Skinnable UI

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Skinnable UI

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:52 pm

staxjax wrote:4but it would be nice if the screen wouldnt rotate on its own :/

This would be good enough for me. I like to think of the camera in Warcraft 3. It stays focused on the action without showing too much at once zoomed in or all the way out. It doesn't rotate unless you tell it to. I think the trailing camera is the biggest complaint about it. (It's mine, at least.)

I think the trailing camera works great for FPS type games and MMOs where you have very recognizable terrain and relatively small maps that can be memorized by the average player. The terrain here is so vast that it's hard to find landmarks without making your own.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby APXEOLOG » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:55 pm

loftar wrote:Such as what? I'm open to suggestions, but you know I won't accept the freecam as an answer. ;)

Why not? As i understand FreeCam was developed by you, you just desabled it :)
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:56 pm

staxjax wrote:it would be nice if the screen wouldnt rotate on its own :/

Sure, I've heard enough people complaining about that that I'll make that an alternative, at least. As soon as time permits, that is (it's not my topmost priority).

For the record, though, I like the rotating camera quite a bit, if for no other reason then because it doesn't enforce a "canonical angle" of the world. One aspect I've always disliked about the fixed cameras of FPS games of various kinds is that it gives you an initial angle which you get so used to seeing the world from that the other angles end up being "wrong" angles.

APXEOLOG wrote:
loftar wrote:Such as what? I'm open to suggestions, but you know I won't accept the freecam as an answer. ;)

Why not? As i understand FreeCam was developed by you, you just desabled it :)

Sure, but that was just because the FreeCam was the easiest one to write (and thus the first one I wrote, just to have something), not because I liked it. :)
loftar

Postby APXEOLOG » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:07 pm

loftar wrote:Sure, but that was just because the FreeCam was the easiest one to write (and thus the first one I wrote, just to have something), not because I liked it. :)

Watching through HnH client history there is tend to sacrifice everything due to usability.

Also i agree with you - there couldn't be one 'best' client because every player has own vision of great UI. But the key to get them all is maximum customisation. At least between two states "usability" <-> "pretty styling". You should more think about what players like, then about what exactly do you like (no offense from me, just my bitter experience)
APXEOLOG

Postby sabinati » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:15 pm

loftar wrote:
sabinati wrote:How about a better camera for default client at least?

Such as what? I'm open to suggestions, but you know I won't accept the freecam as an answer. ;)

conceivedinlibertycam
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Emina » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:41 am

these are changes i would like.

:( if you dont want flattening tool then fine, would you consider atleast giving us a mesuring tool. i want to be able to mesure how many tiles it is in one direktion and so on. this is not something i would have on all the time, just when i need to mesure something.

i also want to be able to rezize the minimap. the current one is just way to small for the kind of terrain we are trying to navigate in when exploring. at home it might be fine but when walking around its agony with such a small minimap especially when stuck in a crazy maze of ridges that needs climbing as an example, then you really wanna know wich direktion seems best to go before your food runs out and so on.

The camera! this is the absolute worst thing about the default client and it makes me wait to play at all until the custom clients are up and running nowdays, as a matter of fact i would probably not have continued to play Salem at all if it wasnt for the custom client for 2 reasons alone, the minimap and the camera. so freecam might be a bit too free for you guys, but what is most important to me is as previous posters have said, stop it from moving on its own (it makes me seasick and disoriented, in this type of terrain especially) maybe it works for some people but not for me. i also want to be able to tilt the camera a little bit more up and down as i go thru different hights and what not, in some angles you cant see a bloody thing with the default non movable tilt. the crazy zooom out range is not neccesary however, the default zoom range is good enugh as it is!

Some people might like the cam as it is and continue to use your cam setting even if you introduce more choices, but it beeing forced upon people as the only choice, might hinder a lot of people from enjoying the game enugh to make them stop playing in the end.

some of my old village mates even tryed Salem a few times in alpha but absolutley refused to continue playing it with me, with the explenation that they can not stand the camera and the disorientation it creates. and they are pretty much vetarans of H&H. For some, it is an actual gamebraking problem.
Emina

Postby APXEOLOG » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:18 pm

I don't know why do you guys disslike default camera so much. I always play with default one.
APXEOLOG

Postby Tonkyhonk » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 pm

loftar wrote:For the record, though, I like the rotating camera quite a bit, if for no other reason then because it doesn't enforce a "canonical angle" of the world. One aspect I've always disliked about the fixed cameras of FPS games of various kinds is that it gives you an initial angle which you get so used to seeing the world from that the other angles end up being "wrong" angles.

for the record, loftar, i dont mind your aesthetics, but my own health is more important :) my poor semicircular canals or whatever cannot take too much rotating world, unfortunately.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Argost » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Loftar can you tell us why the font and mini map are so small? I love this game but absolutely do not understand why the font is so small and no way to increase it. And the blue text on party chat is frankly un readable. I know you have tons to do, but these changes could sure go a long ways to keeping people playing.
Argost

Postby sabinati » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:45 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:I don't know why do you guys disslike default camera so much. I always play with default one.

i just want to have it not rotate and have about 10-15 degrees of tilt and i would be satisfied

Argost wrote:Loftar can you tell us why the font and mini map are so small? I love this game but absolutely do not understand why the font is so small and no way to increase it. And the blue text on party chat is frankly un readable. I know you have tons to do, but these changes could sure go a long ways to keeping people playing.

loftar plays games at 640x480 so the fonts are actually huge on his monitor! (it's just a function of him not spending much time working on the ui because he's doing Server Stuff)
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations