Stalls of boston.

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Stalls of boston.

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:40 am

Procne wrote:And how did people travel to and from this market? What did they pay with? Who secured it?

Signs were given out to people. for this to work in salem there would have to be a location near boston. They paid with pearls and other valuables. Ainran/dis secured it. All the factions used it and didn't attack it until hell broke loose.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Procne » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:04 am

So in other words, secutiry was provided by strongest faction, because it felt like doing it.

In Salem what is the strongest faction? You and Bait? Sorry, but I would never trust you with securing anything.

Actually this what I would prefer to avoid - being dependant on couple of people and their mood.
From what I see market in H&H was created because no such feature was given by devs. How many worlds it took before players tried to that? There was no such thing a year ago (it was world 6?). And even then it failed.
Procne

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:13 am

Procne wrote:So in other words, secutiry was provided by strongest faction, because it felt like doing it.

In Salem what is the strongest faction? You and Bait? Sorry, but I would never trust you with securing anything.

Actually this what I would prefer to avoid - being dependant on couple of people and their mood.
From what I see market in H&H was created because no such feature was given by devs. How many worlds it took before players tried to that? There was no such thing a year ago (it was world 6?). And even then it failed.

They wanted to do something with the community. The supper grid the market was in was also a safe haven for people to not worry about being raided.

Don't really care who you trust or how you feel. Having a player made market is 100x better then a few people owning all the stalls in boston. i got thousands of silver waiting to buy more stalls when they come out.

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Procne » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:20 am

That's why this thread comes with ideas for different solutions to stalls. It's not about whether stalls are better than comminity market
Procne

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:21 am

Procne wrote:That's why this thread comes with ideas for different solutions to stalls. It's not about whether stalls are better than comminity market

yet that is a idea for stalls

Dallane

Postby Procne » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:18 am

Darwoth wrote:shouldnt even be stalls in boston, if folks want a vendor stall it should be in a player constructed hub with all of the risk that entails as it was in HH

Currently there are no means to quickly travel with goods to anywhere else than Boston. Nobody will be going on foot to trading hub.
And why should it be player controlled, with all the risks? Why can't we have some secure trading system?
Procne

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:23 am

Procne wrote:
Darwoth wrote:shouldnt even be stalls in boston, if folks want a vendor stall it should be in a player constructed hub with all of the risk that entails as it was in HH

Currently there are no means to quickly travel with goods to anywhere else than Boston. Nobody will be going on foot to trading hub.
And why should it be player controlled, with all the risks? Why can't we have some secure trading system?

They would go there if that was the only place that had stalls not controlled by 3 different people. Its a sandbox game. Boston in general should only be open for noobs to see them off after they do the tutorial quest.

Dallane

Postby Procne » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:53 am

They wouldn't go there to buy / sell 120 pieces of lime or 20 hay. Nobody will travel for hour (or longer) one way to buy something with low value. Especially if there will be 10 Chiefs waiting right outside the market to gank travelers. Right now the idea of market hub without teleportation sounds more like a way to gather all potential victims in one place so that raiders don't have to run too much.

And again, why should it (market hub) be player controlled, with all the risks? Why can't we have some secure trading system? The way it worked (or not) in H&H is not a valid argument, it's merely an example.
Procne

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Procne wrote:They wouldn't go there to buy / sell 120 pieces of lime or 20 hay. Nobody will travel for hour (or longer) one way to buy something with low value. Especially if there will be 10 Chiefs waiting right outside the market to gank travelers. Right now the idea of market hub without teleportation sounds more like a way to gather all potential victims in one place so that raiders don't have to run too much.

And again, why should it (market hub) be player controlled, with all the risks? Why can't we have some secure trading system? The way it worked (or not) in H&H is not a valid argument, it's merely an example.

i never said remove barrels from boston. the topic is about stalls. They don't work in boston because like i said 3ish people control them. its going to be the exact same thing if more are added. Having a player village for higher quality things is much better then yelling in boston or asking in irc only to have no one interested. If you are worried about raiders then you need to learn how to build a real town.

Why would you want a secure trade system? you might as well ask for no permadeath

Dallane

Postby Procne » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Ok, we are starting to talk about totally different things.

You said that Boston should only be open for noobs. That means no barrel trading for normal players.
You said that the only trade hubs should be those created by players.

I said that using player trade hubs WITHOUT teleportation system means long travel times and danger of being attacked while in travel. Effectively most raiders would camp hub's borders waiting for traders to come, then kill and rob them. Learning to build real town has nothing to do with this.

Now, about secure trading system - simple secure trade window (as available in most MMOs) would let people avoid being scammed. And it would be real convenience over having to secure your transactions by positioning yourself properly near barrel, kinning your trader and splitting transaction into small parts to minimize scamming threat. Unless you consider greg's scamming very cool and important feature of the game?

As for the stalls... Please read my proposition in 4th post or so. The way I see it it would effectively: a) stop people from using stalls as secure storage b) stop people from buying stalls to prevent other people from using them = more people can use those c) provide additional silver sink d) make stall offers more meaningful

If Jorb and Loftar don't like the idea of people trading without having to discuss / plan their trades or risk being scammed then fine - current system will stay.
Procne

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations