Remove bear roar damage.

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Remove bear roar damage.

Postby zekkan7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:46 pm

This was the big make it or break it with me, I was on top of a mountain, first time encountering a bear since last time I've played the game, thinking I was safe the bear roared me to unconsciousness. I can understand perhaps this was added to make it harder for hunters with guns, but wow.... owned by a bear roar... or being chased infinitely forever by a snake this makes so much sense.... Here I thought snakes were more wait and attack their prey, I had no idea they were full offensive and chased you forever. The bear was so powerful it roared me into uninstalling.
zekkan7

Re: Remove bear roar damage.

Postby Pjotr84 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Bear roar distance isn't that far, really. And running away from snakes isn't that hard, just turn on "Run" and run until you lose it. If this is enough to make you uninstall, this might not be the game for you, but I'd urge you to at least try it again at some point.
Mushibag wrote: Pjotr confirmed racist.

RIP Gemini
Pjotr84

Postby staxjax » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Dunno about you, but whenever I take a break from a game and come back first thing I do is go look for all the changes that have been made since I last played. I little bit of research might have prevented this from happening to you!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby zekkan7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Add some realism to the game and I'll give it another try. Bear roars don't knock someone unconscious. Snakes only chase to up to 5 feet they aren't designed to chase for long distances. Snakes surprise attack and normally hunt near their dens so they can escape their own predators. Snakes normally stay within 1/2 to a max of 3 miles of their dens. Walking scares most snakes away since they see with infer red and smell and only pick up sound waves with their tongue. Snakes hunt by stealth and silent slow movements.

@Staxjax I'm not you, I enjoy discovering in games. I also dislike when something was suppose to be logical but isn't. Read other sections of the forums I'm not the only one completely blind sided by a situation that was suppose to be safe but was actually not. If you need help one is of bear attacks going through town walls. Technically I shouldn't be surprised by this when crickets can kick your butt in this game, I guess I should of read the patch notes, not really sure why I thought this game was realistic. I guess it's the name Salem and being based off a history date that makes it misleading with realistic like studying and crafting but magical bears and creatures that can whoop your butt magically.

I definitely feel the programmer should add in snakes near dens that would be really cool. As for bears fear should make you run faster as in fight or flight situation, which I feel would also be surprisingly cool too. Remove the damage it applies or if does any it should be measured by the distance you are to the bear. If your above the bear and bears are afraid of height the bear should run away from you instead. Should be survival skills that scare wild animals away, it's practically in our nature. For example when searching inside logs and trees and holes or tall grasses (normally where snakes are) can get bit from reaching your hand inside. Much more snake like and unexpected making the game more versatile and not repetitive. Oh no I see a wild animal, I just avoid it...

A really cool idea is snake dens with snake eggs can attempt to steal eggs and then snake can chase you 10 miles, that would be much better. That I could understand since you took it's babies. Throwing food to distract animals or object is also a nice idea. Maybe I'll give the game another try, but I'll sure have to avoid magic bears and snakes next time. I program games myself and if it's anything I've learned people want to play as better things then they are like real muscle or strong etc... I'm not sure being afraid of a bear and dieing from it's roars count as that but oh well.
zekkan7

Postby Darwoth » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 pm

translation: i am mad that i was retarded and stood next to a bear for the 2 - 4 minutes that it generally takes for them to roar once and lost all of my snails and mushrooms that took me an entire minute to acquire.

to bad the bear got you before a pk did, that would have been a far more entertaining throw in the towel post.
Darwoth

Postby Darwoth » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 pm

also if crickets are kicking your ass you are doing something wrong, should be able to take them out fairly easily with 7 - 10 humors and punch.
Darwoth

Postby jorb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:35 am

I agree that a lot of the animals could be subtler and/or more realistic in their behaviors, but it's a question of priorities. A roaring bear now is better than an awesomely realistic but equally dangerous bear in 8 months.
jorb

Postby zekkan7 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 am

For one a new player goes down from about 5-6 bears roars, Which it roars about every 2-3 seconds. If your collecting things and thinking it was safe, your going down almost instantly in 10 seconds. The roar distance is at least 62x62 pixel length away. As for mad about it being a challenge no, mad that I feel this game has a potential and bears roaring is careless attempt at making this game harder, yes. This game should have a much much much much higher player base with all the people who are loving sand box type games right now and as of the moment it is one of the lowest.

@Darwoth Get your facts straight, I don't believe you've ever encountered a bear on this game. 10 seconds isn't 2-4 mins and 62x62 distance isn't next to a bear. I wasn't beaten by any crickets last time I played just a simple factor of they will be adding realistic sized ants soon. These ants will be the strongest out of all the creatures lifting 3x their body weight and tossing players aside and down cliffs to unconsciousness.
zekkan7

Postby Dallane » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:25 am

zekkan7 wrote:For one a new player goes down from about 5-6 bears roars, Which it roars about every 2-3 seconds. If your collecting things and thinking it was safe, your going down almost instantly in 10 seconds. The roar distance is at least 62x62 pixel length away. As for mad about it being a challenge no, mad that I feel this game has a potential and bears roaring is careless attempt at making this game harder, yes. This game should have a much much much much higher player base with all the people who are loving sand box type games right now and as of the moment it is one of the lowest.

Why in the world would you go near a bear when you are foraging? Bears are the best meat in game they need to be "hard" (i guess a noob would see them as hard) to kill.

Bears have nothing to do with the player base rofl.

zekkan7 wrote:@Darwoth Get your facts straight, I don't believe you've ever encountered a bear on this game.

lololol what a noob darwoth is. guy never fought a op bear
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Potjeh » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:37 am

What's so unrealistic about getting scared unconscious? Happens all the time IRL. Hell, you can die of fear IRL.
Potjeh

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations