Remove This Abomination

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Remove This Abomination

Postby MaxPlanck » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:17 pm

That is to say, the "Follow" command.

If I remember correctly, the Devs despise the use of autopathing or the creation of more autopathing.
[Albeit, follow is the simplest of autopathing]

P.S.
This is pointed at PvP and the implication that the follow command allows the one using it to catch up much easier than it is to run away because every time a player clicks to move for the task of maneuvering around obstacles it slows the character down in the slightest, even going in a straight line and running away the enemy will catch up as you still have to click again to move more. And don't bother trying to counter-argue with "just use the arrow keys to move" or "get better skreb and learn to move around trees so the player following has to stop using the command" . I'm just going to ignore those counter arguments because...

DOWN WITH AUTOPATHING
MaxPlanck
Customer

Re: Remove This Abomination

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:41 pm

+1 From the videos that i've seen in PVP follow gives ALOT bigger advantage to the pursuer than to escapee.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Dallane » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Learn to click off screen and use the terrain to your advantage.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:02 pm

There's no pathing in autofollow, don't be silly.

In PvP, it's a lot easier to attack a following character and then turn and run again than it is for the follower to take advantage of that pause and attack. Of course, the different speed items and such have their effect on the dynamics of it, but I don't think the follow command gives enough advantage, if it gives one at all, to remove it.

I can't imagine raiding without it, everyone having to control their own characters for the run out there and every run away to reduce the crime debuff? It's tedious enough right now as it is. I'm against anything that makes raiding even a little bit more difficult right now when the defender's situation is already too overpowered.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby gorniksam » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:56 pm

LOL, No
gorniksam

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:02 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:There's no pathing in autofollow, don't be silly.

In PvP, it's a lot easier to attack a following character and then turn and run again than it is for the follower to take advantage of that pause and attack. Of course, the different speed items and such have their effect on the dynamics of it, but I don't think the follow command gives enough advantage, if it gives one at all, to remove it.

I can't imagine raiding without it, everyone having to control their own characters for the run out there and every run away to reduce the crime debuff? It's tedious enough right now as it is. I'm against anything that makes raiding even a little bit more difficult right now when the defender's situation is already too overpowered.

Why don't you limit follow option to just people in your party? If you are concerned only about people runing and reducing crime debuff? Surelly, that would not make raiding more difficult.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Champie » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Champie

Postby MaxPlanck » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Firstly, the person using follow command has their hands completely free to do whatever action it is to negate any retaliation from the person being followed if they were to turn around and attack. It is not easier for a person being followed to stop a follower.
There are various lengths in which a character can be followed, which calls for limited actions that the followed can do for each certain distance.
Long range, the followed can sway the follower into obstacles better.
Mid range, the followed isn't worried about attacks from the follower but he can't stop the follower from following him easily.
Close range, the followed is ... probably not going to be followed using the follow command and the person pursuing is now trying to use leap at to stun from behind while moving with mouse clicks or keyboard. (This has nothing to do with speed items and catching up that way)

Secondly, why should raiders get a free pass to follow each other around. Raiding is suppose to be an active thing, and if people want to use alts for various things and control them all on separate clients then that's THEIR FAULT and THEIR PROBLEM for trying to control multiple clients at once.
Bull **** on being against something for raiding, it has NOTHING to do with raiding and that is the most indirect statement of trying to wiggle the argument in that it actually does.

Instead of complaining how follow should stay because of raiding, how about you fix raiding to supposedly accommodate for the loss of the follow command which does not even directly affect raiding at all.

Salem: The Crafting Alts MMO is too real. It needs to change.

Dallane wrote:Learn to click off screen and use the terrain to your advantage.

I know how to click Dallane. I know how to zoom out. I know how to rotate my camera very well while still moving.
This does not mean ****.

Yes, yes it is autopathing. If someone moves and you still walk towards them, that is automated. You are not moving to where they started, you are moving to where they are currently.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Zapt13 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:22 pm

I think the clicking off-screen comment was misunderstood. I use it like this: line up to walk straight down a path in my mine, start walking with arrow keys, click on a web browser window. My character keeps walking straight with my focus on another window. With no obstacles, he can walk until he hits the end of the tunnel, at which point I click back to Salem and resume mining.
Re-enter your signature!
Zapt13

Postby Darwoth » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:57 pm

lol the easiest way to get killed if you are fighting someone that knows what they are doing at ALL is to put them on autofollow :lol: :lol: :lol:

and yeah i see no need to change this, if someone is to incompetent to hang someone up and break the follow the game does not need to change you do.
Darwoth

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations