Starvation and drowning.

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Starvation and drowning.

Postby Dallane » Sat May 21, 2016 2:40 am

DarkNacht wrote:JC seems uninterested in adding things like starvation and dehydration to the current system, so at least for now, you just have to move your pilgrim to the darkness and refuse to build a church to simulate hunger.

Thats not true.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby DarkNacht » Sat May 21, 2016 5:00 am

Dallane wrote:
DarkNacht wrote:JC seems uninterested in adding things like starvation and dehydration to the current system, so at least for now, you just have to move your pilgrim to the darkness and refuse to build a church to simulate hunger.

Thats not true.

I suppose your right, he isn't against adding it, he just hasn't come up with a mechanic that he likes for it, or at least thats what it seemed like last time I talked to him about it.
Last edited by DarkNacht on Sat May 21, 2016 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
DarkNacht

Postby Reviresco » Sat May 21, 2016 5:03 am

I recall JC has also pondered introducing bathing. Guess he's about sick of our stankin' asses.
Reviresco

Postby Dallane » Sat May 21, 2016 12:44 pm

DarkNacht wrote:
Dallane wrote:

Thats not true.

I suppose your right, he isn't against adding it, he just hasn't come up with a mechanic that he likes for it, or at least thats what it seemed like last time I talked to him about it.

Exactly. It just doesn't really fit currently. The game is however slowly moving into more survival type things. Eventually there will more than likely be hunger and thirst.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Nsuidara » Sat May 21, 2016 12:47 pm

added : body temperature / blood heat

xD
weather: rain, snow, ligh... :P

but i thin better is more thinks in darkness - dungeons, cave and other monsters :P
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby MaxPlanck » Sat May 21, 2016 3:34 pm

A hunger system is pointless. We already eat lots of **** to regen humours.

~Once upon a time~

Super Nub: "Oh dam, my character is getting hungry"
Idiot Nub: "What? There's hunger in this game?"
Super Nub: "Yeah, if you don't eat for awhile you will starve and K.O."
Idiot Nub: "I better eat some more, I have been eating alot to regen my biles but just to be safe I'll eat stuff when I'm already full biles"
Super Nub: "Isn't that a waste of food?"
Idiot Nub: "Not if it stops me from K.O"
Super Nub: "Oh ****, I just starved while I was typing"
Idiot Nub: "Why didn't you eat anything?"
Super Nub: "I forgot to tell you that you aren't allowed to eat anything while at full biles"
Idiot Nub: "So you were just sitting there doing nothing at all?"
Super Nub: "Yeah pretty much"
Idiot Nub: "Now I MAY BE AN IDIOT NUB but this system is just stupid!"

Idiot Nub: "Hey, are you still there?"

And that day, Super Nub permadied from starvation.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby linkfanpc » Mon May 23, 2016 3:54 pm

MaxPlanck wrote:A hunger system is pointless. We already eat lots of **** to regen humours.

~Once upon a time~

Super Nub: "Oh dam, my character is getting hungry"
Idiot Nub: "What? There's hunger in this game?"
Super Nub: "Yeah, if you don't eat for awhile you will starve and K.O."
Idiot Nub: "I better eat some more, I have been eating alot to regen my biles but just to be safe I'll eat stuff when I'm already full biles"
Super Nub: "Isn't that a waste of food?"
Idiot Nub: "Not if it stops me from K.O"
Super Nub: "Oh ****, I just starved while I was typing"
Idiot Nub: "Why didn't you eat anything?"
Super Nub: "I forgot to tell you that you aren't allowed to eat anything while at full biles"
Idiot Nub: "So you were just sitting there doing nothing at all?"
Super Nub: "Yeah pretty much"
Idiot Nub: "Now I MAY BE AN IDIOT NUB but this system is just stupid!"

Idiot Nub: "Hey, are you still there?"

And that day, Super Nub permadied from starvation.

Lol, good point.
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude:
O/
/|
/ \
linkfanpc

Postby pietrko » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:51 pm

I think that hunger is terrific idea and I'm suprised we don't have it yet instead we have some madness mechanics which is poor people version of it.

Hear me out:
Not only hunger would punish people who maintain a ***** of character and play with themselves (which I think isn't great).

Hunger ensures that in-game resource - food (resource 1) and player real time (resource 2) is needed just to maintain a character in game.
Why this is important and impactful?

I think you can agree, that the most precious resource in mmo games like Salem is player's real time. You have (leisure time) for things u like to do and you things don't but have to (work time).

If you introduce hunger you will globally make the "price" of player "work time" higher - this would faciliate trading between players.
Let me explain, currently if you can do an item yourself and have the resources there is no point to buy it.
With increase of player time "price" you will have reason to buy service you could do yourself before.
pietrko
Customer

Postby Kandarim » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:10 pm

You have played this game before, right ? We already have a(n) (inverse) hunger system in place with the gluttony debuff and the quaffed and quenched debuffs, as well as simply the biles draining. If you live in darkness those will knock you down if they get to zero.
Last edited by Kandarim on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby lachlaan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:12 pm

I've been lazy in the past and lived in darkness with no church, that's essentially the same and i still did it all my self. Idea is just another chore for players and it didn't quite work perfectly in Haven, so a variation of it might not be so nice in Salem. Work put in still requires phlegm, still requires the time itself , and would otherwise just require more food intake which is really easy to produce. You'd be hurting newbies alone and pushing them away while advanced players mass produce stuff easily.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations