heraldry

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

heraldry

Postby Qukatt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:36 pm

In response to a thread elsewhere I would like to see a way to signpost your claims with town heraldry, a simple banner sign type thing where you can choose the image on the banner would be good, some basic colours would also be good handled in the way on dying cloths with items thusly;

Blue from berries
Purple from blewetts
Red from devilworts
Black from charcoal
Green from mortal leaves
Orange from pumpkins or maple leaves
Etc

And a loom to make the banner

As for the designs on the banner that is a trickier part. A simple bitmap editor could be a solution or a preset selection to choose from.
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out. - Battlebug (Sw:tor forums pre-wipe)
Qukatt

Re: heraldry

Postby Bluestone » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Myrtle leaves lol :D
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Qukatt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:21 am

that's what happens why you don't sleep XD

I'm going to let the typo stand for future lols
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out. - Battlebug (Sw:tor forums pre-wipe)
Qukatt

Postby sabinati » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:09 pm

they should just sell dyes in boston imo.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:56 pm

sabinati wrote:they should just sell dyes in boston imo.

Should, or will?
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Qukatt » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 pm

I don't know, maybe some special dye should be sold from the boston stalls but I think the majority of common colours should be player made.

But dye isn't the topic here, The ability to craft your own town banners and heraldry is :)
Qukatt

Postby Shealladh » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 am

Cool idea, be nice to have some personalised banners on your claim.
The way I see it, you could have something like the Wooden Sign, Town Bell, Lamp Post, Blazing Brazier, and Stake Claim having options. Maybe for the Town Bell, for example, it could be upgraded to a Bell Tower with a colour flag/banner added.

The Wooden Sign could have colour tassles.
Lamp Post, a coloured light source.
Town Bell, a small tower building or town square thingy.
Blazing Brazier, add a dye to the coal before refueling. May give off coloured smoke?
Stake Claim, a custom plaque you can purchase in Boston showing your heraldry with a flag on top.

Alot of dyes come from various sources, plants (roots, berries, bark, leaves, and wood (ie. Logwood) , fungi, and lichens: Woad, indigo, saffron, madder), minerals (Tyrian Purple from a seashell, Kermes (red from an insect) or cochineal (crimson red or Carmine) , Salt (Potash) + pigments via precipitated method (bioling pot on a campfire?)) and animals.

For creating patterns on clothing, rugs etc, Resist Dyeing used wax as well as weaving on a loom.

Dyes could use something like the tanning tub, but you add a pigment plus the item to be coloured, say leather.

You could even have a stovetop, like the baker's oven, but you select a pot it opens the item slots while in you inventory, then right click it onto the stove to start the process. But I like the idea of boiling wool cloth in a cauldron :D

Could this all lead to something like alchemy skill as well?

Alchemy>Potion>>Dye pigment
Alchemy>Dyeing Tub>>Dye pigment
Alchemy>Mortar and Pestle>>Niter or Nitre (found in desert arid biome) >>Fertiliser
Alchemy>Mortar and Pestle>>Serpentine>>Black Powder
Alchemy>Mortar and Pestle>>Corning>>Gunpowder

I think this would work well into the Salt, Mercury, Sulphur and Lead component system quite well :D
Shealladh

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:53 am

sabinati wrote:they should just sell dyes in boston imo.

I'd like to see some player made dies, but the nicest ones being "imported" from overseas.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Return to Ideas & Innovations