Stalls of boston.

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Stalls of boston.

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Procne wrote:Now, about secure trading system - simple secure trade window (as available in most MMOs) would let people avoid being scammed. And it would be real convenience over having to secure your transactions by positioning yourself properly near barrel, kinning your trader and splitting transaction into small parts to minimize scamming threat. Unless you consider greg's scamming very cool and important feature of the game?

As for the stalls... Please read my proposition in 4th post or so. The way I see it it would effectively: a) stop people from using stalls as secure storage b) stop people from buying stalls to prevent other people from using them = more people can use those c) provide additional silver sink d) make stall offers more meaningful

why are you on a trade system stop derailing. this is about stalls in boston and how they should be removed.

who would ever want to buy 1 slot in a stall? its like someone trying to buy 1 button in a vending machine. that makes no sense.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Procne » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:36 pm

Dallane wrote:why are you on a trade system stop derailing. this is about stalls in boston and how they should be removed.

Uhm, you started talking about removing trade in Boston completely:
Boston in general should only be open for noobs to see them off after they do the tutorial quest
Who is derailing here?

who would ever want to buy 1 slot in a stall? its like someone trying to buy 1 button in a vending machine. that makes no sense.

Well, I would want to buy 1 slot in a stall if I had only one type of item to sell. I don't understand why doesn't 1 slot make sense and 6 slots suddenly do.
Why does buying 6 slots to keep them empty makes more sense than buying slots as you use them?

For clarification - each player can buy (or rather rent) as many slots as he wants.
Procne

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Procne wrote:Well, I would want to buy 1 slot in a stall if I had only one type of item to sell. I don't understand why doesn't 1 slot make sense and 6 slots suddenly do.
Why does buying 6 slots to keep them empty makes more sense than buying slots as you use them?

because buying one slot along with the rest of your idea is retarded?

you know it will run into the same problem as before right? people will just buy them all and sit on it to cut competition.

Since casuals such as yourself hate sandbox and community building then just dropping the current system all together and make a auction house that anyone can post items with a fee is the next best idea to removing the stalls.

to continue your derail making the barrels only 2 way along with a accept button and 2 boxes to show trades would work and help kill off the sandbox further.

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Procne » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Did you read my idea? It will not lead to the same thing because keeping all slots taken would require a lot of silver. You still won't say why exactly is the idea retarded

As offtopic, I will say that your idea of community building by flaming anyone who doesn't agree with you is strange.
Procne

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:09 pm

Procne wrote:Did you read my idea? It will not lead to the same thing because keeping all slots taken would require a lot of silver. You still won't say why exactly is the idea retarded

As offtopic, I will say that your idea of community building by flaming anyone who doesn't agree with you is strange.

do you have any idea how much silver people have laying around?

Dallane

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:26 pm

1. How about we let Seatribe decide what Boston (and any other colonies) is for? After all, they have to filter all of their decisions through and get approval by Paradox.

2. The stalls in Boston don't work because:
A) There's not enough of them,
B) it's possible for one player to buy them all up
C) players want secure storage and will find whatever means to get it.

3. It is completely possible to set a trade hub right on the Boston border and to effectively patrol it. The only question is who do we trust in the game to do this? Right now nobody has proven strong enough or dedicated enough (have people ready 24/7) to provide this service. Or we could just trust everyone to leave said hub alone, but I give that about as much chance as trying to sail a leaky dinghy across the Atlantic.

A couple further comments: A secure trade system would be grand, but people will still get scammed. Idiocy knows no bounds and we all make mistakes. Private secure storage would be awesome. It would eliminate the need to use stalls as storage (there's been other suggestions on how to nerf this as well which is why I suggested earlier these threads get consolidated) as well as alt vaults.

The idea of a market in Boston is just fine. It's not a perfect solution, of course, but it is something for the players to use. I just want to give the friendly (and probably unnecessary) reminder that there is exactly one programmer working on this game. The next smallest MMO I've seen was four programmers on a team of 5 (fifth was the design guy).
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:37 pm

We have three options here:

1. I can lock this thread,
2. I can ban people for a day so you can cool down,
3. We play nice and quit flaming each other.

This is an idea discussion thread. Try to be respectful of each others' ideas no matter how bad you think they sound. You might be able to convince another person of your point of view if you provide good logical explanations of something. Beating someone over the head with the same bullet point just makes a bloody, irritating hole. Try a different tact and they might come around to see what you're getting at (even if they never agree with you).
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Procne » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:46 pm

MagicManICT wrote:1. How about we let Seatribe decide what Boston (and any other colonies) is for? After all, they have to filter all of their decisions through and get approval by Paradox.

2. The stalls in Boston don't work because:
A) There's not enough of them,
B) it's possible for one player to buy them all up
C) players want secure storage and will find whatever means to get it.

3. It is completely possible to set a trade hub right on the Boston border and to effectively patrol it. The only question is who do we trust in the game to do this? Right now nobody has proven strong enough or dedicated enough (have people ready 24/7) to provide this service. Or we could just trust everyone to leave said hub alone, but I give that about as much chance as trying to sail a leaky dinghy across the Atlantic.

A couple further comments: A secure trade system would be grand, but people will still get scammed. Idiocy knows no bounds and we all make mistakes. Private secure storage would be awesome. It would eliminate the need to use stalls as storage (there's been other suggestions on how to nerf this as well which is why I suggested earlier these threads get consolidated) as well as alt vaults.

The idea of a market in Boston is just fine. It's not a perfect solution, of course, but it is something for the players to use. I just want to give the friendly (and probably unnecessary) reminder that there is exactly one programmer working on this game. The next smallest MMO I've seen was four programmers on a team of 5 (fifth was the design guy).

Well, obivously there is no way to stop people from scamming as you said. But so far the only safe method of trading is through stalls, even for people who know the game / are not idiots. This is especially problematic when you want to trade single, high value item.

Could I ask you to look over my idea and see if it (potentially) fixes problems with stalls that you mentioned, while still being viable method of trading?
Procne

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:52 pm

I think it does fix some things, but I'm not sure it's the most ideal solution. (I have my own "pet" solution that I'd rather see implemented. ;) )I did read it over, but given the length this has carried on now, I'd probably have to read it over again to discuss finer points which I really don't feel like doing as I have to agree with a post earlier in that this may just be a placeholder mechanic until devs have time to work on it more. (It could be to solution they want and they just need to refine it, too...)
MagicManICT

Postby Mrfidler » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 pm

I have read through a lot of the comments and there are a lot of great points so I am gonna add my cent into the discussion. Here are some points that are either my own or others just what I think best solutions in no particular order.

1. Lets look at their last game. H&H trading system was very effective but not necessarily safe to either side. While I agree a safe hub is very nice idea is it the best? Well I do not have an answer but for this to work you would have to have a way to get people to you. Which has way too many ways to be abused since people already hate alt porting that could be a problem.

2. I noticed a temp fix idea was more stalls. Well that got me thinking that if we had like a trade village. like an place you could warp to or as I was thinking use a boat to get to that is just a massive village full of like 100+ stalls and what not.

3. Go the standard mmo route. have a searchable thing and remove stalls altogether just making people pay to have items listed. or pay for slots that you can put stuff into like the stalls with a rent.

4. Say screw it and let people trade in barrels still.
Mrfidler

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations