Building Style

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Building Style

Postby Etherdrifter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Currrently our villages in salem are great fun. Nice to look at.

This is really just a suggestion on how to allow more diversity without too many mechs (also a good silver sink)

Simply put players can learn different building styles, any building with alternate building style becomes a submenu for those building styles. The build structure simply has a different skin, identical function.

For example

Build->Structures->Pilgrim Hovel

Becomes

Build->Structures->Pilgrim's Hovel->Native Hovel (Requires dried hides in place of boards)
->Colonial Hovel

Each of these is unlocked with the respective building style skill. Players gain either native or colonial for free upon character creation.

To unlock other styles a book must be purchased from boston and read it. This unlocks the "X style" skill, which can then be learned normally. Each book is single use.

I would suggest a price of 10,000 silver to unlock the opposite "faction" building skills. Other styles could be added for events and temporary sales. A money maker (shoring up that extra silver) and also a bit more variety in structural looks!
..........Image
So very many skeletons...
.....Necromancers Guild
Etherdrifter

Re: Building Style

Postby Uberness » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:27 am

most people would just make an alt(or have another villager with the other skill set) to get the other buildings instead of actually spending the cash...I do like the idea though. one thing I've always disliked in HnH is how everything looks the exact same, I like aesthetics!
Uberness

Postby Mrfidler » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:43 am

How about this. You do not start with one of the listed styles but instead can purchase them. (though 10k seems a bit steep. Maybe 1,500?)
Mrfidler

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:45 pm

+1 for the idea, but I doubt we'll see this implemented anytime soon, though. It takes a good bit of programming and a lot of art. I'm sure Paradox loves the idea of more ways to get people to spend silver.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby darnokpl » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Etherdrifter wrote:To unlock other styles a book must be purchased from boston and read it. This unlocks the "X style" skill, which can then be learned normally. Each book is single use.

I would suggest a price of 10,000 silver to unlock the opposite "faction" building skills. Other styles could be added for events and temporary sales. A money maker (shoring up that extra silver) and also a bit more variety in structural looks!

My suggestion (something simpler imho):
- make skill three for different building styles, but those skill should be like any other skills, you can learn it when you get required proficiencies,
- for every new building style player must buy in Boston scroll/script (like for stake claim) and add it to construction (this should allow to make many variations of any building and will let players to spend huge amounts of silver just to make their home look better :) ),
darnokpl

Postby alloin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:06 pm

The King would pay well for a Castle !
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Return to Ideas & Innovations