where the game implants AI into the motion of the player to make an educated guess on where the player wants to go. Another player guiding you is not passive - someone is doing the work and that makes it completely different than the game guiding you.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
MarpTarpton
Site Admin

Postby Silverfish » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:47 am

can we follow the wabbits pweezee? :3
Agnes Waterhouse - second-rate tailor, cooking for the pack of crazy foragers
Silverfish

Postby saltmummy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:27 am

Combat? lol. The only thing following is good for is getting an alt somewhere without having to constantly switch between windows, or allowing a friend to AFK without having them stand still while out foraging/exploring.
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
saltmummy

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:01 am

MaxPlanck wrote:Firstly, the person using follow command has their hands completely free to do whatever action it is to negate any retaliation from the person being followed if they were to turn around and attack. It is not easier for a person being followed to stop a follower.

I never said it was easy to stop them, I said it was easy to attack them without retaliation. This is something I practiced when I was raiding, sparing conditions in which one person is running and the other trying to follow either automatically or manually, and I can tell you two things from experience. The first is that autofollow on an unwilling target doesn't last long and usually isn't worth it except to try to psych them out or if they are trash at running away, like really trash at it. The second is that no, the person following really can't react in time to avoid getting punched or some such, let alone be able to counterattack. Combat moves are quicker than you realize and it's not so easy to switch focus from trying to keep up with someone to suddenly having an attack opportunity with no warning. Even worse if you were somehow managing to autofollow because it's easy to get drawn right to them.

Long range, the followed can sway the follower into obstacles better.
Mid range, the followed isn't worried about attacks from the follower but he can't stop the follower from following him easily.
Close range, the followed is ... probably not going to be followed using the follow command and the person pursuing is now trying to use leap at to stun from behind while moving with mouse clicks or keyboard.

Indeed, mid-range is the only time follow might work for a few seconds, but you can still shake them off at this distance.

Secondly, why should raiders get a free pass to follow each other around. Raiding is suppose to be an active thing, and if people want to use alts for various things and control them all on separate clients then that's THEIR FAULT and THEIR PROBLEM for trying to control multiple clients at once.

It's a problem we've given them ONE TOOL to help with. We don't mind if people want to play more than one character at a time, though I was actually referring more to a raider leading his buddies around while they afk or work on another character at base. Running on this huge map often takes a minimum of hours to get where you're going and there's no sense in everyone being bored before every raid, just one guy.

Bull **** on being against something for raiding, it has NOTHING to do with raiding and that is the most indirect statement of trying to wiggle the argument in that it actually does.

Autofollow is pretty much entirely for raiding in my opinion. It's the only time I've used it, one person leading a string of friends and maybe an alt out to a site, or leading them to and from while under debuff while everyone else chills.

Instead of complaining how follow should stay because of raiding, how about you fix raiding to supposedly accommodate for the loss of the follow command which does not even directly affect raiding at all.

Because we don't intend to remove autofollow and see no reason to. And we are planning to update raiding again.

MaxPlanck wrote:I don't even use the follow command.

Here I see a problem in that if you haven't tried using it in combat, you don't understand what I'm talking about and will just have to trust me, which I don't see you doing. Go get a friend and do a series of chase scene sparrings. Several, because you'll need to practice before you understand. And it'll help you in the long run as it's one of the most common PvP scenarios.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Lallaith » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:29 am

this idea is an abomination.
Lallaith

Postby Thor » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:34 am

Max just admit that this is not gonna happen, no big deal there is just no point ranting further.
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby Flame » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:27 pm

Actually i would read a single nice reason of why one should be able to auto follow an unknown chara that it's not in the party.

There are many ways to fight back the auto-follow, but it's not a reason to keep it. So Why should we keep it?
Flame

Postby Thor » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Flame wrote:Actually i would read a single nice reason of why one should be able to auto follow an unknown chara that it's not in the party.

There are many ways to fight back the auto-follow, but it's not a reason to keep it. So Why should we keep it?

BECAUSE! Stop asking ffs lol
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby saltmummy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:40 pm

Flame wrote:Actually i would read a single nice reason of why one should be able to auto follow an unknown chara that it's not in the party.

Because of that time you wanted to AFK outside one of the places we used to live near but I made you lock on to me with follow so you could go sort some things out irl without risking you getting mauled by another player.
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
saltmummy

Postby gorniksam » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Remove this topic of crying nabs which don't know how to fight cos this **** getting annoying plox
gorniksam

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations