the top long going lifes of player die and the day char make to day char die
the top town players on max players in town
the top player on land in use
the top town on land in use
the top players in hrs on game for the week

a good idea ?

not at all
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Re: rankings

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:56 pm

eh... do it or don't do it, I think there's going to be tons of opinions either way. It does have an effect on gameplay, though, and attitudes inside the game.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby painhertz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:10 am

I can't even imagine how much coding would be required for such a thing, and Loftar don't code things unless he likes em. lol
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby Chiprel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:12 am

radkid1 wrote:the top outlaw players on looting
the top outlaw players on killing of player
the top long going lifes of player die and the day char make to day char die
the top town players on max players in town
the top player on land in use
the top town on land in use
the top players in hrs on game for the week

a good idea ?

I think that making ranking like that wouldnt be hard (at least for most things you listed). Problem is that some players/towns wouldn't want to be listed on it(cause it might make em targets) and some players would just abuse system to get on top of the ranking (killing alts/stealing from their own alts etc).
If we got some kind of ranking I would be more interested in crops/metal/water(when implemented) purity. Something like: "Purest cereals on server are 50 %pure salt" etc.
But like I said most people would not want to share info like that.(including me).

Instead I would like Jorbtar to run some sort of script on serv database which would list:
This week X pilgrims died.
This week average humorous of fallen pilgrims were X/Y/Z/C *-for pilgrims with more than 50h playtime
This week highest humorous of fallen pilgrim were X/Y/Z/C
This week X newb pilgrims were killed *-players with at least one stat below 50% of average humorous (average humorous counted from players with at least 50h playtime)
This week X average pilgrims were killed *-players with all humorous between 50%-150% of average humorous (average humorous counted from players with at least 50h playtime)
This week X veterans died *-players with humorous above 150% of average ones (average humorous counted from players with at least 50h playtime)
^I'm assuming that server is holding info about dead chars just like hnh did. (in hnh you can access your account info and see current and dead char stats, when char was created/died etc).
Would be nice to have that info in our sexy Tumbleweed Courant to see how killing trend changes over time ¦]
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:47 am

Chiprel wrote:Problem is that some players/towns wouldn't want to be listed on it(cause it might make em targets) and some players would just abuse system to get on top of the ranking (killing alts/stealing from their own alts etc).

1. I think they'd just be stuck. It'd be a part of the game and they'd have to learn to deal with it. If they become targets, it's because they put themselves there.

2. It's fact that people will play the killboard just for the best ranking (same goes true for any other ranking board or achievement), but I rarely have seen anyone killing their own alts to get there.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Procne » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:12 am

I can already imagine how much more fun would game become if people started competing with each other in hunting other players or looting. Imagine Boston borders being camped 24 / 7 by people looking for easy frags on noobs. Salem turning from crafting MMO into deathmatch (or rather last man standing?)

Not to mention - how to prevent abuse? People killing their own alts or looting their alts' claims etc.
Procne

Postby Uberness » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:52 pm

MagicManICT wrote:1. I think they'd just be stuck. It'd be a part of the game and they'd have to learn to deal with it. If they become targets, it's because they put themselves there.

any game mechanic that wasn't already in place when a group starts doing things that will make them a target when its installed is a bad idea in my opinion. I know being able to see which towns/players are doing better than others would be a great way for raiders to pick targets that they know will pay off...this information isn't available now(unless you do a bunch of scouting/espionage) and adding it makes those players targets, so this is not something that should be added!
Uberness

Postby milonti » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:14 pm

I agree that this would get people targeted. Probably not the best thing to include.
milonti

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Uberness wrote:this information isn't available now(unless you do a bunch of scouting/espionage) and adding it makes those players targets, so this is not something that should be added!

I don't think something like this could be added mid-build, anyway, and be accurate. That'd be a monster headache processing all that back information (assuming it would even be possible). I really don't see how any of the bits in the opening post would provide the kind of information that would make a huge raid target, anyway, other than the number of PKs. (And these folks will be a target just because they have more than a few scents out....) Land controlled, while a sign of wealth, is also a sign of a lot of other things as well, such as strong defenses (good defenses take up a lot of space).
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations