SNAKES!

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: SNAKES!

Postby Vigilance » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:53 am

I kind of agree with antivenom being too expensive. I don't however agree with non-permanent venom. It adds a certain aspect to snake hunting that would be hard to replace, imo. :)
Suffragium wrote:I love sausages.
Vigilance

Postby Bluestone » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 am

Add the ability to have a fellow player suck out the venom lol (but seriously).

If you think about it, meeting up with a fellow player for a lot of people is a risky thing so asking someone to suck out the poison adds a new dimension of danger.

EDIT: Quick google search says it wouldn't be effective in reality to suck out the venom, at most you would suck out any venom near the surface but not enough to prevent poisoning.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Potjeh » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 pm

I think if any nerf to snakes is needed, it should be "dry" bites, ie they shouldn't inject venom on every successful hit.
Potjeh

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:15 am

Potjeh wrote:I think if any nerf to snakes is needed, it should be "dry" bites, ie they shouldn't inject venom on every successful hit.

Perhaps influenced by clothing in some way.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby ShadowTani » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:40 am

robo19 wrote:1. Snakes auto-aggro which pairs so well with the "invisible" client bug!
2. Poison costs WAYYYYYY too much, 250 silver is extremely expensive!!!! No logical person would pay 250s unless they are very high leveled stats where it takes 5+ singling logs to max a stat!
3. Snakes are EVERYWHERE!!!!! Considering how overpowered I'd expect these in the darkness; or at the very least as common as a bear! I'd say they are currently more popular than Deer!
4. Faster than walking!!!!!! (If im running away! clearly I cant win so why top it with inevitable death?!)
5. strikes!!!!!

1. Can't comment on this because I haven't experienced that bug. o_O
2. It should cost a lot considering the rare ingredients that goes into it - but yes, it's somewhat overpriced. It should cost less than 250s for sure, but no less than 150s.
3. It's the second least spawned mob for me, behind dears. Of course, it depends on the biome - if you settled in a biome with more snakes than bunnies it's time to bounce off.
4. Faster than walking, yes. Faster than running? No... You aren't running constantly, you got toggle abilities that let you run or walk fast - you move faster than a snake even in wanderer mode.
5. Auto-aggro is good, it's one of two of their weaknesses - if you had to strike it first to aggro it you would risk getting poisoned way easily, if it aggro's you first you can take it out much more easily without great risk of getting hit. I find myself more often frustrated about it's slow rate of aggro than the other way around. o.O

I kill a snake or two each day, and so far I still only use unarmed combat against them, mixed with some patience which is why I don't intentionally go hunting them yet. My yellow bile is just 14 so I don't one-hit them, yet I only gotten poisoned once since the wipe, which was an AFK moment. I'll increase my snake hunting rate once I got fencing, and might get into serious antidote production to sell to players once I get firearms. Snakes aren't that bad, I'm sure the devs could come up with something way more sinister than that. ;3
ShadowTani

Can the Rattler "AI" be adjusted to use Ground Spawns as cov

Postby Ketu » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:02 pm

About Rattlers showing up on custom clients mini maps: Can the Rattlers AI be adjusted so occasionally it moves the Rattlers from Ground Spawn to Ground Spawn?

The snakes could be using the Ground Spawn mini map icons on the custom clients as 'cover' to help hide them from players. They already look like rocks when stationary.
Ketu

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Given the current rate of silver gain, 250s isn't too bad, especially when you can avoid getting poisoned often enough. It takes me about an hour to two hours killing crickets to make that, and that's with only about 10 ea in YBile and Blood. (Takes me longer to find crickets than it does to kill and heal up after the fight.) Now, if the amount of silver flowing in/out of the game changes, sure, the price will need to be adjusted.

As far as the snakes AI: what's the point? Custom clients can be made so the snakes (and other animals) show up first. With just the default client, it's pretty easy to tell what a snake is and what isn't. (Snakes are the ones in constant motion, whether spinning around and coiling or going from point A to B.)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations